Post-Game Talk: Like a skipping record, the Bruins lose again in OT… 2-1 Knights

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I asked for a point before the game, they got it, am content enough with that. Another game where the Bruins played just ok and ground out some sort of result. Swayman and Thompson were both very good. Vegas were gassed in the last 10 mins of regulation and it's a shame Boston couldn't finish it then, but not to be.

Throwing away points in extra time is becoming a waste, but the roster is not built for 3-on-3 or shootouts, so probably not much that can be done about it other than to get more games done in the regular 60. With that said, the effort of Pasta and Marchand on the last play was pathetic, and not worthy of two senior players and leaders of the team. Not a big deal perhaps, but a terrible example for the other guys. Hope Monty dealt with it.

This was a better effort defensively than the last few. Had to kill off too many penalties, which until the last one were handled well, and Vegas overall didn't get too many good looks. Swayman had the answers when they did. That's some sort of progress at least for our injury-hit defensive group. The offense, well it's got its challenges, especially 5v5, but there are no easy solutions. They over-performed in the first couple of months, what we're seeing of late is probably closer to what you can reasonably expect from this roster. The guy you can probably most reasonably ask more from of late is Zacha. Just 1 goal and 6 assists (and only 2 of those at even strength) since the start of December just isn't going to cut it for a top liner. He has to offer more than that.

It's been a fairly tough time on the road but if the Bs can somehow land 2 whole points to finish it off in St Louis it will actually still have been a reasonable trip. Who knows, maybe they're saving the best 'til last?!

Agree about Zacha. They need more from him offensively. His overall game is still good but he needs more production. If Geekie was a better finisher that would certainly help. He had several excellent chances last that he couldn't put home. But before this road trip, the B's were scoring a ton. Since the Christmas break, they put up 30 goals in 6 games.

Agree on Pasta & Marchand also. Especially Pasta. Looks he'd rather not work overtime. But even in regulation his individualism has been hurting the team often. His Plus/Minus has been steadily going down. As has Marchand, who is now a minus player (-1). He hasn't been a minus since his 20 game tryout in 2009.

Thought the defensemen played their best game in awhile. Lindholm was extremely physical. Had 3 takeaways and 3 hits. As a unit they all managed the puck much better. Lohrei had 6 blocks, Wotherspoon had 3 blocks and 2 (official) hits.

Swayman was excellent. The PK very good, the PP bad ( see Marchand, Pasta). 2nd unit was better than first, which has been the norm recently.

Like you said, if they can get 2 points in St. Louis it will end up being a good trip. But that's a really big if the way the Blues are playing.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I'm with you. Although I have him listed at #28 -- right after a steam locomotive blasting through Warrior Ice arena while the Bruins are practicing.

Of course not many steam locomotives in play these days, and I don't believe there are any train tracks actually leading to the practice rink, so admittedly my concern over #27 on my list is fairly low all things considered.

Unreal the shit this guy takes. People want him to be Terry O'Reilly.
No ,people want see a guy getting paid 11m to give a shit and play defense when it matters,

It not all about him as it looks like when you watch him play, Great he scores goals but there is more to being a great player. Plenty of guys are scoring goals around the league, but hardly ever see them continually make the lazy turnovers and show a lack of urgency in crunch time.

Maybe he's just not to bright and they have to live with it. Fans better be concerned when the highest paid player and one of the "leaders" on the team is one of the laziest players on the team.

Its getting old,

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Bettman refuses to even consider this

Of all the rules instituted by the PWHL when it launched last week, its innovative approach to the standings is the one most NHL fans should view with envy.

The new league awards three points for a regulation time victory and two points for a win secured in overtime or a shootout. Just like with the NHL system, the PWHL awards a single point for an overtime or shootout loss, while a regulation time defeat earns nothing.
Great, except no shootouts. 10 min overtime and then call it a draw.

Bettman won't go for it, because it cause less tight races for the wildcard spots, eliminating some teams earlier from the playoffs, which could lower attendance at the end of the season for a few clubs. It's never about the hockey, it's always about the money.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Great, except no shootouts. 10 min overtime and then call it a draw.

Bettman won't go for it, because it cause less tight races for the wildcard spots, eliminating some teams earlier from the playoffs, which could lower attendance at the end of the season for a few clubs. It's never about the hockey, it's always about the money.
with you there, I find, more often than not, even the 3 on 3 is boring but I`ll take 10 minutes of that before a shootout which I have always despised as a way to decide a team sport

So, Lauko and Beecher and Shattenkirk to start last night?
haha, not gonna lie, be kinda fun to watch Lauko and Beecher`s speed in OT but could also be a recipe for disaster :)

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
That is funny, , Bonehead play by Pasta but replay shows Marchand loafing trying to save his gas for offense so he should bare some blame to.But that was funny for sure :laugh:
hah yeah. People throwing all this shade at Pasta but Marchy had been out there for a while just coasting around.

Pasta made a real soft embarrassing play. Marchand prolly should have picked up Pietro on that rush tho

Reactions: Spjutmuren

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Pastrnak last night takes a low % shot from the side of the net with Boqvist wide open in the slot. You score a lot of goals but some shots are ill advised and better options are available.

This team seems to score in bunches and then everyone dries up. Just do not feel confident when they get behind that they are going to win the game.

3 on 3 is a complete going show. Tied after 3 the team may just as well forfeit the extra point.

DS you need to do something to wake up this team. In addition, tell Monty to quit constantly changing the lines.

Very frustrating to watch.

Brick pointed that out a couple times last night.

You could kind of sense his frustration but he can only say so much.

Reactions: hrdpuk

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
All 3 players were pathetic on the OT goal. Marchy and Pasta just hanging around center ice, wanting for a break-out pass, and Lindholm could not possibly have played the 2-on-1 any worse. The dman MUST prevent the pass from reaching the weak-side player. Leave the puck to the goalie and Swayman had the angle covered. Pasta and Marchy both are prone to lazy plays, despite their great skill.

The team needs more speed to compete successfully in OT. They don't have it.

No help is coming this year, unless Sweeney does something stupid like trade yet another 1st-round pick. They have a weak prospect pool, little talent in Providence, and little tradeable assets.

Their best hope is that E Lindholm and Hanifin make it to July 1. But they'd likely have to trade Coyle and let DeBrusk and Griz walk to afford them. Don't dislike those 3 players, like them, in fact, but the dollars won't work otherwise.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I do think Marchand is missing Bergeron's defense. Although his offensive production is still very good, he's currently a -1 on the season. And yes I'm aware +/- has its warts as a stat, but historically Marchand has been on the high side just about every year. I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that losing a six time Selke winner as your center would affect that stat.

Absolutely right.

Pretty sure it has also affected McAvoy's game. He's currently even in plus/minus. And though he wasn't glued to Bergeron like Marchand, he played most often when that line was on the ice.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
No ,people want see a guy getting paid 11m to give a shit and play defense when it matters,

It not all about him as it looks like when you watch him play, Great he scores goals but there is more to being a great player. Plenty of guys are scoring goals around the league, but hardly ever see them continually make the lazy turnovers and show a lack of urgency in crunch time.

Maybe he's just not to bright and they have to live with it. Fans better be concerned when the highest paid player and one of the "leaders" on the team is one of the laziest players on the team.

Its getting old,
Pasta has been one of the more physical players on the Bruins this season. And no, not in terms of "total hits" stats but in terms of actually laying some nasty, edgy hits. That doesn't sound like a "lazy" guy who doesn't give a shit.

If Patrice Bergeron had the innate goal scoring and offensive ability of Pasta we'd all be saying "The Great Who".

My point is that with every player you have good and bad. And that's always been true and always will be. Until, I guess, Jesus decides to ditch the robes and laces them up. Although I personally think that "turn the other cheek" thing might rile some fans.

Meanwhile, if a legit 60 goal scorer isn't good enough for you, well, your bar is really high. Really high.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Absolutely right.

Pretty sure it has also affected McAvoy's game. He's currently even in plus/minus. And though he wasn't glued to Bergeron like Marchand, he played most often when that line was on the ice.
How many different pairings have McAvoy played with this season? That's more to do with it than what forwards he's on the ice with this season in my view.

Plus Charlie has also been making uncharacteristic plays as well.

I give him a pass due to the fact he works his bag off EVERY shift and leaves nothing on the ice.

Reactions: Gordoff

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
true but that wasn`t the way I wanted it to be :) I am not a big fan of using injuries but you have essentially two of your top PK guys and major minute muncher in Carlo out on a roadie vs some excellent teams, depth will always be exposed, we are seeing it now

This team has warts when 100% healthy, even lesser injuries expose lack of depth
I dont know.
Its been a pretty good trip. Against 3 pretty good teams.
Theyve played col ari and vegas.
All 3 were tied after regulation. probably shouldve won in regulation against arizona.
overtime isnt real hockey, so I dont even take that or a shootout into any consideration.
Im expecting a regulation win against stl to end the trip.
I will say if we lose this last game, it will be disappointing.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Pasta has been one of the more physical players on the Bruins this season. And no, not in terms of "total hits" stats but in terms of actually laying some nasty, edgy hits. That doesn't sound like a "lazy" guy who doesn't give a shit.

If Patrice Bergeron had the innate goal scoring and offensive ability of Pasta we'd all be saying "The Great Who".

My point is that with every player you have good and bad. And that's always been true and always will be. Until, I guess, Jesus decides to ditch the robes and laces them up. Although I personally think that "turn the other cheek" thing might rile some fans.

Meanwhile, if a legit 60 goal scorer isn't good enough for you, well, your bar is really high. Really high.
So he scored 60 last season playing on a stacked team, what does that have anything to do with this season? My bar is hard work regardless of your name.

I thought we had a culture of that, That's why this kid will never be the captain of the Boston Bruins.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I dont know.
Its been a pretty good trip. Against 3 pretty good teams.
Theyve played col ari and vegas.
All 3 were tied after regulation. probably shouldve won in regulation against arizona.
overtime isnt real hockey, so I dont even take that or a shootout into any consideration.
Im expecting a regulation win against stl to end the trip.
I will say if we lose this last game, it will be disappointing.
Agree to a point about OT I don’t like it but unfortunately it is a big part off the game ,its what 9 points the Bruins could have had ,and if it carried on all season potentially could be 20 potential points potentially,could definitely be the difference between making playoffs or not.

If it wasn't for our goalies there wouldn't be any overtimes, we would be in the bottom half or worse in the league. And to no-one's surprise I might add.
Yeah I agree

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad