Confirmed with Link: Lightning extend Andrei Vasilevskiy | 8 years, $9.5M AAV

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
gpr9BKl.png

And just to clarify: I'm not saying you stick with Domingue over Vasy. I'm not saying you scrape the bottom of the barrel for goalies. I said all of this in some other thread (maybe the general offseason one). This team can win with a solid starting goalie.

If you're asking do I take a 15-20 goalie for 5-6 or a top 3 for 9.5, I'm taking the cheaper option every time. If Tampa comes out on fire in the playoffs and Vasy ****s the bed, you flush your playoffs down the toilet.

Goalies are weird because they're so vital, but because they're so vital, it can really hurt you if you put big money into them. Look at Bob. The dude was absolute trash in the playoffs until he was a God vs us.

They're too hot/cold to put that kind of money into.

And if Vasilevskiy is on fire and the forwards shit the bed you flush the playoffs down the toilet too.

Vasilevskiy was really good against Pittsburgh and Washington while the forwards struggled. Against Columbus Vasilevskiy sucked but the forwards weren't anything special either. So he has been better overall than the forwards the past three playoffs. So why wouldn't you pay that guy more than the forwards who haven't been as good?

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
A lot overreacting in here in regards for what this means for the Point contract. The Point timeline was always going to be late August, this has no impact. The market hasn't been developed at all for any of those RFAs who are coming off their ELC.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
You're not wrong. I said in previous threads we'd have to keep Vasy at all costs, because finding a #1 isn't as easy as some would have you believe.

...but the timing is weird. I think what we're concerned about is an apparent lack of negotiation, or attempt to keep the $ low. But maybe that was to keep Vasy from being distracted?
I think working backwards like this might have been the plan all along. If you go to FA looking for a goaltender you're going to be in the same range, but your cap is already f***ed up because you signed everyone else. Now you have an anchor like the Rangers have had for years, and you can mix and match the players as needed. Easy to replace one of your twelve forwards, compared to replacing your single workhorse goaltender.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Chances are Point and the Lightning have a handshake deal in place and they aren't gonna sign it til much later. If a 40 goal player in Point takes a modest extension when a guy like Laine is probably shooting for 8 years $80 million you're gonna break the damn league and infuriate the NHLPA. Vasy's contract now gives us a barometer of what kind of numbers we're talking about with Point.

Every team has cap monkeys who do nothing all day but sit there and look at salary numbers and get paid to do it. If Point's camp was asking for everything in the world you don't do this deal with Vasy this far ahead. Unless we reacted to the Bob deal or are scared of what Holtby is going to ask for then there's a plan. I could be wrong about Point but again.... You don't make a deal THIS big if Point wants a big deal too.

There's always a plan
I think you're on the right track, but i'm guessing it'll be because we'll have more movement with forwards and money going out first, then the deal will get settled. If you sign him now, you're taking the theoretical gun-to-the-head and putting the actual gun to your head, putting you on a timer to move salary out and not get penalized, and putting you in a shitty spot to negotiate with others.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
How does the team or Point justify giving Point 9.5+ on his second deal when his Vezina winning teammate just got 9.5 on his third deal?

That's a good question and not one that Point's camp is gonna have fun answering when Stamkos bridged after back to back 90 point seasons and a 50 goal sophomore campaign and did it for $7.5 million AAV

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think you're on the right track, but i'm guessing it'll be because we'll have more movement with forwards and money going out first, then the deal will get settled. If you sign him now, you're taking the theoretical gun-to-the-head and putting the actual gun to your head, putting you on a timer to move salary out and not get penalized, and putting you in a ****ty spot to negotiate with others.

It's wishful thinking on my end but I don't know if there's any kind of gun. If Point signs a modest deal and the other RFA's follow true to form we might be okay. We'll see though. I'm just glad we have Vasy locked up for 9 years because I'll be damned if I'm ever gonna remember what it was like not having even a decent goalie

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Just to give an idea of what we bought...

Vasy was prorated over 82 games to give up 198 goals last year. Domingue was prorated to give up 236. Quick was perhaps the worst statistical #1 goalie last year and he was prorated to give up 265 goals.

Some of you haven't experienced enough pain when it comes to poor goaltending. You haven't seen a goalie swing and miss at a puck or get scored on from the red line or flail about randomly on the ice without a clue. If you have OCD like me, it does something to you.

Johan Holmqvist and is .879 save percentage was our #1 and 06-07, we by some act of God still made the playoffs but despite having some of the best offensive contributions of the decade on the team we couldn't survive that shit.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It's wishful thinking on my end but I don't know if there's any kind of gun. If Point signs a modest deal and the other RFA's follow true to form we might be okay. We'll see though. I'm just glad we have Vasy locked up for 9 years because I'll be damned if I'm ever gonna remember what it was like not having even a decent goalie
I mean, the gun would be penalties for going over the cap.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This contract will Be great 3 years from now when I think the cap takes a big jump! But next season we probably only get a 2 million dollar jump on the cap. A year after Seattle comes in I expect the cap to jump up 4-5 million higher. Especially because of that 650 million dollar fee Seattle has to pay.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
As far as contracts, I don't think anything has or will change since BriseBois worked on all those contracts made during Yzermans tenure as assistant gm. He's the numbers guy and that's really what his background is and what his main duties were here dealing with negotiations, working the cba, analytics, and salary arbitration.

That said, while they've signed a lot of friendly deals over the years, it was really Stamkos and Hedman, the two pillars of the franchise who decided to take the lead on this and talked about the importance of the rest of the team buying into this. So imo the idea is really more player driven.

That’s cool, thanks for the well thought out reply. Shows good leadership and dedication to being a winner on Stamkos and Hedman’s behalf.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Congrats to you guys for keeping one of the best goalies in ZA WARUDO for all of his best years!

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
YAY!, sure its a lot of money right now but I think the cap will be much higher and this contract will look much better the longer it goes. Plus he's still only 25 so its not like this deal is running till he's 37-38.

Its nice to have the goalie position settled for the foreseeable future.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
a little higher than I'd hoped but fair deal, he is a great goalie that we now have for the next 9 years.

Oh and these adds on this site makes it unbearable!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think working backwards like this might have been the plan all along. If you go to FA looking for a goaltender you're going to be in the same range, but your cap is already ****ed up because you signed everyone else. Now you have an anchor like the Rangers have had for years, and you can mix and match the players as needed. Easy to replace one of your twelve forwards, compared to replacing your single workhorse goaltender.
Yeah, it's definitely cost certainty. I guess the league is being forced away from the idea that you shouldnt overspend on goaltending. No other real option now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad