Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
cut.jpeg

Psst...Vey...behind you...

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Yeah, Etem's the one who really stuck out for me on that play during the game.

It started with Bartkowski chasing onto Pedan's side, which left Pedan and Vey both scrambling to get the wide open player on the side he vacated. At least they were all trying to check someone, though. Etem… not so much.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Had a dream that we drafted Austin Matthews, and our depth down the middle next season was Henrik, Matthews, Horvat and Sutter...with guys like Vey and McCann anchoring the middle in Utica....now that would be something to see.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well to be fair to Vey there, he's 1 of 3 forwards who took nobody on that goal.

I'm not 100% on NHL positioning, but I'd think typically that section of the ice is the center's responsibility while the wingers collapse down low. As a center himself Gaunce probably realized that Vey ****ed up so he's trying to get in there to cover for him, but as a winger probably started from too far out.

Or at least that's what I'm reading from that single picture, didn't actually see the goal in question last night.

Edit: Looking at the replay now it was off the rush and things broke down... was actually Bartkowski that took himself out of position to throw a little bump on Lehtera after he passed the puck, forcing Vey to try and cover Schwarz.

Last edited:

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
It started with Bartkowski chasing onto Pedan's side, which left Pedan and Vey both scrambling to get the wide open player on the side he vacated. At least they were all trying to check someone, though. Etem… not so much.

I'm not 100% on NHL positioning, but I'd think typically that section of the ice is the center's responsibility while the wingers collapse down low. As a center himself Gaunce probably realized that Vey ****ed up so he's trying to get in there to cover for him, but as a winger probably started from too far out.

Or at least that's what I'm reading from that single picture, didn't actually see the goal in question last night.

Above is what happened. Ideally, Bartkowski stays on his side and they all take a man. He started the mad scramble. Etem was the only one that took himself out of the play and didn't bother trying to check anyone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure why we're dissecting a GA in a 3-0 game....they've scored one goal in nine freakin' periods...can't win if you don't score, and this team is going to go down as the worst offensive team in franchise history.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Bartkowski, Sbisa, Tryamkin, Pedan, Etem, Vey, Higgins, Burrows, Dorsett, McCann, Virtanen, Biega, Grenier, Weber would not be in any top 9 or top 5 dman on any contending team and 0 of those players mentioned i believe would score over 25 points in a season. (forwards) . or over 20 points for a dman.

And HALF of those players mentioned should not even be in the NHL.

Im not surprised we arent scoring goals.

Not to mention Cracknell and Granlund. Who played on our team as well.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Vey is overplayed and a long shot at this point as a good offensive player but I don't know I agree with someone dismissing his production as a PP and ice time phenomenon. There are worse things we could do is have a guy at his calibre produce on the PP in some way. PP success needs to be a thing too, especially when you are counting on a depth player to fill in for injuries. It's not like you could just give the role to any person and it is auto points. People suck so bad all the time on the PP and get no points, and the team just keeps playing them. Besides, I think ice time is the dumbest argument ever against production. He needs more obv if he is producing at a good rate in certain situations.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Vey is overplayed and a long shot at this point as a good offensive player but I don't know I agree with someone dismissing his production as a PP and ice time phenomenon. There are worse things we could do is have a guy at his calibre produce on the PP in some way. PP success needs to be a thing too, especially when you are counting on a depth player to fill in for injuries. It's not like you could just give the role to any person and it is auto points. People suck so bad all the time on the PP and get no points, and the team just keeps playing them. Besides, I think ice time is the dumbest argument ever against production. He needs more obv if he is producing at a good rate in certain situations.

I think most if not all of his success on pp though is cause of the sedins, if sutter was healthy he'd be playing those minutes or bo would be and they'd produce more in my opinion and they'd produce more at even strength

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Linden Vey is one of your three everyday centres, you're a lottery team, pure and simple.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Bartkowski, Sbisa, Tryamkin, Pedan, Etem, Vey, Higgins, Burrows, Dorsett, McCann, Virtanen, Biega, Grenier, Weber would not be in any top 9 or top 5 dman on any contending team and 0 of those players mentioned i believe would score over 25 points in a season. (forwards) . or over 20 points for a dman.

And HALF of those players mentioned should not even be in the NHL.

Im not surprised we arent scoring goals.

Not to mention Cracknell and Granlund. Who played on our team as well.

Yup. Whole lotta big league junk there, rookies aside.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
In the last 30 days, Vey has the highest PP TOI/GP on our team out of forwards (yes, higher than Sedins). His overall TOI/GP out of forwards is 3rd.

During this time the Canucks have played 13 games and scored 30 goals, 6 of those on PP (PP% 15.4).

Vey has 2 goals and 3 assists in these 13 games, again being #1 minute man for PP and #3 for overall minutes. Both of his goals are on PP, playing in the first unit with Sedins.

So yeah. I'm pretty sure anyone in the roster would've managed that production given those minutes and opportunities. And of course he's pathetic defensively when he's not playing against other teams' 4th lines.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
In the last 30 days, Vey has the highest PP TOI/GP on our team out of forwards (yes, higher than Sedins). His overall TOI/GP out of forwards is 3rd.

During this time the Canucks have played 13 games and scored 30 goals, 6 of those on PP (PP% 15.4).

Vey has 2 goals and 3 assists in these 13 games, again being #1 minute man for PP and #3 for overall minutes. Both of his goals are on PP, playing in the first unit with Sedins.

So yeah. I'm pretty sure anyone in the roster would've managed that production given those minutes and opportunities. And of course he's pathetic defensively when he's not playing against other teams' 4th lines.

That is disgusting favouritism, what is this ****ing Peewee where our coach is playing his ****** son over better players clearly on the bench?

I hate Willie D.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

1 ES assist to show for his last 11 games while getting 1st line/2nd line minutes. 2 ES goals in 61 games this season between AHL and NHL.

Hopefully a few people here who were getting really excited a month ago when he had a few points are realizing now that that was a blip, as a bunch of us were saying at the time.

This is simply not an NHL player. Just appalling the opportunity he's getting here right now from his 'Dad'.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
1 ES assist to show for his last 11 games while getting 1st line/2nd line minutes. 2 ES goals in 61 games this season between AHL and NHL.

Hopefully a few people here who were getting really excited a month ago when he had a few points are realizing now that that was a blip, as a bunch of us were saying at the time.

This is simply not an NHL player. Just appalling the opportunity he's getting here right now from his 'Dad'.

Vey is a living proof that stats don't increase linearly with increase opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad