Liljegren eager to take next step

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
If he really kicks ass in the AHL and our righty defensemen are struggling he might be called up halfway through the year. He’d have to be performing better than Holl and the rest of our defensemen in the AHL though before they seriously consider it. Hopefully he turns some heads in training camp.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Leafs also need to start preparing for Hainseys departure next season.

Having a good transition plan going into next season for the RD (2019-20) is just as important as burning his ELC year imo.

It doesn't matter if the rest of the guys get games, because in reality these guys are bottom pairing guys moving forward: Ozhiganov Holl Carrick.

So you want him to handle top pairing and top PK mins in his second season? What is this, NHL 19?

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I think this guy will be a big factor in whether or not the leafs take the next step.

If he can come up in the next 2-3 years and play like a top 4 that would be huge!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I think this guy will be a big factor in whether or not the leafs take the next step.

If he can come up in the next 2-3 years and play like a top 4 that would be huge!

We failed big time if he comes up 3 years from now lol

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Based on where he is at the end the last season, he's not ready yet.

What I saw was a good AHL defender. Now, when you're only 18 that's fabulous.
But it doesn't mean he's close to ready for prime time.

When he was drafted I said he was 2 years away at the earliest. I see no reason to change that.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
This whole “let him marinate” philosophy is overdone around here. Call him up when management thinks he's ready. It has nothing to do with “dominating the AHL”, something very few 19 year olds ever do.

The reality is you need to play NHL quality competition to grow. If his game plateaus down there, call him up.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I’d like to see him perform well, at both ends of the rink, against top AHL competition before I’d give him the call up.

And while I’d like to see his offensive game boom, as along as he’s become a sound d-man on the other end I’ll be happy.

Reactions: Trapper

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I thought it the usual meaningless article. Just a "filler" in a slow news week. Of course Liljegren is "eager to take the next step". Did you expect to say, "I've peaked, I'm happy to play the rest of the. career in the AHL."

Liljegren seemed to big strides forward as a pro later in the season. While I don't expect him to a Leaf this season, the Leafs are depending on him to a competent NHLer in 2019/20.

Reactions: JustAShadow

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I’d like to see him perform well, at both ends of the rink, against top AHL competition before I’d give him the call up.

And while I’d like to see his offensive game boom, as along as he’s become a sound d-man on the other end I’ll be happy.
He needs to prove he is the best Marlies D on a nightly basis.
Exactly like Dermott did. Dermott is now 21 heading into his real 1st full season.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think we can project him to play in the NHL this season or next (this season is not a guarantee).

Hopfully he is a full time NHLer in the 2019-20 or 2020-2021 season.

Reactions: DanM

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This whole “let him marinate” philosophy is overdone around here. Call him up when Brad’s thinks he's ready. It has nothing to do with “dominating the AHL”, something very few 19 year olds ever do.

The reality is you need to play NHL quality competition to grow. If his game plateaus down there, call him up.
If he can't excel at the AHL level, how in the hell does one argue he's ready for a cup contender NHL team? Zero logic. Dermott dominated, Nylander dominated. And "very few" 19 year olds can make it as an NHL D man, what exactly did we see last year that could possibly lead people to believe Lil is the exception? You can ruin a kid bringing him up to early, our philosophy is develop to succeed. If he looks dynamite in camp, goes down and kicks it, just like Dermott did last year, then woohoo for us. Realistically, I'd look for an impact next year, and that's fantastic!

Reactions: Obliviate

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If it takes someone 4 years to become an NHL regular solid top 4 D, that's not a fail IMO.
Lots of players have been brought up (draft year or draft year + 1) and faded away.
Success is measured by sustainability, not who gets rushed faster.
Who is better?
Player A, 13 years in the NHL, good for 10.
Player B, 10 years in the NHL, good for 10.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
After years of investing most of my hope into talent not in the NHL, it's weird how I just push these recent 1st rounders into the back of my Leaf fan mind when the actual NHL team has the hope not only the prospects. I can't be alone. I'm going to be using my fan energies on the NHL team and just leave the prospects to hopefully ripen off in the distance. This is the way it always should be.

This guy is an NHL level talent. There are just signs that he's not going to be a fast track study. That's perfectly alright with the status of the NHL team. It might be useful at some point this season or next for him to get a brief injury recall audition so he can get a taste of the decision speed (and quality) he'll be expected to perform at.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Best case scenario he kills the AHL, and we call him up for the last 9 games + the playoffs.

No harm in keeping him in the AHL all season though. Still will be one of (or the) the youngest players in the entire league.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think he is ready for the NHL this year unless a lot has changed for him this offseason that I'm unaware of.

He wasn't even among the Marlies best Dmen last year. Once he shows he can dominate at the AHL level will be the time he gets his advancement opportunity.

I think Igor Ozhiganov, Calle Rosén , Justin Holl and maybe even Andreas Borgman have better odds of sticking with the Leafs. IMO

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If he can't excel at the AHL level, how in the hell does one argue he's ready for a cup contender NHL team? Zero logic. Dermott dominated, Nylander dominated. And "very few" 19 year olds can make it as an NHL D man, what exactly did we see last year that could possibly lead people to believe Lil is the exception? You can ruin a kid bringing him up to early, our philosophy is develop to succeed. If he looks dynamite in camp, goes down and kicks it, just like Dermott did last year, then woohoo for us. Realistically, I'd look for an impact next year, and that's fantastic!

I guess I just disagree. Not all players need to marinate or dominate in the AHL before they come to the NHL. If he does well to start the year, I hope he's the first call up. I don't want us to "bake" him longer than he needs to for the sake of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad