LeBrun: Lightning and Point haven’t had much discussion [Mod warning in OP]

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I find it very hard believe there hasnt been much discussion. Not a chance that is true.

I could almost guarentee every team with unsigned RFAs have constantly been in talks with their agents.

Reactions: Jakey53

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I don't know why this is constantly written about as if it's some great paradigm shift.

Only 13 players who signed their second contracts under the salary cap (2005-06 and forward) have achieved a 1.0 point per game season (minimum 41 games) or better prior to signing that contract. 9 (69%) of those contracts were 5 years or less. 8 of which were exactly 5 years.

5 players fitting the same criteria are RFAs this summer. The last time there were this many elite RFAs at the same time was... never. The next closest was 2008 with 3 (Crosby, Ovi, Getzlaf).

There's no "overhaul" going on. There's just a lot of very good players trying to sign contracts this summer. And this very simple analysis isn't even including some other extremely good players who fall just short of the mark.

Edit: Removed Hall from the count, his 7 year deal was signed in the summer of 2012, before he had his point per game season.
Insightful and appreciated, but you took the time to count the players and to write as much as you have, why not name the players you've numbered for the sake of context?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I find it very hard believe there hasnt been much discussion. Not a chance that is true.

I could almost guarentee every team with unsigned RFAs have constantly been in talks with their agents.

I think it could easily be true, and probably is. I just don't think it's a sign that negotiations are going poorly. One side or the other is gambling that waiting is going to help them (probably Point's side, waiting to see if other RFAs get term that walks them to the door of UFA).

Point was spotted at the practice facility recently, talking with Jon Cooper. I don't think the negotiations have soured. It's just a waiting game, for whatever reason.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Draisaitl, Eichel...

Not comparable, 8-year contracts. Also both very clearly and heavily influenced by the deal McDavid signed. (Draisaitl taking the stance that "OK, I'm worth less than McDavid, but only so much less" and Eichel landing solidly in between the 2.)

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
I'm not the least bit worried. Kucherov didn't sign his bridge deal until October. And it was a filthy steal.
This is where BriseBois needs to call up Bergevin and ask for an offer sheet. :sarcasm:
Bergevin already tried. Point needs to sign an offer sheet for it to actually materialize.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If his hip isn't back to 100% yet, I definitely wouldn't mind him sitting out a few weeks. No use rushing him back.

I wouldn't mind him sitting out games. But I want him in camp. It takes guys longer than ever to catch up after missing camp. We saw it with Kucherov a few years back. He didn't really "become Kucherov" until somewhere around December that year.

I won't really worry about this until camp opens and he's not there. I mean, I'd rather him sign two minutes from now... but you know...

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I wouldn't mind him sitting out games. But I want him in camp. It takes guys longer than ever to catch up after missing camp. We saw it with Kucherov a few years back. He didn't really "become Kucherov" until somewhere around December that year.

I won't really worry about this until camp opens and he's not there. I mean, I'd rather him sign two minutes from now... but you know...
Honestly, I see myself caring about this regular season less than ever before. I'm going to kick back and enjoy it, but if Point misses 20 games + camp to be 100% for the playoffs, I'm good with it. It'll take him a bit to catch up, sure, but I don't see us in a position where we need the extra points.

The important thing is that he re-signs at some point.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I think it could easily be true, and probably is. I just don't think it's a sign that negotiations are going poorly. One side or the other is gambling that waiting is going to help them (probably Point's side, waiting to see if other RFAs get term that walks them to the door of UFA).

Point was spotted at the practice facility recently, talking with Jon Cooper. I don't think the negotiations have soured. It's just a waiting game, for whatever reason.

This. I don't think LeBrun has nearly the same level of insider information that he used to have when Yzerman was here. Sounds like pure speculation since he admitted that he couldn't get any quotes/info from JBB or Point or Point's agent.

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
Any one compared the salary towes, kane, etc got for their 5 years and adjust it for Marner, Tk, Ran, etc todays' contracts ?
What would it looks like for each ?

edit:

Kane took 6.3M x 5, which is 10.61% of the cap space at the time,
Marner should take 8'954M x 5 for the same cap space %.

-------------------------------------------
Matthews ****ed up this whole ELC 5 years thing big time if I look at the cap hit % at the time of Toews, Kane, etc.

IMO at this state MArner should have what Matthews took, same as Toews and Kane

Toews and Kane had already made a WCF appearance when they signed their contracts as well. Important if you think proving yourself in the playoffs should equate to better dollars on your contract

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
There is a lot of negativity about RFA’s signing 5 year deals: ‘walking him to UFA’. First of all, 5 years is a long time to have a player locked up. Toews and Kane won 2 cups and made a WCF in that window.

As well, if you have any confidence in your organizations ability to attract/retain players you should probably be pretty confident that he would resign before testing UFA.

As for the raise the player would get as an impending UFA, you have 5 years to prepare your cap structure for it. Don’t F-up.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Point’s a leader, his agent has publicly said that he is willing to be flexible on term to suit the team’s needs, and he’s already turned down an offer sheet from Montreal. Each side is trying to get the best deal they can but neither wants the relationship to sour and a deal will ultimately get done before the season starts.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't doubt those that know a little more about the situation, that Point and Tampa will sign before the season starts. But, just looking coldly at the situation, as an impartial observer with no dog in this fight, wouldn't this situation be the most likely to drag on?

Tampa wants things to be nice, sure, but what team doesn't? They are a contender with huge cap hits. Every bit they can save helps their cup chances for years to come. Most of all, with such a dominating regular season last year, they could more easily to afford missing him than other teams and their RFAs, since those teams are in a much more intense fight for the playoffs and playoff positioning.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I don't doubt those that know a little more about the situation, that Point and Tampa will sign before the season starts. But, just looking coldly at the situation, as an impartial observer with no dog in this fight, wouldn't this situation be the most likely to drag on?

Tampa wants things to be nice, sure, but what team doesn't? They are a contender with huge cap hits. Every bit they can save helps their cup chances for years to come. Most of all, with such a dominating regular season last year, they could more easily to afford missing him than other teams and their RFAs, since those teams are in a much more intense fight for the playoffs and playoff positioning.

It’s not going to drag on because neither side wants it to. Point’s letting his agent negotiate the best deal he can but he’s simply not the type to hold out, and from Tampa’s perspective you greatly underestimate Point’s importance to the team - he’s a big part of why they had such a dominant regular season. Could they in his absence move Johnson back to center, or promote Cirelli to the top six, and still be serious contenders? Sure they could, but as good as both players are neither is the two-way force that Point is and Tampa is not nearly as strong without him. He’s our Bergeron and he’s not going anywhere.

Now if you want a situation that’s likely to drag on, that would be Marner and the Leafs. Even from the perspective of an impartial observer I would think you would select the situation that has already looked at least somewhat antagonistic over the one where all available evidence points to the player ignoring other offers and being willing to work with his team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad