Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Tanner Jeannot | 2 years, $2.665M AAV

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
At least in 2 years, the cap should be significantly higher, so if he does play well and not make the trade one of the worst in many years, at least the cap space should be there. It's been a terrible deal thus far in all facets though, so why stop now with the contract.
I'm legit stunned he was able to get over 2M AAV, it's honestly insane after last season's performance.

Reactions: aylib and JTBF81

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I'm legit stunned he was able to get over 2M AAV, it's honestly insane after last season's performance.
JBB caved on the contract. Perhaps if Jeannot had shown anything last season, either in Nashvilel or Tampa, this number might've made sense. As it stands, it's another contract 500-750k overpaid, at least.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yea I think jbb could have done better. He may have been drinking his own Kool aid thinking this is going to work out fine. If it does great but on paper it's still much for what's happened which is usually how its done not how you think it will go. But ill be patient and hope for the best. It could still end up being good value for 2 years if he produces and is the player we wanted when got him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's wait and see. Kind of like how we were down on Hagel last year let's see how this one works out long term even tho I think we can all agree the contract isn't ideal.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
ok i hope he came to us injured and thats why he was really slow, i hope offseason will help him to understand our system and his role and he wont look so lost at ice, i hope he will be muuuch better this season than he was

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I really can't understand this contract.

Way higher AAV than projected. Short term. After a sh!t season.

If he keeps sucking, it's gonna be a big overpay. If he blows up, he'll take us to the cleaner's in 2 year time.
Literally no way for us to win on it.

It's more than a fair deal. There's a lot more involved than just putting up points. You can't just ignore what he did in 21/22 and only look at 22/23. If you combine the 2 years he averaged 15 goals and 27 points, that's not that bad of an output. Factor in he's a top 5 hitter in the league and also fighter he adds an element we need.

He hits better than Maroon, fights better, even his shitty scoring last year was better, he draws more penalties and takes less than Maroon. He's going to replace Maroon physically and Perry offensively by himself. Maroon was a plug last year, Jeannot can play and he should be healthy so a big season is in store.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
ok i hope he came to us injured and thats why he was really slow, i hope offseason will help him to understand our system and his role and he wont look so lost at ice, i hope he will be muuuch better this season than he was

There were reports about him being very beat up but he tried to play anyways. Hopefully he's ready to go.

Reactions: Peacefool

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
It's more than a fair deal. There's a lot more involved than just putting up points. You can't just ignore what he did in 21/22 and only look at 22/23. If you combine the 2 years he averaged 15 goals and 27 points, that's not that bad of an output. Factor in he's a top 5 hitter in the league and also fighter he adds an element we need.

He hits better than Maroon, fights better, even his shitty scoring last year was better, he draws more penalties and takes less than Maroon. He's going to replace Maroon physically and Perry offensively by himself. Maroon was a plug last year, Jeannot can play and he should be healthy so a big season is in store.
Inshallah

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
The key is that it’s 2 years, because it means he’ll still be an RFA when the deal expires. It’s a short-term bridge deal. That’s why JBB had to give up a higher AAV. Really didn’t have any other choice IMO. You don’t want to give Jeannot a long-term deal because no one knows if he’s the 2021 or the 2022 version. Longer term = lower AAV. So in this situation when a team doesn’t want to commit long term, the next best thing for the organization is to have control in case the player proves to be worth another contract. JBB and Jeannot just bought two years to see what kind of player he is.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The key is that it’s 2 years, because it means he’ll still be an RFA when the deal expires. It’s a short-term bridge deal. That’s why JBB had to give up a higher AAV. Really didn’t have any other choice IMO. You don’t want to give Jeannot a long-term deal because no one knows if he’s the 2021 or the 2022 version. Longer term = lower AAV. So in this situation when a team doesn’t want to commit long term, the next best thing for the organization is to have control in case the player proves to be worth another contract. JBB and Jeannot just bought two years to see what kind of player he is.
He's a UFA when it ends according to capfriendly

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If this is what he got, imagine what arbitration was going to give him. His QO was $892k, the team probably thought arbitration was going to give him more than this. But hey...they don't know shit and HFBoard posters know more.

Is it a good deal? f*** no, but the alternative could have been way f***ing worse.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Again, all of you should be ashamed when Hose is the voice of reason.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Sure, would've been nice with 300-400k less, but really, hardly something to be upset about. Thinking he would get 1-1.5 million was just dream figure made up by fans.

I've good hopes he will bounce back, people were quick to roast Bagel a year ago too..
Except Hagel came in having a good season already that year, and even though he didn't score much, he was generating chances and looked like the ability was there for the price that was paid(at least until he broke his foot in the 2nd round). Maybe it will be the same for Jeannot, bit he showed very, very little in either Nashville or Tampa last year to justify the price paid so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad