LeBrun: Lightning and Point haven’t had much discussion [Mod warning in OP]

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
A bridge deal in the $5.5m-$6.5m range is substantially better than he can earn in any other league and he comes out even further behind sitting out. It’s not a mystery how this is going to play out.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
A bridge deal in the $5.5m-$6.5m range is substantially better than he can earn in any other league and he comes out even further behind sitting out. It’s not a mystery how this is going to play out.
He could be looking at Kucherov and realizing his big payday will come after the bridge. It worked out better for Kucherov financially.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It’s not going to drag on because neither side wants it to. Point’s letting his agent negotiate the best deal he can but he’s simply not the type to hold out, and from Tampa’s perspective you greatly underestimate Point’s importance to the team - he’s a big part of why they had such a dominant regular season. Could they in his absence move Johnson back to center, or promote Cirelli to the top six, and still be serious contenders? Sure they could, but as good as both players are neither is the two-way force that Point is and Tampa is not nearly as strong without him. He’s our Bergeron and he’s not going anywhere.

Now if you want a situation that’s likely to drag on, that would be Marner and the Leafs. Even from the perspective of an impartial observer I would think you would select the situation that has already looked at least somewhat antagonistic over the one where all available evidence points to the player ignoring other offers and being willing to work with his team.
That team would still make the playoffs, and the season is a marathon so making up ground is not a huge deal.

I would agree that the Marner situation seems more likely to go on, just from the tone of things.

As mentioned, I could see a bridge deal for Point, but if I'm reading this right, Kucherov was a 60 point player when he signed for 4.7 x 3, and that's with a smaller cap. Bridging point, as a 90 point player, who is your team's Bergeron? Lots more than that.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
That team would still make the playoffs, and the season is a marathon so making up ground is not a huge deal.

I would agree that the Marner situation seems more likely to go on, just from the tone of things.

As mentioned, I could see a bridge deal for Point, but if I'm reading this right, Kucherov was a 60 point player when he signed for 4.7 x 3, and that's with a smaller cap. Bridging point, as a 90 point player, who is your team's Bergeron? Lots more than that.
Kucherov had back-to-back mid 60s point seasons. Point has one 90-point season with a lot of production coming on the PP, which varies year to year more so than EV production. His SH% was also much too high to be sustainable. I would think there is a strong case for Point to follow Kucherov's footsteps and sign a 3-year deal in the 6.5 to 7 million range. Then, if he does continue to be a PPG+ player, cash in on his next contract big time.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't see Point taking a bridge. I think it's gonna be an 8x8 and call it a day. Eventually someone was going to go against the trend of the bridge and I think it'll be Point.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't see Point taking a bridge. I think it's gonna be an 8x8 and call it a day. Eventually someone was going to go against the trend of the bridge and I think it'll be Point.

Why would he only take 8 million? That sounds like a bridge to me.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why would he only take 8 million? That sounds like a bridge to me.

Thats all TB has right now. 8.4 to be more precise. I dont think it will be 8 years but it will likely be around 8 for the AVV. I think he takes a bridge and then gets paid very well on his next deal. Just a matter of when he signs for me. I do think there is hesitation on his part to sign a deal like that. Most players around his level are asking for around 9-11 AVV. So for him to sign for around 8 now sends a curveball to those asks. I wouldnt be surprised if agents are asking him to hold off on signing his deal so others can get their 9-11. We dont think there will be a holdout as it has been said before that he wants to be here and doesnt plan on missing anything. I think it gets done just before camp starts, despite these other deals not done yet.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Salary bridge if you will. He will still be in his prime for the next contract I suppose.
Say what you will about his production, he was still riding shotgun with Kucherov on his prolific season. If he's skipping the lower cost bridge in favor of term, I don't think he can justify getting Kucherov money.

Now I don't believe he's a product of Kucherov at all, but that's how the team will sell it.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
He could be looking at Kucherov and realizing his big payday will come after the bridge. It worked out better for Kucherov financially.

It worked out better for Kucherov because he had a career high of 66 points when his ELC expired. Point is in a bit of a different situation.

Also, didn't Kucherov publicly complain that his bridge deal was a terrible decision?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
It worked out better for Kucherov because he had a career high of 66 points when his ELC expired. Point is in a bit of a different situation.

Also, didn't Kucherov publicly complain that his bridge deal was a terrible decision?
I remember reading about Kucherov saying he regretted signing the bridge but not that it was a terrible decision.
Maybe he would have made more money if he signed a deal similar to Gaudreau's back in 2016/17, which was for 6 years for a total of 40.5 million. Then in three years, when he's 29, he might sign another big one for more than 9.5 million. But Kucherov will have earned 90.3 million from his last and current contracts so how much more could he have earned and is that difference that critical?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00