Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Tanner Jeannot | 2 years, $2.665M AAV

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I doubt it those agents aren’t extending early until they know the salary cap number for that season

If this were actually the case no one would sign long term contracts, but the NHLPA and NHL provide guidance both publicly and privately. Predictions aren't going to be wildly different than reality.

At best for him, the Lightning would have a little bit of extra money to play with in negotiations, but in exchange he'd be jeopardizing his career to injury. Since we have him under control for a minimum of two more seasons, I think his agent would be doing his job to secure his future rather than waiting possibly two more years to get it. If I am JBB, I would be leveraging that in exchange for a friendlier deal. JBB has shown that he likes to do this, so I assume it's happening.

I think GM's have a lot more to lose here, because you're basically providing the player assurance even though they haven't fulfilled their contract. Career-ruining injuries happen, but he's still guaranteed to get paid.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Revisionist history? This is real time. We're clutching to our pearls because we traded an entire draft for a guy who skated slower than Maroon and it's come out that his ankle was FUBAR. No one knows what we have right now. Again, if JFBB and our front office made a bad trade it would be the first time.

If you want revisionist history I'll tell you about being there in the building the night of July 7th 2021 going back to back and all of us agreed in that moment we had an amazing GM

Yeah he didn't have a high ankle sprain when he got here genius. Revisionist history is you thinking he skated slow the entire time because he got an ankle injury in the final few games.

TMYK.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
If like many predict Hagel does pot 40 there’s a chance that even moving Cirelli will not be enough.
Many people are predicting Hagel scores 40 this year? That's the first time I've heard it. He busted ass all last year, played on our top line and got his 30th in the last game of the year. If he scores 40 at any point in his career I will rejoice, but I don't see it coming.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah he didn't have a high ankle sprain when he got here genius. Revisionist history is you thinking he skated slow the entire time because he got an ankle injury in the final few games.

TMYK.

The Lightning are notorious for new members starting slowly. Injured or not we don't know what we have. End of story.

Sounds like you DO want to play revisionist history. I mean based on your condescending tone.

Remember summer 2015 and 2016? I do. That was the time I spent about 40 pages defending a coach who eventually took us to 3 finals and won it twice. If only we had listened to your advice and fired him for missing the playoffs by a point or after Pittsburgh

Also, bravo for YOU telling ME Killorn was like a guy such as Maxime Talbot and I think the other was Dave Bolland. Something something I don't know hockey. If only your hero knew the expectations you set for him. I personally LOL'd harder than I ever did in my life when you picked 2 guys who scored Cup winning goals as comparisons to justify trading Killorn

6irelli will age like fine wine dawg. 6 points tied for the team lead after us listening to you all last season

Too bad we won that Cup with Savard eh?

If I *REALLY* wanted to lay it on. I'd quote you talking to Squid about high horses and not being that guy

TMYK

Also in before "rent free" "that's creepy bro" or "I never said that" in 3, 2, 1. Nah dawg. I've just spent 9 years here and remember you tripling down on your superiority complex

I'll say it louder. You're not that guy.

Edit: Sky ended up being right about J.T Miller by the time he turned it around in Vancouver. Might as well give him some flowers

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The Lightning are notorious for new members starting slowly. Injured or not we don't know what we have. End of story.

This is a good explanation if he didn't play 2/3 of the season the exact same way in Nashville. For Jeannot to be productive next year he'll have to make play style adjustments, not just learn our system and his teammates. That's where my skepticism comes from.

Reactions: Byrddog

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I like how JBB keeps trading at the deadline when all the smart people here know new players don't work out right away!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Sounds like you DO want to play revisionist history. I mean based on your condescending tone.

Remember summer 2015 and 2016? I do. That was the time I spent about 40 pages defending a coach who eventually took us to 3 finals and won it twice. If only we had listened to your advice and fired him for missing the playoffs by a point or after Pittsburgh

Also, bravo for YOU telling ME Killorn was like a guy such as Maxime Talbot and I think the other was Dave Bolland. Something something I don't know hockey. If only your hero knew the expectations you set for him. I personally LOL'd harder than I ever did in my life you picked 2 guys who scored Cup winning goals to justify trading him

6irelli will age like fine wine dawg. 6 points tied for the team lead after us listening to you all last season

Too bad we won that Cup with Savard eh?

If I *REALLY* wanted to lay it on. I'd quote you talking to Squid about high horses and not being that guy

TMYK

Also in before "rent free" "that's creepy bro" or "I never said that" in 3, 2, 1. Nah dawg. I've just spent 9 years here and remember you tripling down on your superiority complex

I'll say it louder. You're not that guy.

Edit: Sky ended up being right about J.T Miller by the time he turned it around in Vancouver. Might as well give him some flowers

How can I be revising history if I'm tripling down?

But damn, rent free, kinda creepy bro still love you though.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
How can I be revising history if I'm tripling down?

But damn, rent free, kinda creepy bro.

Not at all my dude. See, when 98% of someone's content is insults, big dogging, name calling or gaslighting, it's remarkably easy to remember any kind of organic thought or insight they have. It stands out like a mountain because it could be a another year before I see an actual hockey post again. It's about as hard to forget as walking into a store and remembering you only need to buy milk and bread. You don't need to be creeped out at all. Everytime you belittle someone you act like my sister's twin separated at birth. I learned to filter her out about 20 years ago and you take about 2 seconds.

You're the cause of your own behavior and your hockey takes aren't the end all be all around here. It is perfectly possible to have an opinion without doing whatever this shtick is. If you can't then get help

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I like how JBB keeps trading at the deadline when all the smart people here know new players don't work out right away!
Honestly it do take smart people , more like people that realize the challenges. It is not often a player is picked up at the deadline and fits seamlessly nato the system. Then there is the adjustment to the linemates. Now there are exceptions to the rule and it is usually the older veterans that do so. JG Pageau fit well on the island. Then there was Steve Sullivan whose first game in Nashville produced a hat trick . So it is not unheard of. We are not talking about a player of that stature however, if Jeanott does find a way to keep up he could be an asset. I have been as critical as anyone here admitted but I did se every game the guy played in Nashville. And honestly when he came here other than the price paid I was in hope he could possibly play in the top 6. I also learned how slow the Preds were as a team because Jeanott did not look out of place until he got on the ice with players that have speed and rely on it for offense.

What will be the plan be if he does not rebound ? It already looks like ABB will be somewhere on the roster and he could well score 20 goals but has nothing else. He has the hockey IQ of a slug. After that is Sheary a guy I have liked in the past but had just been spinning his wheels for a number of years.

So many unknowns. Can Heddy and more importantly Vasi return to form. Will the 3rd pair play to their potential. If Point, Kuch, Stammer and Hagel all have 40 goals the rest of the team will need about 130 goals to meet goal production of the last few years. I can’t see a path to that happening. So here we are discussing a grit and sandpaper guy as if the future depends all on him .

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I mean, trades are always based upon potential when you are maxed out at cap and have limited resources. You are trying to find someone that is a project, or can turn things around for cheap. That’s just like, how it is? We’re shopping at eBay for players and sometimes they need some work.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I mean, trades are always based upon potential when you are maxed out at cap and have limited resources. You are trying to find someone that is a project, or can turn things around for cheap. That’s just like, how it is? We’re shopping at eBay for players and sometimes they need some work.

When did we trade for risky players at the deadline? If you meant signings than sure, the Bogosian and Shattenkirk signings were risky but we didnt give up assets for them.

We payed premium prices for Coleman, Savard, Goodrow, Hagel and Jeannot all of them specifically targeted to fill a hole and contribute right away for that run.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
When did we trade for risky players at the deadline? If you meant signings than sure, the Bogosian and Shattenkirk signings were risky but we didnt give up assets for them.

We payed premium prices for Coleman, Savard, Goodrow, Hagel and Jeannot all of them specifically targeted to fill a hole and contribute right away for that run.

This. JBB singled out players he wanted, some of them who weren't even on the market, and overpaid so he could get them. That is the reverse of bargain shopping and should come come with a certain level of certainty. I don't think that means his trades have to work out 100% of the time, but the argument that the trades were inherently risky while Bresbois was publicly reassuring fans of the opposite I think is the wrong take.

If the trade off when paying extra to land the player you want isn't a greater chance that they will work out, why make the trade?

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
And none were top trade targets in the nhl. I agree that We target players with special skills to fit a team need, which is why it’s super weird you are hyper focused on stats from these players since that’s kind of the antithesis of your argument?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Question to those of you "roasting" JBB for his performance; the Lightning have three Cup Finals and two Stanley Cup Championships in the past four seasons. If you feel this is "unacceptable", how do you grade the performances of the other 31 GMs throughout the League when not one of them can match his record of those four seasons?
Fire away as the "Big Boy Pants" are on.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Question to those of you "roasting" JBB for his performance; the Lightning have three Cup Finals and two Stanley Cup Championships in the past four seasons. If you feel this is "unacceptable", how do you grade the performances of the other 31 GMs throughout the League when not one of them can match his record of those four seasons?
Do you want us to start every criticism of JBB by saying "I know he made good trades in the past, but..."?

You know you can be critical of certain trades/signings and supportive of others?

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Let me know when the “Fire JBB” threads start to pop up.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I dont have a problem with making the moves it's how he's doing it maybe can be criticized. Don't need to or you cant just throw a bunch of picks something every time and hope it's going to work. I think the only thing that really gives him that mentality is the fact that we can play on house money a little bit since they won the cup a few times but there is a also a maximization you can do to keep that going as long as possible. Maybe jbb deserves criticism for that. Especially if we don't win a cup again soon. Not saying he should be fired if we don't win but criticism is deserved.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
And none were top trade targets in the nhl. I agree that We target players with special skills to fit a team need, which is why it’s super weird you are hyper focused on stats from these players since that’s kind of the antithesis of your argument?

Right and most weren't on the trade market either meaning we didn't go bargain binning for them like you suggested.

Not really, all of these guys have to produce to a point or bring something else to off-set that, Goodrow didn't put up elite numbers but had an excellent, effective game from the start and he wasn't criticized.

What did Jenanot do? If he put up 2 points but was imposing his physical game like he was brought in to do then he'd have been treated the exact same. If you spend 5 draft picks on a guy and the most noticeable thing he does in 25 games is a meaningless fight in April, added nothing in the playoffs in a contending year where we spent most of our limited resources on then yeah he's fair to be criticized.

Last edited:
Reactions: Byrddog

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't remember what I said last week and you're asking about 10 years ago? GG.

Oh that? Someone over there is just big mad I can remember that like the 4 hockey takes they've ever had in 9 years except for J.T Miller turning into a stud were all wrong. Imagine that. Trying to have a legitimate hockey conversation instead of listening to some person you don't know act like snark. Don't worry. He's not that guy

TMYK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad