Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Tanner Jeannot | 2 years, $2.665M AAV

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I want that shit to be a tag team match player player. Thunder and Stammer vs Squid and Byr
4asqkczvn8a51.jpg

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Hate to tell you but guys that hit get paid. Deslauriers makes 1.75M for the next 3 years and he's already 32 and doesn't have much offense. Hathaway just signed for 2.375M at 31 and his offense isn't better than Jeannot. Kolesar is at 1.4M, he's got shit offense. Acciari is making 2M at 31 and he's undersized and doesn't fight. Jeannot is 26, has a better offensive season than any of them have, can fight. This isn't the QMJHL we still need someone out there to keep teams in check and Jeannot does that and can score.

He provides more offense? No, not last year he didn't, he was the antithesis of offense and deserved a league minimum contract for the effort. You have the entire NHL to cherry pick bad contracts from and couldn't manage to find a single guy getting paid more for a similar role.

Here is the bottom line, he wasn't an effective player for us. He's getting paid because we are hoping his rookie year wasn't an outlier and he returns to that, injury or not. You don't get paid 2.6M for hits, he has to be more like the player he was for Nashville.

Having said all of that, I can get onboard with the signing as a fair value contract because I don't think you can ignore that he could be. With this signing comparisons to the Hagel trade and how we've effectively bought cheap production need to stop though. 2.6M AAV for a guy we are hoping is an NHL caliber player next year is not cheap.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He provides more offense? No, not last year he didn't, he was the antithesis of offense and deserved a league minimum contract for the effort. You have the entire NHL to cherry pick bad contracts from and couldn't manage to find a single guy getting paid more for a similar role.

Here is the bottom line, he wasn't an effective player for us. He's getting paid because we are hoping his rookie year wasn't an outlier and he returns to that, injury or not. You don't get paid 2.6M for hits, he has to be more like the player he was for Nashville.

Having said all of that, I can get onboard with the signing as a fair value contract because I don't think you can ignore that he could be. With this signing comparisons to the Hagel trade and how we've effectively bought cheap production need to stop though. 2.6M AAV for a guy we are hoping is an NHL caliber player next year is not cheap.

Sure his offense wasn't as good last year but over the past 2 seasons he scores better than those players. Milan Lucic made 6M last year and put up similar points while not hitting ot fighting as much. If Jeannot gets close to 21/22 levels the next 2 seasons then he's going to get a ridiculous offer thrown at him like Lucic got years ago.

I lean towards last year wasn't as good a year for him and that he can return to his previous levels or close to it. The talk of him being a league minimum type player is ridiculous, you aren't getting someone like him for that price.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sure his offense wasn't as good last year but over the past 2 seasons he scores better than those players. Milan Lucic made 6M last year and put up similar points while not hitting ot fighting as much. If Jeannot gets close to 21/22 levels the next 2 seasons then he's going to get a ridiculous offer thrown at him like Lucic got years ago.

I lean towards last year wasn't as good a year for him and that he can return to his previous levels or close to it. The talk of him being a league minimum type player is ridiculous, you aren't getting someone like him for that price.

He was being "healthy" scratched, so obviously the coach and GM think they can fix whatever is wrong with him this off season because that's a clear signal he didn't fit. It is probably as simple as forcing him back to the front of the net and getting healthy.

Without his rookie year as a backdrop, is he even in the NHL next year though? I think when most people say he's a league minimum player they are speaking more to how he played and not his potential.

I've warmed up to the term he signed for. If he fits well you can negotiate a contract extension at the end of next season or trade him off to get some assets back. I think that more than makes up for the extra year we have to hold onto him if last season was indicative of the play we can expect.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hate to tell you but guys that hit get paid. Deslauriers makes 1.75M for the next 3 years and he's already 32 and doesn't have much offense. Hathaway just signed for 2.375M at 31 and his offense isn't better than Jeannot. Kolesar is at 1.4M, he's got shit offense. Acciari is making 2M at 31 and he's undersized and doesn't fight. Jeannot is 26, has a better offensive season than any of them have, can fight. This isn't the QMJHL we still need someone out there to keep teams in check and Jeannot does that and can score.

With 6 goals in his last 93 games he scores alright, scores at a slightly lower pace than Maroon.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

You 100% get paid 2.6 for hits.

Yes, the trade remains horrible. But this deal is fine. We have him Namestnikov money, which is about as effective as he was. And now he has 2 years to prove he's worth more.

He was being "healthy" scratched, so obviously the coach and GM think they can fix whatever is wrong with him this off season because that's a clear signal he didn't fit. It is probably as simple as forcing him back to the front of the net and getting healthy.

Without his rookie year as a backdrop, is he even in the NHL next year though? I think when most people say he's a league minimum player they are speaking more to how he played and not his potential.

I've warmed up to the term he signed for. If he fits well you can negotiate a contract extension at the end of next season or trade him off to get some assets back. I think that more than makes up for the extra year we have to hold onto him if last season was indicative of the play we can expect.
Elliott Friedman reported that it wasnt a healthy scratch. He had an ankle injury that the team was shocked he wanted to play through.

Still plenty of hope here. He doesnt need to be all that good to justify 2.6.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This place needs to take a deep breath. Offensively, Jeannot probably isn't going to do any worse than Callahan did. And with any luck, Jeannot will hopefully be even half as good defensively. At $2.6 million it's fine. We're a better team with him. It seems rather clear that our departing vets were not in any mood to do us favors contract-wise. And the problem with that more lies with the cap not budging in years. We weren't keeping Palat and Killorn

We have no idea what is going to happen and experience should tell us that's often a good thing

Reactions: Renopucker

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Correct. You get paid more. Top 20 hits leaders for forwards the last 5 years average $3.5M/yr.

If you remove the outlier in Ovechkin, it's $3.1M.

Ha, ok.

Here are the caphits from the forwards who were in the top 20 hits last year.

Deslauriers 1.75
McBain .875
Martin 1.5
Jeannot .8
Kolesar 1.4
Hathaway 1.5
Lauzon 2
Acciari 2
Tkachuk 9.5
Pezzetta .815
Blais 1
M Foligno 4
Joshua .825
Ritchie 1.5
Fehervary .79
Clifton .725
O'Brien .725

I'll let the board decide for themselves if they honestly believe players are being paid for hits, but I won't waste my time arguing points that should be self evident.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Ha, ok.

Here are the caphits from the forwards who were in the top 20 hits last year.

Deslauriers 1.75
McBain .875
Martin 1.5
Jeannot .8
Kolesar 1.4
Hathaway 1.5
Lauzon 2
Acciari 2
Tkachuk 9.5
Pezzetta .815
Blais 1
M Foligno 4
Joshua .825
Ritchie 1.5
Fehervary .79
Clifton .725
O'Brien .725

I'll let the board decide for themselves if they honestly believe players are being paid for hits, but I won't waste my time arguing points that should be self evident.
The point is Hits + Points. Pretty much No one aside from the obvious there has ever scored 20 goals. Also everyone there except 1 is a fair bit older. Jeannots package of hits, age, and the fact he's 1 season removed from 20 goals gives him a bigger contract.

Its honestly like people just want to shit on everything for the sake of shitting on everything. Legit didn't hear a single good thing from tons of people this whole off season, hell even the last 2 off seasons.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Precisely.....

He'll have to play like how he did in Nashville for this to be a good contract.
What's more likely? He scores 6 goals all next year, or he scores 15 in a full season? Again, it seems people have a tough time separating what we paid to acquire him and what his contract says he should produce.

Yeah we overpaid for him, but we paid a first round pick for Goodrow. We also paid a first and Foote, who was a good prospect back then, for Coleman. Jeannot is basically a combination of both. We paid essentially 3 first round picks there, won us 2 cups, both left right after. JBB and the scouts, probably see Jeannot as the middle ground for both those players. If Jeannot turns it around next season and pots 15-20 goals, plus being top 10 in hits, I say he's over played his contract. Price we paid to acquire him is still a little high, but makes it way more palatable.

I'll eat crow if he doesn't at least get 15 goals next year, but I expect 75% of this board to do the same if he does.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
What's more likely? He scores 6 goals all next year, or he scores 15 in a full season? Again, it seems people have a tough time separating what we paid to acquire him and what his contract says he should produce.

Yeah we overpaid for him, but we paid a first round pick for Goodrow. We also paid a first and Foote, who was a good prospect back then, for Coleman. Jeannot is basically a combination of both. We paid essentially 3 first round picks there, won us 2 cups, both left right after. JBB and the scouts, probably see Jeannot as the middle ground for both those players. If Jeannot turns it around next season and pots 15-20 goals, plus being top 10 in hits, I say he's over played his contract. Price we paid to acquire him is still a little high, but makes it way more palatable.

I'll eat crow if he doesn't at least get 15 goals next year, but I expect 75% of this board to do the same if he does.

I am stating that he has to play closer to how he played in Nashville to justify his contract. I am not saying he won't, I hope that last year wasn't the litmus test and he was indeed playing hurt all year long. We'll see

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well hearing about how he had some offense to his game when we acquired him sounded good to go along with the heavy game he has. I can't complain about the contract. It's finding out if he can live up to the deal we gave up for him. If he is that rare combo we hoped for the deal might be worth it. We didn't have guys with his combo on the team when we won it. Just a mix of guys who can do it. You can find role players it's harder to find that blend of skill and nasty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad