Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Brayden Point | 3 years, $6.75M AAV

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Great contract for the Tampa Bay Lightning organisation.
Julien Brisebois did an amazing job, gave the team as much flexibility as he could moving forward, and got our player signed before the start of the season.

This is also a good contract for Brayden Point.
$20.25 million is good money for a RFA and the guy is set for life if he makes the right moves with his money.
Brayden did not sign any offer sheets and accepted a team friendly contract.
He showed he cared about this team and wanted only to play for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
I've read that the Point deal is similar to the Timo Meier's one.
The SJ forward has signed a 6M AAV 4 years deal: and the last year, like Point, will be the "richest" one :)

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Another great signing by JBB. IF points improves he is sitting himself up with a huge deal from us or someone else. If he regressed we can save money on the next deal. Lets hope we close the cup in the three year window. We will have some contracts coming off the books when it is time to sign Point again.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I am laughing so hard right now. For like 20 minutes.
giphy.gif

JFBB. He earned the F.
Absolutely. Vinik should let him use some of that extra cash and buy all new business cards

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
giphy.gif

Absolutely. Vinik should let him use some of that extra cash and buy all new business cards

He would take that business card money, triple it, and use the extra cash to renovate the lockerroom or something.

JFBB.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Ya'll can celebrate all you want now, in 3 years he'll bleed us for that next contract.

Got no issues paying great players though.

for sure he will be the first lightning player to get over 10 avv per year if he produces like last season over 3 years. I expect his 8 year deal to be 10.5 avv for 8 years after this deal.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Before we get too excited we need to find outthe salary structure. What is the last year worth? What happens if Point gets a 10 mil QO?

he will but by then the lightning will have an 8 year deal done with him a year early like they did with Hedman, Kucherov and Vasy! but then JBB knows his free ride with point will be over it will be time to pay up like he did with VASY and KUCH. Hopefully now JBB gets at least two of our 4 rfa's resigned before next summer now.

Reactions: Zwui21

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I already knew he wasn't getting 7+ so this doesn't surprise me one bit. What I hope is that before he can sign his next deal the CBA is changed and there are no more 8 year deals. I only want to sign him for 6 years after this deal, I don't want to be paying 10+ for a 34/35 year old player.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
I love Point's compete level. But he is 5'9" and weighs 166 lbs soaken wet! He had hip injury in offseason and may not be ready to play this year till almost November. I am extremely happy he only got a 3 year deal. For all of those folks who want to give him $10 M on a 8-year deal in the future, please but the brakes on that. Lets see if he can duplicate a 70 point season first and stay healthy! Hockey is trending towards smaller faster players but its still a crap shoot for such a small player to withstand such punishment!

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I like the TSN video posted. With a minute left they debunk the whole State Tax advantage thing. Go Bolts!

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
All right, let the season begin. I had zero concerns here. A bridge was the obvious option. Still, JBB has been doing fine work this offseason (save a little overpayment on Vasy). Now we just need a mid-season Cooper firing and a coach who can motivate us in the playoffs and craft a strategy to beat the 1-3-1 and neutral zone trap.
YASSSSS!:)

Cooper = great person, funny person, great with younger kids, great with older adults, great with sick people, also great with bubblegum.

Not much else.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Lol is this the stupid guy that told everyone karlsson was traded to the lightning?
Not to mention he has a national audience and doesn't use the appropriate spelling for "their" (I mean TWITTER EVEN DOES THAT FOR YOU):laugh::huh:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Short answer to why the Leafs can't get this done? Dubas is a mouth breather who is completely and totally out of his element. Once he wooed Tavares with $11 million (in a completely and totally unnecessary move) he set a precedent to pay the rest of his team like this. Without Tavares he could've bridged Matthews and Marner at about $8 million each and no one would've batted an eyelash because Leon Draisaitl got the Stamkos deal after basically 1 year of great production. But those guys? It's totally worth it. Nylander would've been $5 million at most and now suddenly you're not only NOT fondling Carolina's junk to take Marleau off your hands, you've got another $11 million not committed to Tavares in your back pocket that you haven't even used yet on top of what... about 5-7 million saved between Marner, Nylander and Matthews??

This has nothing to do with players not wanting to take discounts. Dubas had to go flex his nuts by getting Tavares for big boy money and now he's gotta pay better players the exact same way. Absolutely the stupidest thing he could've done because Tavares was never the make or break for a winning formula. It was a better defense and goaltending because God knows the only way the Leafs ever get the puck back from getting hammered in their zone is "Save by Anderssen" and one of their guys mercifully gets the puck before he can dump it back the other way

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Short answer to why the Leafs can't get this done? Dubas is a mouth breather who is completely and totally out of his element. Once he wooed Tavares with $11 million (in a completely and totally unnecessary move) he set a precedent to pay the rest of his team like this. Without Tavares he could've bridged Matthews and Marner at about $8 million each and no one would've batted an eyelash because Leon Draisaitl got the Stamkos deal after basically 1 year of great production. But those guys? It's totally worth it. Nylander would've been $5 million at most and now suddenly you're not only NOT fondling Carolina's junk to take Marleau off your hands, you've got another $11 million not committed to Tavares in your back pocket that you haven't even used yet on top of what... about 5-7 million saved between Marner, Nylander and Matthews??

This has nothing to do with players not wanting to take discounts. Dubas had to go flex his nuts by getting Tavares for big boy money and now he's gotta pay better players the exact same way. Absolutely the stupidest thing he could've done because Tavares was never the make or break for a winning formula. It was a better defense and goaltending because God knows the only way the Leafs ever get the puck back from getting hammered in their zone is "Save by Anderssen" and one of their guys mercifully gets the puck before he can dump it back the other way

I don’t think acquiring Tavares set Matthews price. Eichel and McDavid set the table for him. Combine our completely out of control market driving forces and you have a perfect storm for any GM coming in to navigate “reasonable” competitive strategies.

Dubas hired Pridham. A name lost in the incessant Leafs blame game. Dubas (And Shanahan) seems to have deferred to their capologist in terms of ongoing structure, valuation etc. Interviews certainly suggest that’s the case.

But I can’t help but wonder if much of the disproportionate focus on Dubas isn’t symptomatic of the very thing that deforms Toronto’s market in the first place?

Tampa’s a fortunate market place. And maybe the culture created there has much more to do with players willingness to put the team ahead of dollars? There certainly seems to be a causal relationship. Is it the organization alone? The fans? The smaller more amenable (no idea) media?

As it stands, Tavares has been a great addition. His contract in isolated consideration isn’t the problem. It’s this new wave of second contracts. Money - you’re completely right - should be there to address other obvious needs.

But I’d love to know, from Dubas and Pridham, if they were blindsided by the “big three” in negotiations. It may have been a collective savings of 5-6M had lesser contracts been signed, but your point stands.

Congratulations on Point’s contract. What a boost to the morale of that club and it’s fanbase that must be.

Reciprocated faith. What a novel concept.

Reactions: 42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad