Confirmed with Link: Lightning extend Andrei Vasilevskiy | 8 years, $9.5M AAV

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah I think the idea of Point going team friendly bridge is long, long gone by now.

He's going to get paid. The question is: does the team have the stones to pay him more than Kucherov?
Honestly I think this deal makes it likely that we were wrong about 9.5 being an informal ceiling. I'm now expecting Point to make more than Kucherov, which is not something I'm happy about.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Seriously... with Carey Price at $10.5 until he is 39 years old and Bob at $10 until he is 37 years old, getting Vasi at $9.5 until he is 33 is a coup. I like him, his AAV and his age all better than those other two guys. I wouldn't be even a little bit surprised if he wins 3+ more Vezinas during this contract.
Honestly? We just don't like paying market value. Because it's rare that we've had to. And because not paying market value is why our "window" seemed limitless. Not so sure it is now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Those are tomorrow days folks. Palat could all go back to being awesome in 3 months and not a single one of us is gonna want to lose him. You DAMN sure don't trade our best two playoff performers in Johnny and Killer either.

Point signs a fair deal and we're fine.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Hahah, you guys are insane. We went a decade without a goaltender that wasn't an embarassment (looking at you Denis, Smith, Holmqvist) and now that we have one, signed at market rate, its awful :laugh:
No kidding let’s let a goalie walk to FA and go on a search for a solution for 10 years like last time! Signing Vasy was always going to happen! Price got 10.5 bob got 10 and Vasy got 9.5 so there all close in what they got.

Reactions: DaBolts

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Additionally, what the hell was the point of signing this right now, in the midst of Point negotiations? Really terrible stuff

I'm starting to think Point wants A LOT....

Vezina winning 25 year old goalie takes 9.5 per year. Could be a message to sway Point down.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hahah, you guys are insane. We went a decade without a goaltender that wasn't an embarassment (looking at you Denis, Smith, Holmqvist) and now that we have one, signed at market rate, its awful :laugh:
You're not wrong. I said in previous threads we'd have to keep Vasy at all costs, because finding a #1 isn't as easy as some would have you believe.

...but the timing is weird. I think what we're concerned about is an apparent lack of negotiation, or attempt to keep the $ low. But maybe that was to keep Vasy from being distracted?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Point is trying to get his second contract and this was Vasi's 3rd. Our trend has been bridge on the second deal and then pay them on their 3rd. Maybe Point wont get more than Stammer or Kuch? I mean if we are continuing our trend here, Point gets a 3 year bridge with the avv down a bit. Lets just wait and see before we think Point is getting a max deal here.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Conspiracy theory: this is JBB saying to Point, "see? Everybody who takes a bridge deal gets paid, no questions asked. Just like Kuch."

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm starting to think Point wants A LOT....

Vezina winning 25 year old goalie takes 9.5 per year. Could be a message to sway Point down.

We're going to be fine. The whole league is in a holding pattern. Marner, Laine, Rantanen, Tkachuk, Chabot, Point.... It's just stupid RFA drama.

As far as I can tell our disagreement was over term. If that's our hurdle we'll be fine.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Conspiracy theory: this is JBB saying to Point, "see? Everybody who takes a bridge deal gets paid, no questions asked. Just like Kuch."

There's been no exceptions to the rule either. As far back as Stamkos he took a bridge too. Point will bridge, everyone will freak and we're gonna hear about stupid taxes.

You don't hand Vasy that kind of moolah when Point's camp is trying for some outrageous non-bridge extension. The cap monkeys would never allow a deal with this much implications to next year's crunch happen if they thought this contract and Point's was gonna force trades

Reactions: T REX

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Wonder if the Tampa discounts are over now that Steve Y is gone?

That said goalie is the most underrated position in the game and he is clearly one of, if not the best.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Well it has been the trend right? I wouldnt rule out a bridge deal for Point and it being lower than what we all think it will be, especially at the moment.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah I think the idea of Point going team friendly bridge is long, long gone by now.

He's going to get paid. The question is: does the team have the stones to pay him more than Kucherov?
I don't know about that. This is just proof that if you take a bridge, you get paid more later. And who knows maybe they did this because they know he's willing to bridge.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
giphy.gif

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Chances are Point and the Lightning have a handshake deal in place and they aren't gonna sign it til much later. If a 40 goal player in Point takes a modest extension when a guy like Laine is probably shooting for 8 years $80 million you're gonna break the damn league and infuriate the NHLPA. Vasy's contract now gives us a barometer of what kind of numbers we're talking about with Point.

Every team has cap monkeys who do nothing all day but sit there and look at salary numbers and get paid to do it. If Point's camp was asking for everything in the world you don't do this deal with Vasy this far ahead. Unless we reacted to the Bob deal or are scared of what Holtby is going to ask for then there's a plan. I could be wrong about Point but again.... You don't make a deal THIS big if Point wants a big deal too.

There's always a plan

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Chances are Point and the Lightning have a handshake deal in place and they aren't gonna sign it til much later. If a 40 goal player in Point takes a modest extension when a guy like Laine is probably shooting for 8 years $80 million you're gonna break the damn league and infuriate the NHLPA. Vasy's contract now gives us a barometer of what kind of numbers we're talking about with Point.

Every team has cap monkeys who do nothing all day but sit there and look at salary numbers and get paid to do it. If Point's camp was asking for everything in the world you don't do this deal with Vasy this far ahead. Unless we reacted to the Bob deal or are scared of what Holtby is going to ask for then there's a plan. I could be wrong about Point but again.... You don't make a deal THIS big if Point wants a big deal too.

There's always a plan
How does the team or Point justify giving Point 9.5+ on his second deal when his Vezina winning teammate just got 9.5 on his third deal?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Don't like this. Goalies should be 8m max. It'll be a good contract in a few years but not yet.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Wonder if the Tampa discounts are over now that Steve Y is gone?

That said goalie is the most underrated position in the game and he is clearly one of, if not the best.
As far as contracts, I don't think anything has or will change since BriseBois worked on all those contracts made during Yzermans tenure as assistant gm. He's the numbers guy and that's really what his background is and what his main duties were here dealing with negotiations, working the cba, analytics, and salary arbitration.

That said, while they've signed a lot of friendly deals over the years, it was really Stamkos and Hedman, the two pillars of the franchise who decided to take the lead on this and talked about the importance of the rest of the team buying into this. So imo the idea is really more player driven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad