Post-Game Talk: Lightning 5, Oilers 2

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It wasn't dangerous at all though...not like the cross checks into the boards that Joseph was responsible for.

In what universe is ramming a guy's head into the stanchion from behind not considered a dangerous play?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What the **** are you talking about?

You know what? I think got we got our wires crossed. I thought you were talking about the hit on Russell. because the post I was responding to earlier was talking about that hit, not Lucic's response.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It was a dangerous and unnecessary hit that should have been 5 and a game.

Agree to disagree. If you watch it Joseph put essentially no force into the hit. He looked like he just wanted to shoulder Russel of the puck. It should have been 2, maybe 5.... but that is a stretch IMO.

It was just not that dangerous of a play. But whatever, it looked bad so Lucic responded, good on him. The play was just meh as far as I am concerned though.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Agree to disagree. If you watch it Joseph put essentially no force into the hit. He looked like he just wanted to shoulder Russel of the puck. It should have been 2, maybe 5.... but that is a stretch IMO.

It was just not that dangerous of a play. But whatever, it looked bad so Lucic responded, good on him. The play was just meh as far as I am concerned though.

Puck was gone, it was a guy finishing his check. I agree he didn't drive as hard as he could have, but I think when a guy is clearly vulnerable you pull up as much as you can but he had a bead on 4 all the way.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Puck was gone, it was a guy finishing his check. I agree he didn't drive as hard as he could have, but I think when a guy is clearly vulnerable you pull up as much as you can but he had a bead on 4 all the way.

The puck was just barely gone. Russel made a gutsy play by poking the puck away, but he also put himself in a vulnerable position doing so. Any way, i just think Joseph is trying to get the puck. I just see no bad intent there. But, again, yes it was a penalty.

North

Jun 25, 2009

He boarded Yamamoto too. Lucic saw the refs weren’t going to do anything so he did.

Refs do their jobs and Lucic doesn’t do anything.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
He boarded Yamamoto too. Lucic saw the refs weren’t going to do anything so he did.

Refs do their jobs and Lucic doesn’t do anything.

Agreed... however, if the roles were reversed, we'd be calling for Lucic's head on a platter... I think the right call was made: 4 minutes and a 10-minute misconduct. You can't stalk a player, punch him, and then sit on him (especially when he's nowhere near the puck)... I get it, Lucic eased up.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The issue I have with it in the end and why others compare it to Bertuzzi is you saw how long Lucic stalked him. Lucic wasn't even trying to play hockey there, his entire purpose that shift was to stalk him down and get him. That's what people have issue with.

If Lucic found him during a play, and did all that I think people would have less of an issue. It's the stalking of his prey that makes it look so messed up

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
TBH I've had a big grin on my face when I saw what Looch did. If someone told me 10 years ago this action would lead to a hearing I would have called him a crazy person.
Kinda fits with Torts quotes a few days ago, not enough hatred & retaliation at times, though I really dig the "new" & skilled playing style aswell.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I saw Kassian's crazy eyes come out yesterday... when he nailed that Tampa player then stood around waiting to fight. No one wanted any part of it... We need more of that Kassian.
Yeah Kassian has that " I just got out of an asylum" eyes..

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The issue I have with it in the end and why others compare it to Bertuzzi is you saw how long Lucic stalked him. Lucic wasn't even trying to play hockey there, his entire purpose that shift was to stalk him down and get him. That's what people have issue with.

If Lucic found him during a play, and did all that I think people would have less of an issue. It's the stalking of his prey that makes it look so messed up
Bertuzzi stalked him in a different game
Bertuzzi rammed Moore's head onto the ice

Lucic followed him and tapped him, then body-checked him to the ice, then got up top and yelled in his face
Joseph took his next shift

it's not even close to being similar

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Some people in the hockey world (e.g. Brian Burke--love Burke, by the way) argue that the NHL has the best refs in professional sports. There's no doubt that other sports have their issues with refs, but I would argue that NHL refs are by a significant margin the worst refs in sports, due mainly to the fact that their incompetence leads to actual injuries. I won't try to make this thread about something it's not, but I'll say that all you need to know about the creepy psyche and motivation of refs can be learned in Kerry Fraser's past segments on Jason Gregor's show.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Lucic tried to get his attention and Joseph skated away.

Sure Lucic followed him but everything that happened was in this specific game.

It wasn’t a planned retribution in a different game.

It’s not the same thing at all.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Agreed... however, if the roles were reversed, we'd be calling for Lucic's head on a platter... I think the right call was made: 4 minutes and a 10-minute misconduct. You can't stalk a player, punch him, and then sit on him (especially when he's nowhere near the puck)... I get it, Lucic eased up.

And if the roles were reversed and one of our players boarded two of theirs, everybody would be calling for a suspension for that player.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

The only way you could compare it to Bertuzzi in any way was if Lucic just destroyed a guys spine.

Players follow each other for revenge all the time in this league.

Very few destroy a guy's career with one punch.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Didn't catch the game last night. Is there anywhere I can watch the scrums? The compressed game highlights never show the rough stuff :laugh:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I get it, it should have been a penalty. But, it was not a goon like play
Lets be real. It was exactly a goon like play. He slashed Joesph, then hunted him down in the corner, completely ignoring play of the puck. It was a purposeful act of retaliation well outside the rules of the game that probably does warrant a disciplinary hearing.

I mean I’m happy with the play myself because Joesph deserved it and it shows other teams that despite what they might read in the papers, Lucic is still ready and willing to fill that role for the Oilers. I firmly believe displays like Lucic put on last night do deter some players who might be thinking of running around a bit. Not all, but some. I like having a thug on the team. I just don’t get surprised when his thuggish acts are rightly punished.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad