Confirmed with Link: Lightning extend Andrei Vasilevskiy | 8 years, $9.5M AAV

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If you don’t believe in him then obviously you don’t like this deal. I do believe he is elite and this deal will look great in a couple years, especially with the cap increasing.

Well the other option was to try to bridge him again and that just wasnt happening. He likely wouldnt have been very happy with that and you leave open the possibility that he leaves in UFA. Then what do you do? With no real great goalie prospects going forward, the team pretty much had to do this. I think goalie contracts will go up too. People will be scratching their head over far worse goalies than Vasi making big money.

Reactions: berlin

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I’m not shocked at all Kucherov and Vasilevskiy have the same agent and Kucherov did the same thing signed one year out before being a free agent as a RFA. That’s smarts business by a agent hey let’s get this contract done early before Tampa has less cap space to work with next summer! If point had a good agent he would have tried for an extension last summer. Or at the very least tried to do an extension with Tampa back in December.

Had Point signed before scoring 90 points and 40 goals he would’ve lost millions of dollars. Seems like a good agent to me.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I’m not shocked at all Kucherov and Vasilevskiy have the same agent and Kucherov did the same thing signed one year out before being a free agent as a RFA. That’s smarts business by a agent hey let’s get this contract done early before Tampa has less cap space to work with next summer! If point had a good agent he would have tried for an extension last summer. Or at the very least tried to do an extension with Tampa back in December.

Well if they are going by the past then Point was/is still a bridge away from getting his big deal. We will see.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
We couldn't get their shirts off for this?
wodwqcd.png

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
A goalie can lose you the Cup single handedly with a bad stretch. There's enough F and D that if someone is having an off series (Or playoff career, like Stamkos) you can generally get through a rough stretch. If your 9.5M goalie has a rough stretch, you're done.

It's just too risky to dish out that kind of money. Already seeing the hopes of rookies filling a spot. Gonna be fun to see when we have to deal out 2-3 guys to fit the core and half the team is league minimum guys and rookies on ELCs.

Good times.

You keep crapping on the goalie for possibly losing the Cup if they have a bad stretch but don't criticize the forwards.

Up 2-1 against the Blackhawks we lose 3 straight scoring 1, 1 and 0 goals the last 3 games. Up 3-2 against the Penguins we lose 2 straight scoring 2 and 1 goals. Up 3-2 against Washington we lose 2 straight and score 0 and 0. So in 7 games we scored a total of 5 goals. Do you know who had the most points in those games? Filpulla with 3. Who had the most goals? Boyle with 2. Stamkos and Hedman had 1 secondary assist each, Slater friggin Koekkoek had a primary assist. Kucherov had 0 points.

It's a risk to sign anybody for that kind of money but Vasilevskiy is only 25. He's won a Vezina and finished 3rd once another time. He hasn't even been a full time starter for many years so there's plenty of mileage left. I don't know if he can win us the Cup but if he plays 60 games a year we should be in the playoffs every year. We need more than just him to win the Cup and he will give us a chance by getting us in the playoffs every year.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
This signature is pretty much the market rate in 2019 and down the road, when the cap will rise, it will turn out to be a pretty good deal for us. We are talking about an athlete who should keep this elite standard until the end of his new deal . Unlike other goalies who will be close to 40 and going downhill , when there deals are done , Vasy will still be in his prime on year 6-7-8 and therefore his contract wont be burden for the Bolts.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Here is to hoping for a rising cap. Vassy has been great and this is his market value....actually probably a discount relative to what he’d command on the market today as an UFA.

I wonder if this same deal would be acceptable this time next year to Vassy? I think probably so. All the risk here is with the Lightning if Vassy shits the bed in the playoffs again.

Here is to hoping this looks like a bargain in a few years.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Here is to hoping for a rising cap. Vassy has been great and this is his market value....actually probably a discount relative to what he’d command on the market today as an UFA.

I wonder if this same deal would be acceptable this time next year to Vassy? I think probably so. All the risk here is with the Lightning if Vassy ****s the bed in the playoffs again.

Here is to hoping this looks like a bargain in a few years.
You risk that it could have cost the lightning more next summer if the cap goes up say 3 million and he has a very successful season he could have asked for 10.5 avv for 8 years.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Or he pulls a Nylander and doesn't play. I'd be really surprised if Point takes a team deal.
I’d be very surprised if he signs for anything more then a 3 year term deal. We have bridged all our players pretty much before there long term deals signed! Palat, Johnson, killorn, kucherov, Vasy, gourde just to name some.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I’d be very surprised if he signs for anything more then a 3 year term deal. We have bridged all our players pretty much before there long term deals signed! Palat, Johnson, killorn, kucherov, Vasy, gourde just to name some.
And eventually, someone won't want to bridge. Point very likely wants 5 years, to take him right to UFA. Gets paid now AND he'll get another big payday.

I was on board with Point taking a team deal, but I think that ship has sailed. He's getting at least 9.5

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
And eventually, someone won't want to bridge. Point very likely wants 5 years, to take him right to UFA. Gets paid now AND he'll get another big payday.

I was on board with Point taking a team deal, but I think that ship has sailed. He's getting at least 9.5
With our cap structure there is no way we can pay point 9.5 avv after this season. There probably forcing the bridge on him for 6.5 avv for 3 years

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

You really think our management is going to pay point a 5 year deal at 9.5 avv ? And basically we only buy 1 year of his UFA years ?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
With our cap structure there is no way we can pay point 9.5 avv after this season. There probably forcing the bridge on him for 6.5 avv for 3 years
Lmao. Ok. Point isn't signing for 6.5. Holy crap man the Kool aid is on full display.

Not everyone will buy into the team friendly deal. It doesn't matter what this management team will or won't do. It's a question of what the player is winning to do. Do you sign a deal unfavorable to you, sit out and hope the team caves or do you demand to be traded?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Lmao. Ok. Point isn't signing for 6.5. Holy crap man the Kool aid is on full display.

Not everyone will buy into the team friendly deal. It doesn't matter what this management team will or won't do. It's a question of what the player is winning to do. Do you sign a deal unfavorable to you, sit out and hope the team caves or do you demand to be traded?

Well let’s see he has passed on offer sheets! So he has to be pleased with his contract talks with the lightning are going. Just because other teams pay RFA’s who have no arbitration rights! A 5 year deal and buy one Ufa year does not mean our management is going to do it. With what we have done in the past what makes you think we would cave and pay point 9.5 avv for a 5 years deal ? If we went to 9.5 avv then our management would demand he goes to a 8 year term. I see the only solution is that they pay him a 3 year term and then revisit this situation after 3 seasons.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013

It's also laughable to suggest he gets more then Kucherov's 9.5. It ain't happening. That's the ceiling, not the floor.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Point for his career so far is averaging 71 points per 82. If you go by the 100k per point method he should get 7.1 a year, which is closer to 6.5 than 9.5. But he has 4 RFA years left so those contracts should be 75% of what he would as a UFA. Which puts him at 5.3 a year, so 6.5 is generous. Even if you go by last years 92 points instead of his career average of 71 he should get 6.9 with the 75% RFA tax. I don't see how he gets 9.5 unless we just ignore his RFA years which is a big mistake and he hasn't earned that. He has no trophies to call on, when Stamkos got his 2nd deal he already had a Rocket and better numbers so he could ask for more, Point has nothing to back up asking for 9.5.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Point for his career so far is averaging 71 points per 82. If you go by the 100k per point method he should get 7.1 a year, which is closer to 6.5 than 9.5. But he has 4 RFA years left so those contracts should be 75% of what he would as a UFA. Which puts him at 5.3 a year, so 6.5 is generous. Even if you go by last years 92 points instead of his career average of 71 he should get 6.9 with the 75% RFA tax. I don't see how he gets 9.5 unless we just ignore his RFA years which is a big mistake and he hasn't earned that. He has no trophies to call on, when Stamkos got his 2nd deal he already had a Rocket and better numbers so he could ask for more, Point has nothing to back up asking for 9.5.
Holy crap, I agree with Hose!

Point has no leverage to ask for 9.5 at this point. His Vezina winning teammate just signed for 9.5 on his third deal. Theres no justification to give Point that much on his RFA deal.

If he wants to fight it and get that or more, he doesnt want to be part of what we're doing here.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
You guys keep going on and on about Point like he's the straw stirring the drink on this team and can basically name his price. That is NOT the case at all. Kuch makes $9.5 and Vasy now will make $9.5.. however, there is actual REAL debate about one or the other being the best and most important piece on the team. That IS NOT the case with Point. Point is not in the discussion as the best player and will not get paid as such. He remains under team control for, what? 4 more years? He will sign for quite a bit less than the ridiculous numbers I see getting tossed around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad