LeBrun: Lightning and Point haven’t had much discussion [Mod warning in OP]

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Eichel was different, he was the captain and the 10M guy once they drafted him and made him the new GM and coach
i think the biggest difference with eichel would be buffalo has to pay 9 mill to keep skinner . until they are good again they will be paying a premium

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wonder if GMs are pressuring each other not to cave on these 5 year terms. The TV GMs seem pretty opposed.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Lebrun always seems to know more about us than he gives up. I've always suspected it was because he and Yzerman were buds. So I don't know what that means for now. He had a lot of insight into the MSL situation... but only after the fact, when he revealed things Yzerman told him ("I'm never doing this again," in a text, about the Olympics).

This could just be him spit-balling, but I really doubt it. He probably knows something, even if it's not much, that leads him to believe we haven't talked much to Point just yet.

Both sides might be in a waiting game. Point might be waiting for the RFA dam to break. We might be waiting for camp to open, because I don't think anybody believes Point wants to miss camp. We've seen what that does to a player's season.

You're not the first person who I've seen suggest that LeBrun's source was Yzerman. If he starts dropping a lot of Detroit rumors now, we'll know for sure.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
”Both Tampa GM Julien BriseBois and Point’s agent Gerry Johansson declined to comment on how talks were going. My sense, quite frankly, is that there haven’t been that many discussions this summer between the sides. ”

So since they decline to comment he basically just has a feeling there have been no negotiations? I’m beginning to think I am working in the wrong industry.

Yea weird comment to make. TB has always been tight lipped and if there was no comment, I dont see how you can gather anything based off of no comment.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yea weird comment to make. TB has always been tight lipped and if there was no comment, I dont see how you can gather anything based off of no comment.
doesnt that agent talk tho ? the turning down / not considering an os from montreal was from him wasnt it

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You're not the first person who I've seen suggest that LeBrun's source was Yzerman. If he starts dropping a lot of Detroit rumors now, we'll know for sure.

I've just always suspected they're friends outside of hockey, based on a few, but pretty consistent, comments by Lebrun. I think Yzerman trusted Lebrun to keep things off the record, if requested, thus, we learned about a lot of our high drama situations after the fact, but sometimes with details that must have been obtained in the moment. (Like Yzerman's text to Lebrun.)

Anyway, I don't know if Lebrun still has sources in TB. I just know that when insiders talk about TB, the only time I sit up and listen is when it's Lebrun. The rest of them know about as much as we do, including McKenzie. But McKenzie still gets to keep his Awesome Card because he straight up admits he never gets anything out of Tampa.

Dreger, the Sportsnet guys, even Friedman... they really never seem to know anything, even when they're reporting on us. Lebrun though, whenever he goes out on a limb, he seems to at least get it part right.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
LeBrun isn't one to speculate much, however in this case it was a long article about the status of each of the top unsigned RFAs. Most of the GMs and agents gave LeBrun several comments to work off of but Tampa and Point gave none (which isn't unusual at all for Tampa negotiations). So in this case, I really think LeBrun is just speculating here, which he even alludes to, because he's got nothing else to work with and didn't want to omit Point from the article.

That said, he's probably right. I don't think many of these RFAs have had much discussion at this point because the GMs are slow playing these negotiations until the training camp pressure kicks in.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lebrun has always been one of few insiders who gets TB things right. If he thinks this is the case, I'd rather bet on it than against it.

Lebrun did break the Callahan news. So he likely knows someone in that organization.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think this might drag out for awhile. Players are going to be looking at Matthews who got his money and the term he wanted. Teams are going to be looking at Meier/Aho and saying it’s fine if you want to go strait to UFA, but we need a discount on the money (I know Meier won’t be UFA after this, but his QO will be 10M).

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
He's a 90 point, 40 goal scorer with an obvious year-to-year improvement and a solid defensive game, I don't know why he'd ever settle for a bridge deal.
If the general consensus in the league hadn't changed, I would disagree. But alas, here we are. Money started getting out of hand with Eichel and Draisaitl at the time. Now with Dubas the term has come down, money has gone up. If I was a player, I would want the same structured contract that Matthews got to maximize my earnings over my career. If I'm a GM, I make a voodoo doll of Dubas and stab it everyday with needles.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Comparing this to what's been said about Rantanen and Tkachuk, I'd have to say the Point sounds like the most likely to be holding out to see what Marner gets signed for.

Side note: Even if Tampa wanted to sign him for 10-12M, how would they make the cap space to pull it off?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Is this just a freak offseason in which theres so many stud rfa's in a holding pattern ?

anyone have a short list of who's up next summer besides Barzal/Pulock

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Is this just a freak offseason in which theres so many stud rfa's in a holding pattern ?

2020 NHL Free Agents Tracker

if you sort by cap the better ones will prob be by the top but even then some of the good players didnt make much bonus money so you prob have to scroll either way

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008

I suspect Barzal is the top RFA among the forwards. Chabot will be an interesting one to watch. Here are some other notable ones (I'd say none of them, besides Chabot, are in the same category as Marner, Point, Rantanen, Aho, etc., which is why this summer has been so interesting):

Reinhart
Mantha
Domi
Labanc
Dubois
Keller
D. Strome
Debrincat
Hischier

Reactions: Isles72

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Good! Point misses camp and start to season will hurt Tampa this season.
No, it won't. Missing the season would hurt Tampa. Missing the start of the season won't mean anything.

He'll be signed well before opening night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad