Post-Game Talk: Like a skipping record, the Bruins lose again in OT… 2-1 Knights

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So he scored 60 last season playing on a stacked team, what does that have anything to do with this season? My bar is hard work regardless of your name.

I thought we had a culture of that, That's why this kid will never be the captain of the Boston Bruins.
I get it. I agree he'll probably never be Captain, and that may be absolutely fine with him. I don't know.

But let's keep this in perspective. Yes, he scored 60 goals last year on a stacked team. And this year he is 6th in League scoring and on pace to score 50 goals on what no one with any credibility would call a stacked team.

We've all been talking about the fact that our goalies have made what was likely to be a scary season a very successful season so far. And that's true.

BUT without David Pastrnak on the other end of the ice -- much of that excellent work by our goalies would be for naught.

I stand by my position that Pasta is so far down my list of concerns he's not even worth considering.

If it wasn't for our goalies there wouldn't be any overtimes, we would be in the bottom half or worse in the league. And to no-one's surprise I might add.
If it wasn't for Pasta there'd be fewer OT's as well. And a lot more L's too.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Pasta has been one of the more physical players on the Bruins this season. And no, not in terms of "total hits" stats but in terms of actually laying some nasty, edgy hits. That doesn't sound like a "lazy" guy who doesn't give a shit.

If Patrice Bergeron had the innate goal scoring and offensive ability of Pasta we'd all be saying "The Great Who".

My point is that with every player you have good and bad. And that's always been true and always will be. Until, I guess, Jesus decides to ditch the robes and laces them up. Although I personally think that "turn the other cheek" thing might rile some fans.

Meanwhile, if a legit 60 goal scorer isn't good enough for you, well, your bar is really high. Really high.
Too late. He wore #4.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I get it. I agree he'll probably never be Captain, and that may be absolutely fine with him. I don't know.

But let's keep this in perspective. Yes, he scored 60 goals last year on a stacked team. And this year he is 6th in League scoring and on pace to score 50 goals on what no one with any credibility would call a stacked team.

We've all been talking about the fact that our goalies have made what was likely to be a scary season a very successful season so far. And that's true.

BUT without David Pastrnak on the other end of the ice -- much of that excellent work by our goalies would be for naught.

I stand by my position that Pasta is so far down my list of concerns he's not even worth considering.

If it wasn't for Pasta there'd be fewer OT's as well. And a lot more L's too.
We have a difference in opinions on what type of player Pasta is and that's fine. He gets paid a shit ton I hope he can score goals, you are kidding yourself if you think that's all it takes to win games.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
We have a difference in opinions on what type of player Pasta is and that's fine. He gets paid a shit ton I hope he can score goals, you are kidding yourself if you think that's all it takes to win games.
I agree. All good.

For the record though, I do know that scoring goals is not all it takes to win games. Absolutely. I'm not a Leafs fan!:laugh:

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Of course he won't because the owners don't want this. As things stands, the 2-1-0 point system keeps the standings much closer and more teams in the playoff race. Tighter standings generate more interest and more dollars.
Exactly this.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
How many different pairings have McAvoy played with this season? That's more to do with it than what forwards he's on the ice with this season in my view.

Plus Charlie has also been making uncharacteristic plays as well.

I give him a pass due to the fact he works his bag off EVERY shift and leaves nothing on the ice.

We disagree.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Swayman is no Patrick Roy in OT that's for sure. :sarcasm:

Seriously, what is the Bruins record in OT games this season? It must be brutal.
Maybe it would be different if Sway could also score goals in OT, play defense, etc.

The players outside of Sway should take the blame. They cannot even hold onto the puck in OT.

Reactions: Gordoff

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Weird to say (?) but, I'm looking forward to #28's return...

This season, the Bruins record:

with Derek Forbort
14-3-3 ; .700 Win% ; .775 Points%

without Derek Forbort
10-5-6 ; .476 Win% ; .619 Points%

A lot of people love to bitch about Forbort but right here is the proof that the Bruins are a better team when he plays.

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines

with Derek Forbort

without Derek Forbort
Still 5 games over .500 without the Norris trophy candidate in the lineup. Also, 6 OT losses. Does Forbort even see the ice in OT?

A lot of people love to bitch about Forbort but right here is the proof that the Bruins are a better team when he plays.
When he's healthy sure. But how effective is he going to be when he returns from his latest injury? He was pretty useless in last year's playoffs after coming back from an injury.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Still 5 games over .500 without the Norris trophy candidate in the lineup. Also, 6 OT losses. Does Forbort even see the ice in OT?

When he's healthy sure. But how effective is he going to be when he returns from his latest injury? He was pretty useless in last year's playoffs after coming back from an injury.

Oh I'm not expecting much from him the first 10 games or so he's back. It takes time to get the rust off & your timing back

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

with Derek Forbort

without Derek Forbort
Their GA/G and PK% without him has been atrocious as well. But you'll be told it's a coincidence because there isn't a very big "Forbort fan club" around here.

At worst getting him back slots guys where they should be playing and takes some of the defensive zone starts away from guys like Wotherspoon/Gryz/Lohrei

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Yep, no weaknesses in that guy's game.
Only criticism I have of #4 is that he could have waited to play with modern equipment and orthopedic options that didn't automatically include installing a zipper opening to the ligaments.

He was AMAZING. But oh, what could have been. A longer career with modern healthcare and equipment???? Gretzky, Crosby, Howe, and whoever else you want to include would be water carriers to him.

I'm hoping Forbort's return will help to stabilize the defense corps. No one thinks he's a Norris candidate.
I think it will. He gets far too much slack in my opinion.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
As for Pasta- IMO his two way play is vastly improved over last season and he's starting to hit more too. I don't think he's a lazy player now (I don't think that could be said during his younger years) but maybe he's not always sure what to do? If your focus (& your coach's focus) has always been on your offense then your D is inevitably going to suffer. I think he's come a long way.

Also his movements are so fluid a lot of times it looks like he's not even trying. Look at some of his goals, sometimes he looks like he's just flipping the puck at the goaltender.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Ladyfan

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
This fanbase is so hilarious at times. And by hilarious I mean a bit maddening too.

Do I need to bump the prediction thread on where all of you thought we'd finish this year? Almost everyone thought we'd be between horrible and average. A very few notables were bang on and thought we'd be up there in the standings.

So despite this team massively outperforming expectations you all had, people are still disappointed? Thank goodness you guys weren't born in Ottawa or Buffalo, you'd be on constant mental health watch.

Somehow, without a rebuild, this franchise watched a generational core retire (Chara, Tuukka, Bergy, Krejci), and somehow the franchise still leads the East. That's INSANE. Look at the Blackhawks and other rebuilders who have moved on from their cores.

It took me a while to get there, but truly we're spoiled that Sweeney managed to keep winning hockey in Boston past the core. I wish we could have celebrated with a cup last year. But now that we're here, and despite how much talent left the team, I'm super pumped that on any given night I can turn on the game, and we are right there with a chance to win. I thought we'd get 5 years where hockey wasn't fun anymore, and somehow we are still good. I'm grateful.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
This fanbase is so hilarious at times. And by hilarious I mean a bit maddening too.

Do I need to bump the prediction thread on where all of you thought we'd finish this year? Almost everyone thought we'd be between horrible and average. A very few notables were bang on and thought we'd be up there in the standings.

So despite this team massively outperforming expectations you all had, people are still disappointed? Thank goodness you guys weren't born in Ottawa or Buffalo, you'd be on constant mental health watch.

Somehow, without a rebuild, this franchise watched a generational core retire (Chara, Tuukka, Bergy, Krejci), and somehow the franchise still leads the East. That's INSANE. Look at the Blackhawks and other rebuilders who have moved on from their cores.

It took me a while to get there, but truly we're spoiled that Sweeney managed to keep winning hockey in Boston past the core. I wish we could have celebrated with a cup last year. But now that we're here, and despite how much talent left the team, I'm super pumped that on any given night I can turn on the game, and we are right there with a chance to win. I thought we'd get 5 years where hockey wasn't fun anymore, and somehow we are still good. I'm grateful.
This is also the fan base that basically said after a historic regular season that regular season doesn't mean shit and only a cup win matters....so why some of these same people still get worked up over regular season games is beyond me...

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
This is also the fan base that basically said after a historic regular season that regular season doesn't mean shit and only a cup win matters....so why some of these same people still get worked up over regular season games is beyond me...
A historic regular season does not mean shit when you see what happened last season. You still have to worry about winning regular season games so you can at least make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad