Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Brayden Point | 3 years, $6.75M AAV

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Interested in seeing your cap breakdown to show the space you seem to believe we have.

We have about 1.8m to accrue between now and February. Or am I wrong on that? (Not being facetious.)

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
We have about 1.8m to accrue between now and February. Or am I wrong on that? (Not being facetious.)

I don't know the number, but I'm just a bit surprised to see 1.8 million and "plenty of room to acquire a rental or two" aligned together.

If we're going to bring in a rental, one of the guys with an NTC is going back in return, there's just no other way around it. Depending on who it is one of our prospects and/or RFA's will be going with him.

I'm not complaining btw, I love that Point signed what he did. It makes me think he wanted to sign all along and that it was his agent who was holding out for more money. This confirms for me that Point is as much a team guy as I hoped he'd be. It was a really good deal but it was one out of necessity for us, we simply didn't have the money to offer him more and think we had any reasonable expectation of keeping our RFA's next offseason. We still can't unless moves are made.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I don't know the number, but I'm just a bit surprised to see 1.8 million and "plenty of room to acquire a rental or two" aligned together.

If we're going to bring in a rental, one of the guys with an NTC is going back in return, there's just no other way around it. Depending on who it is one of our prospects and/or RFA's will be going with him.

I'm not complaining btw, I love that Point signed what he did. It makes me think he wanted to sign all along and that it was his agent who was holding out for more money. This confirms for me that Point is as much a team guy as I hoped he'd be. It was a really good deal but it was one out of necessity for us, we simply didn't have the money to offer him more and think we had any reasonable expectation of keeping our RFA's next offseason. We still can't unless moves are made.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Space accrues during the year. JBB mentioned that 1m is worth 4m at the TDL in a recent interview. So we're looking at enough money to land either a great player or a couple of very good ones.

I'm not complaining btw, I love that Point signed what he did. It makes me think he wanted to sign all along and that it was his agent who was holding out for more money. This confirms for me that Point is as much a team guy as I hoped he'd be. It was a really good deal but it was one of of necessity for us, we simply didn't have the money to offer him more and think we had any reasonable expectation of keeping our RFA's next offseason. We still can't unless moves are made.

We'll very likely lose a player next year. But we have solid prospects coming up, and Point accepting a bridge goes a long way toward making next year's decisions easier.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

You're not. Pretty close in fact.

And if anyone wants to get the jump on next year's cap-crap-crunch, head on over to CapFriendly and play around with $83.5M as your upper limit. ($9.358M to play with - for those who are lazy)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

No, it was actually JBB who wouldn't budge on his 5.66m offer. His agent and him were only waiting on a higher offer than the lowball.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

And if anyone wants to get the jump on next year's cap-crap-crunch, head on over to CapFriendly and play around with $83.5M as your upper limit. ($9.358M to play with - for those who are lazy)

A lot of that goes to Vasy, doesn't it? So we're still in trouble. But Point leaving some cash on the table helps with that. As do most of the recent RFA defense signings.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
All right, let the season begin. I had zero concerns here. A bridge was the obvious option. Still, JBB has been doing fine work this offseason (save a little overpayment on Vasy). Now we just need a mid-season Cooper firing and a coach who can motivate us in the playoffs and craft a strategy to beat the 1-3-1 and neutral zone trap.

Reactions: PJ817

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Still can't stop smiling.

It helps that I'm watching Toronto media and they just can't make sense of this.
It's hard to do the work I'm supposed to be doing and listen to TSN radio at the same time.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

Where is the 9.35 figure coming from? Spotrac has us at 82.4 million committed for next season with Point's deal added in. This is with Cernak, Cirelli, Sergachev, Joseph, Martel, Maroon, Shattenkirk, Schenn, and Rutta as RFA's or UFA's. Not that I expect us to keep, or want to keep, all of those guys. But I don't understand how Cap Friendly has this all equate to 9.35 in room to work with.

Edit: Spotrac is including our non-roster players in the 82.4 figure. For our active roster it has us at 74.14 committed for next season for 14 players. Good, more room than I thought.

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Where is the 9.35 figure coming from? Spotrac has us at 82.4 million committed for next season with Point's deal added in. This is with Cernak, Cirelli, Sergachev, Joseph, Martel, Maroon, Shattenkirk, Schenn, and Rutta as RFA's or UFA's. Not that I expect us to keep, or want to keep, all of those guys. But I don't understand how Cap Friendly has this all equate to 9.35 in room to work with.

Edit: Spotrac is including our non-roster players in the 82.4 figure. For our active roster it has us at 74.14 committed for next season for 14 players. Good, more room than I thought.

46,316,666 + 17,025,000 + 10,800,000 -> $74,141,666

You add in all the AHL/ELC on the books you get ($7,269,256 + $1,646,600) which is where I believe they got their $82.4M. So, correct

I guess the exercise then would be $9.358M to resign/not-resign/promote

Cirelli
Sergachev
Cernak
Joseph

Maroon
Martel
Shattenkirk
Rutta
Schenn

Volkov
Stephens
Colton
Yan
Smith
Conacher
Mueller
Verhaeghe

It's "guesstimated" that the cap-max next season will be $83.5M. An increase of $2M. Might be more. Hopefully more... but the majority of folks believe it'll be a small bump like this past summer and that's it. Its after the next TV contract renewal (and the addition of Seattle) that clubs will get some cap breathing room.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Man, this news really did help me keep my mood up when I had to deal with some annoying customers today at work. I'm just very happy that it finally happened. Earlier in the day I was talking to a colleague about our teams (he's a Red Wings fan but it wasn't a bad talk, just more about our teams in general) and I did say that the one thing I want right now is for us to sign Point and not we have.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
screen-shot-09-23-19-at-05.47-pm.jpg

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Continued growing faith in JBB on this one. Still an elevated prove it deal without getting stupid and caving into pressure. The blood pressure spike alone this has caused in Toronto is glorious.

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
Great contract for the Tampa Bay Lightning organisation.
Julien Brisebois did an amazing job, gave the team as much flexibility as he could moving forward, and got our player signed before the start of the season.

This is also a good contract for Brayden Point.
$20.25 million is good money for a RFA and the guy is set for life if he makes the right moves with his money.
Brayden did not sign any offer sheets and accepted a team friendly contract.
He showed he cared about this team and wanted only to play for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad