Post-Game Talk: Like a skipping record, the Bruins lose again in OT… 2-1 Knights

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Everybody turning on Pasta and his lazy defense is concerning.

I do think it’s not a great look for your C and A to have multiple highlights this year with them getting scored on because of laziness.

Marchand I can kind of understand because he’s getting up there in age. Though he didn’t start doing this stuff this year. He’s just getting exposed for it more often.

Those are supposed to be your leaders and setting the example.

I would never see Chara or Bergeron take shifts off like that.
Could the bolded be that Begeron covered up that shit more than we realized?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

LAS VEGAS — Too much time in the sin bin did the Bruins in in Sin City Thursday night.

Boston lost its third straight game on this Western swing, a 2-1 overtime decision to the Golden Knights at T-Mobile Arena.

Though the penalty killers and Jeremy Swayman did yeoman’s work, being shorthanded for nearly 10 minutes limits a club’s offensive chances.

Penalties have been a problem all season for the Bruins, who dropped to 24-8-9.

“We’ve got like fourth most minors in the [league],” said coach Jim Montgomery. “It’s players unwilling to check with their legs to get above pucks and then using their sticks and arms to go through bodies. We reach a lot, and we don’t get above, so we’re trailing from behind. It leads to hooking and tripping penalties.”

The loss also spoiled a Herculean effort by Jeremy Swayman, who made 23 saves and kept the Bruins in the game with stellar play.

His spectacular right pad save on Ivan Barbashev shortly after Grzelcyk’s equalizer prevented Las Vegas from winning in regulation.

Already on his belly from making an initial stop, Swayman lifted his pad just enough to deflect Barbashev’s tester away. It was the save of the night and Swayman’s best of the season.

“I think it was just kind of a rogue tip in front. Hit a skate and I was a little far out, so I have to make saves like that in a timely manner,” said Swayman. “So, happy it happened, but we’ve got to finish these kinds of games. It’s just not acceptable at this point and I’m excited to get to work and do what we need to do to finish games because we will start finishing the games and it’s going to feel good.”

At the other end Logan Thompson was equally impressive, especially during the Bruins surge in the third when they landed 15 shots.

“It’s obviously a tough one to lose. I thought guys were competing, but obviously a little too undisciplined, and that’s kind of become a theme here,” said Grzelcyk. “We shot ourselves in the foot there and forced Sway to make too many big saves. He was great tonight but got to find a way to capitalize on the momentum there at the end.”

Reactions: Gordoff and sooshii

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
So your move is to sit our top offensive players in OT. Well I respectfully disagree with your assessment.
I don't think you sit your top players, but there are some who probably shouldn't be on the ice together in 3v3 , namely combos of Pasta , Marchand, Gryz.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Could the bolded be that Begeron covered up that shit more than we realized?

Bergeron allowed Marchand to shift to counterattack mentality which is likely an issue now. Marchand would not have the shorthanded scoring and breakaway goals he does otherwise. A fine balance... yet if Marchand switches to defense first the Bruins are left with only Pastrnak creating offense. Tough balance on this roster.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
3v3 is not real hockey and nearly worse than a shootout. The attempt was there at least by the NHL.
I get it, it was supposed to be exciting end to end type action. But most of the time it all boils down to who has puck possession. Teams will circle/cycle for 30-40 second stretches just to maintain possession, while a smart strategy its the antithesis of what the NHL wanted.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Pasta as a concern of this team is number 27 on my list.

I also enjoy the pendulum swing of Monty changing up the lines to much, to not enough and then back again.
I'm with you. Although I have him listed at #28 -- right after a steam locomotive blasting through Warrior Ice arena while the Bruins are practicing.

Of course not many steam locomotives in play these days, and I don't believe there are any train tracks actually leading to the practice rink, so admittedly my concern over #27 on my list is fairly low all things considered.

Unreal the shit this guy takes. People want him to be Terry O'Reilly.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd rather suck in 3 on 3 than be 3 on 3 merchants like Toronto. 3 on 3 doesn't matter.

And Florida passing us in the standings, when it happens, and it will, is also OK. I'd rather play Toronto than whichever of Tampa or NJ has gotten hot enough to win the wild card slots in the first round anyway.

Bruins are a good team, but not a very good team. They have exceeded expectations, but let's call a spade a spade. This season is about seeing how guys do in expanded roles, break some kids into the lineup so they can be relied upon next year, and identify how the team should use its $$$ going forward to plug holes.

The good:
- Pasta has continued to produce at a very high rate after losing his center. When was the last time the Bruins had a guy that was going to have back to back Hart finishes?
- The goalies have shown they can still carry the team while getting a harder work load
- Zacha and Coyle have both shown they can produce enough offensively in their larger roles
- The PP changes post-Bergeron have worked
- The PK is still good post-Bergeron
- Kids like Poitras, Lorhei and Beecher are getting broken into the lineup
- A bunch of the cheap vets have played well
- Frederic has shown that last season wasn't a one off
- I mean they are first in the conference in January in a re-tool year

The bad:
- The Bruins the were 7th in shot attempts allowed last year. 21st this year. They have the puck a lot less and the goalies are having to work hard.
- That drop in D is at the feet of the centers and the LD. Centers we knew were not going to drive possession like Bergeron, obviously. LD was supposed to be a strength.
- Lysell, Merkulov and Bussi have not started to get broken in
- The team speed is poor
- The um 4th line hasn't had the players it was supposed to have and the team lacks toughness. You can at least have made the argument in the past that they could out skill their lack of toughness, but they can't anymore.
- DeBrusk had a brutal start

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Another Pasta pointing job n OT. I get it he scores a ton of goals and the Bruins best player. I can also say he is average defensively and tends to float on ocassion. Hey that’s fine during the regular season no one can play max effort all the time or you’ll burn out. What concerns me though is this is how he plays all the time. There is no “other level” for playoffs this is just who he is. Hes still a great player but you going to have to live with the good and the bad. I just don’t think that will ever shake out of him.

I know they are getting the loser points, but losing still hits players confidence regardless if it’s during OT or regulation. They are playing much more to prediction of the season though. Still a playoff team with question marks around forwards mostly.

I am fine with all that I expected it. What I worry is Sweeney thinking he has fools gold and sells more of the future to get a middling player hoping to make a difference. So basically abandoning his transition year plan. Just go into the playoffs with what you have, or even trade some players if you don’t believe they fit into the future plan and can get a promising younger player that does. I just hope he doesn’t got into the JAG route of getting players that will not hurt them defensively and tries to squeeze more out of the top players to pick up the slack

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Bettman refuses to even consider this

Of all the rules instituted by the PWHL when it launched last week, its innovative approach to the standings is the one most NHL fans should view with envy.

The new league awards three points for a regulation time victory and two points for a win secured in overtime or a shootout. Just like with the NHL system, the PWHL awards a single point for an overtime or shootout loss, while a regulation time defeat earns nothing.

Of course he won't because the owners don't want this. As things stands, the 2-1-0 point system keeps the standings much closer and more teams in the playoff race. Tighter standings generate more interest and more dollars.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
All our GDT warriors last night are dragging serious ass this morning I assume. Just finished the Friday bike bus to school routine and I’m feeling about as dull as the second period last night
Haha, I only lasted 2 periods and I’m dragging it hard. And only 9 hours to go. I’m officially in the “too old for the late starts” crowd now. /sob

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
just watched the highlights.
that overtime goal was just pathetic.
Pasta what a weak effort, beat to the outside?? Stone wasnt even coming up with much speed. and lindholm bro. learn how to defend a 2 on 1. either play the shot or pass. you did neither.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I notice Marchand line changes has been slow all year and he seems to be gliding more on the back check. Reminds me of 2019 game 7 change. But maybe he's saving his energy for the playoffs. :confused:
Did the fourth line even play in the third ,35 yrs old has had major hip surgery,plays on power play ,kills penalties ,not sure he will have much left come playoffs.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I do think Marchand is missing Bergeron's defense. Although his offensive production is still very good, he's currently a -1 on the season. And yes I'm aware +/- has its warts as a stat, but historically Marchand has been on the high side just about every year. I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that losing a six time Selke winner as your center would affect that stat.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
So far point wise you are right
true but that wasn`t the way I wanted it to be :) I am not a big fan of using injuries but you have essentially two of your top PK guys and major minute muncher in Carlo out on a roadie vs some excellent teams, depth will always be exposed, we are seeing it now

This team has warts when 100% healthy, even lesser injuries expose lack of depth

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad