Confirmed with Link: Lightning extend Andrei Vasilevskiy | 8 years, $9.5M AAV

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
Every fan wishes it was for less money per year so we'd have $$ elsewhere, but do folks think we'd be better going in a different direction? I don't. Having stability at GK is one key to contending every year. He had a great season and a bad playoffs, but was great the playoffs the year before. Having a elite GK for the next 9 seasons is amazing. I know Binnington came out of nowhere and was lights out, but if that is your plan as management--ie--to get lucky and find Binnington you are more likely than not going to fail.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Every fan wishes it was for less money per year so we'd have $$ elsewhere, but do folks think we'd be better going in a different direction? I don't. Having stability at GK is one key to contending every year. He had a great season and a bad playoffs, but was great the playoffs the year before. Having a elite GK for the next 9 seasons is amazing. I know Binnington came out of nowhere and was lights out, but if that is your plan as management--ie--to get lucky and find Binnington you are more likely than not going to fail.
gpr9BKl.png

And just to clarify: I'm not saying you stick with Domingue over Vasy. I'm not saying you scrape the bottom of the barrel for goalies. I said all of this in some other thread (maybe the general offseason one). This team can win with a solid starting goalie.

If you're asking do I take a 15-20 goalie for 5-6 or a top 3 for 9.5, I'm taking the cheaper option every time. If Tampa comes out on fire in the playoffs and Vasy ****s the bed, you flush your playoffs down the toilet.

Goalies are weird because they're so vital, but because they're so vital, it can really hurt you if you put big money into them. Look at Bob. The dude was absolute trash in the playoffs until he was a God vs us.

They're too hot/cold to put that kind of money into.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obviously

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Additionally, what the hell was the point of signing this right now, in the midst of Point negotiations? Really terrible stuff

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Glad that we will have him locked up long term. That money could hurt early on but will be great going forward.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Man I would've thought with that term we could have got him cheaper than that. That's a lot for a goalie. Most teams regret spending that much at that position. Hope we don't become the Habs or Rangers.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Additionally, what the hell was the point of signing this right now, in the midst of Point negotiations? Really terrible stuff
I figured they would get this done before point! The point was next year Vasilevskiy was in the last year as a rfa and had arbitration rights which point does not have yet. Point has 4 years left of RFA years! Vasilevskiy had one year of rfa years left. So 7 of the 8 years we signed Vasilevskiy for were UFA years and signing players for there Ufa years is very expensive.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So it's official then? We're giving Point 14m?
Yeah I think the idea of Point going team friendly bridge is long, long gone by now.

He's going to get paid. The question is: does the team have the stones to pay him more than Kucherov?

BreadManPanarin

Mar 15, 2017
Kucherov got $9.5, Vasi got $9.5, Stamkos got $8.5, Hedman got $7.875. It would be nice to see Point take $9.5 to keep the trend going. Tax advantages of being in FL and all...

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We're gonna forget all about his contract if he backstops us to a championship. Don't give yourself a headache looking at the numbers. Soak in that we are going to have elite goaltending for the next 9 years. Don't make me break out the Denis, Burke, Grahame, Ellis, Smith, post 2010 Roloson and Lindback film. That stuff is hockey PTSD for me

You are obliged to give your cat love today

BreadManPanarin

Mar 15, 2017
We're gonna forget all about his contract if he backstops us to a championship. Don't give yourself a headache looking at the numbers. Soak in that we are going to have elite goaltending for the next 9 years. Don't make me break out the Denis, Burke, Grahame, Ellis, Smith, post 2010 Roloson and Lindback film. That stuff is hockey PTSD for me

You are obliged to give your cat love today

Seriously... with Carey Price at $10.5 until he is 39 years old and Bob at $10 until he is 37 years old, getting Vasi at $9.5 until he is 33 is a coup. I like him, his AAV and his age all better than those other two guys. I wouldn't be even a little bit surprised if he wins 3+ more Vezinas during this contract.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Seriously... with Carey Price at $10.5 until he is 39 years old and Bob at $10 until he is 37 years old, getting Vasi at $9.5 until he is 33 is a coup. I like him, his AAV and his age all better than those other two guys. I wouldn't be even a little bit surprised if he wins 3+ more Vezinas during this contract.

Lol I'll just settle for a Stanley at this point. That "Switch the Cup winners and losers" thread makes Lightning history almost feel better because this group would've finally won it by now lol

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Also, according to CapFriendly, there is not a NMC or NTC in the first year of the deal and a 10 team trade list in the last 3 years of the deal. I'm good with this contract.
Probably because of age or years played. There's some kind of quirk in the CBA about that. Like even McDavid doesn't have anything right now and Vasy is probably grandfathered in.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
2-3 years from now the deal will look good. By then the cap should be pretty high. Next offseason will be another interesting one though.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
So looking at the cap for next year, if it were to remain at it's current ceiling and Point got $10 Million AAV, we would be $4.2 Million under the cap with Cirelli, Joseph, Cernak, and Sergachev as those I feel must get re-signed. Martel and Rutta I could care less about. Killorn must submit a 16 team trade list next year so...unless the cap rises significantly, Killorn is likely getting moved...

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
So looking at the cap for next year, if it were to remain at it's current ceiling and Point got $10 Million AAV, we would be $4.2 Million under the cap with Cirelli, Joseph, Cernak, and Sergachev as those I feel must get re-signed. Martel and Rutta I could care less about. Killorn must submit a 16 team trade list next year so...unless the cap rises significantly, Killorn is likely getting moved...

A Palat buyout is entirely possible next summer with only two years left on his deal, depending on what kind of year he has next season. Him and Killorn are our best chances to shed cap.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
That’s all moot we don’t know what will happen because if the league does a lockout next season. For all we know we could have two buyouts again that won’t count vs the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad