Post-Game Talk: Lightning 5, Oilers 2

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
and how's the team doing thus far in your opinion?
With a godly start to the season for McDavid, and unsustainable scoring from Chiasson and Caggiula they are at least five or six points better than I would have predicted.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
And if the roles were reversed and one of our players boarded two of theirs, everybody would be calling for a suspension for that player.
Really? Everybody on hfoil would be calling for a suspension to an Oiler player? Never seen that happen the whole time I’ve been here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Some people in the hockey world (e.g. Brian Burke--love Burke, by the way) argue that the NHL has the best refs in professional sports. There's no doubt that other sports have their issues with refs, but I would argue that NHL refs are by a significant margin the worst refs in sports, due mainly to the fact that their incompetence leads to actual injuries. I won't try to make this thread about something it's not, but I'll say that all you need to know about the creepy psyche and motivation of refs can be learned in Kerry Fraser's past segments on Jason Gregor's show.
I’d love some examples if you can give some. I never listen to Gregor’s show. I have no trouble agreeing with your assessment on NHL referees. It’s disgusting that they put the instigator rule in, told the players they were going to police the game and then failed to follow through on that promise.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I dunno. Team seems tighter than last year. More into the games. Maybe that trip to Europe and the long road trip through some tough teams was a good thing.

It's Klefbom being healthy, they are half way decent any time he is, even in 15-16.

Unfortunately the goal here shouldn't be just to be a middle of the pack team.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Really? Everybody on hfoil would be calling for a suspension to an Oiler player? Never seen that happen the whole time I’ve been here.

You know what I meant. Everyone else on this forum (HFOil isn’t the only area here) and all the talking heads.

I didn’t think I had to spell it out but here we are.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

When Sid quoted Mclellan’s comments about the incident after the game it kind of sounded like he was saying Mclellan sent Lucic after Johnson. After watching Mclellan coach this team for three years I have a hard time believing he would but would Gulutzan have done that?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Agree 100%

The NHL is full of shit. More evidence that their "concerns" over concussions is lip service. They hand out a suspension here and there for bad hits, but turn a blind eye a lot of the time (the ref, in this case, is watching Joseph throw this hit and shrugs it off FFS).

Cheap shot artists get away with slewfooting all to often and we have a harmless (as Tim & Sid agree) "stop being a reckless shit" play and we get a fine. The league is buying too much into this softness bullshit and neutering the game. If I wanted to watch basketball, I'd watch basketball. It too, used to allow some actual physicality.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
When Sid quoted Mclellan’s comments about the incident after the game it kind of sounded like he was saying Mclellan sent Lucic after Johnson. After watching Mclellan coach this team for three years I have a hard time believing he would but would Gulutzan have done that?

I could see Gulutzan having done it from how emotional he has gotten in the past (IE when coaching the Flames). Good on him, if so. A good "Yang" to McLellan's "Yin" in the quite literal sense :laugh:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

IMO Looch took it upon himself. We all know that he is fighting it scoring wise but he is still easily our toughest and strongest player that strikes fear in all but a handful of NHL heavies and you can bet that all of them have respect for him. This was his way to contribute to the team and let the league know that you don't **** with our players. IMO he was lacking in this department last season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
IMO Looch took it upon himself. We all know that he is fighting it scoring wise but he is still easily our toughest and strongest player that strikes fear in all but a handful of NHL heavies and you can bet that all of them have respect for him. This was his way to contribute to the team and let the league know that you don't **** with our players. IMO he was lacking in this department last season.

Straight up, if anyone thinks Joseph is not going to remember this next game, they’d be wrong. Let’s see how much running around he does then.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Straight up, if anyone thinks Joseph is not going to remember this next game, they’d be wrong. Let’s see how much running around he does then.

And if he does then someone will tune the **** out of him. He was scared ****less, he was laughing on the bench but he most definitely wasn't happy about what happened.

North

Jun 25, 2009
And if he does then someone will tune the **** out of him. He was scared ****less, he was laughing on the bench but he most definitely wasn't happy about what happened.

Only reason he could laugh was because Lucic was gone. If they had just given Lucic the penalties and no misconducts, he would have been shitting himself.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Who is "Sid"? I'm not getting the reference.

Agree with you though, and McLellan has no rep of being that kind of coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00