Post-Game Talk: Lightning 5, Oilers 2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What I liked about this Lucic incident is he got mad on behalf of team mates. last season he was only taking numbers if somebody was trying to ring his bell directly. Both Kass and Lucic were bringing back 16-17 mojo. It made me miss Maroon though but Draisait;'s tough checks were filling some gap there. I keep saying this but what on Earth Khaira. You have to show up in a game like that, you're not enough of a player not to be bringing the circus and ugly. We really need Khaira backing some guys off too. Tampa are one of the few teams that you could easily run and with no repercussion. Its a style they are not comfortable with. Teams should really play Tampa like this all the time. The answer to small talent is to bring the big guns. In the end, you win..

Reactions: Oilhawks

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
IMO Looch took it upon himself. We all know that he is fighting it scoring wise but he is still easily our toughest and strongest player that strikes fear in all but a handful of NHL heavies and you can bet that all of them have respect for him. This was his way to contribute to the team and let the league know that you don't **** with our players. IMO he was lacking in this department last season.
I agree Lucic did it on his own. It looked like he was heading off the ice when he noticed Johnson skate by him and changed his mind. I just thought it was odd that Tim brought up Mclellan’s post game comments. It seemed to me he was suggesting Mclellan sent him out. The guy I watched that clip with thought it provided Lucic a defense for the fine. He figured the NHLPA should get involved because Lucic shouldn’t be fined for doing something if his coach told him to do it. I don’t agree with any of that but was curious if anybody else took the same thing from those comments and agree with it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Who is "Sid"? I'm not getting the reference.

Agree with you though, and McLellan has no rep of being that kind of coach.
Watch the clip that Jepprey posted. It was Tim, not Sid, that seemed to suggest Mclellan sent Lucic out after Johnson. Tim is the bald guy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Tim and Sid (sportsnet).

Holy crap, thanks. People watch this stuff? I can't stand sports commentary programs. I couldn't name either of these guys or pick them out of a police lineup.

That said I know what Evanka Osmak looks like. Anybody other talking head on the channel I don't even see.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What I liked about this Lucic incident is he got mad on behalf of team mates. last season he was only taking numbers if somebody was trying to ring his bell directly. Both Kass and Lucic were bringing back 16-17 mojo. It made me miss Maroon though but Draisait;'s tough checks were filling some gap there. I keep saying this but what on Earth Khaira. You have to show up in a game like that, you're not enough of a player not to be bringing the circus and ugly. We really need Khaira backing some guys off too. Tampa are one of the few teams that you could easily run and with no repercussion. Its a style they are not comfortable with. Teams should really play Tampa like this all the time. The answer to small talent is to bring the big guns. In the end, you win..

You can if you have the benefit of the doubt from the refs and/or a good PK. The Oilers clearly don't have the former and the latter is still a work in progress. A team like Washington that has the refs buying into their "veteran savvy" can afford to do it because they won't get called for their truculence. The Oilers...not so much.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Holy crap, thanks. People watch this stuff? I couldn't name either of these guys or pick them out of a police lineup.

That said I know what Evanka Osmak looks like. Anybody other talking head on the channel I don't even see.

She's married...and so are you. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Watch the clip that Jepprey posted. It was Tim, not Sid, that seemed to suggest Mclellan sent Lucic out after Johnson. Tim is the bald guy.

Thanks. tbh I'm not going to watch and I don't care what sports talking heads think about anything. Usually I find such programs sophomoric, unfunny, and uninteresting. I only asked because the only "Sid" to me, in the hockey world is Crosby. If he commented I would want to know about it. That's the only reason I asked.

Reactions: fuswald

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Thanks. tbh I'm not going to watch and I don't care what sports talking heads think about anything. Usually I find such programs sophomoric, unfunny, and uninteresting. I only asked because the only "Sid" to me, in the hockey world is Crosby. If he commented I would want to know about it. That's the only reason I asked.

I don't usually like them, but Tim had a good point.

Basically he said the league can't have their cake and eat it too. If they want to fine Lucic, the refs have to call a penalty on the hit from behind. Players want accountability. If you don't make that call, what are the Oilers supposed to do?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Basically he said the league can't have their cake and eat it too. If they want to fine Lucic, the refs have to call a penalty on the hit from behind. Players want accountability. If you don't make that call, what are the Oilers supposed to do?
That's completely fair.

I'll reaffirm this. I am 100% in support of Lucic sticking up for the team. I just don't like how he did it.

Refs need to start calling games fairly or shit like this will happen more often and players (or refs) will continue getting hurt.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Now you made me watch it. That's 7mins of Snet programming without Evanka that I'm never getting back..;)

Yeah, its interesting commentary, and agree with it but I also have long felt the NHL LIKES contrived drama, they like playing favorites, and that Shanaban and Parros etc used their positions to be selective trolls. These are basically asshat players that bring their douchebaggery to a new position. Can't you just imagine Parros laughing about "I fined Milan Lucic" for shit I used to do? Its beyond the pale, but its inane that the kinds of people the NHL hires to do this stuff are past goons. Who's watching the henhouse.

The ONLY benefit of hiring a tough guy to mete out jurisprudence NHL style would be to give a little bend here and there in what is a very physical sport. But this doesn't seem to be served.

Finally, the NHL never fixes its officiating wagon officially, and again I think for the first reason I mentioned, that drama and press of any kind is considered good by the NHL.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The thing that gets me about the lucic incident is that as much as Milan scares the living hell out of him... he was restraint as hell and didn't actually DO anything.

$10,000.00 for offending soft ass Americans who really just want to watch baseball or basketball.

10 years ago the boltings don't even get a pp there because the refs call offsetting minors.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Hey, my wife gets to watch Ryan Gosling and Brad Pitt and George Clooney and pay particular interest so my jaw can drop a bit when I See Osmak, or Jennifer Aniston who is more my age than yours...;)

So we're all even and happy.

I'm straight but Ryan Gosling is a dude.

Reactions: TB12

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Khaira definitely has been lacking in the physicality department this season. We need more of it. By my eye his skating has taken a step back as well.

I agree Lucic did it on his own. It looked like he was heading off the ice when he noticed Johnson skate by him and changed his mind. I just thought it was odd that Tim brought up Mclellan’s post game comments. It seemed to me he was suggesting Mclellan sent him out. The guy I watched that clip with thought it provided Lucic a defense for the fine. He figured the NHLPA should get involved because Lucic shouldn’t be fined for doing something if his coach told him to do it. I don’t agree with any of that but was curious if anybody else took the same thing from those comments and agree with it.

He shouldn't have been fined regardless IMO.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Hey, my wife gets to watch Ryan Gosling and Brad Pitt and George Clooney and pay particular interest so my jaw can drop a bit when I See Osmak, or Jennifer Aniston who is more my age than yours...;)

So we're all even and happy.

I thought it would be more along the lines of Betty White as your generation's hottie of note. :)

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Khaira heavily cross-checked Joseph right after the hit from behind; he looked as if he wanted to fight somebody and was challenging a few Tampa players. He also started hitting harder on his subsequent shifts

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
You ask who the people are every time just so you can chime in that you don’t like them and don’t listen to them. You hate every writer, commentator, every Athletic article, every blogger, every tv personality, etc.
Sorry that Howie Meeker and Red Fisher aren’t around anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad