Post-Game Talk: Lightning 4, Penguins 3 - Goodnight Saigon

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Except for Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang and Dumoulin who’ve been generally great. The D sucks. Riley Sheahan sucks. Bryan Rust sucks. Matt Murray sucks. Sullivan can’t make them smarter or faster, he can’t give them better hands, he can’t force Murray to save at least 90% of the shots. Berate Sullivan for his lines all you want, this isn’t a system problem.

I agree.
Sully/Martin have even changed up the x's and o's and are generally good at recognizing which way the team NEEDS to play but the players will stray from that as well.
They're being really stubborn with WHO plays and WHERE they play atm tho.
They gotta re-think things cuz this obviously ain't workin'.
If you think you're solid on the x's and o's, maybe change up the personel instead?

Bah, well if things just get deeper and deeper into the hole, it likely means all the garbage is gone for the most part(finally) and we may get a high 1st rounder.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Except for Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang and Dumoulin who’ve been generally great. The D sucks. Riley Sheahan sucks. Bryan Rust sucks. Matt Murray sucks. Sullivan can’t make them smarter or faster, he can’t give them better hands, he can’t force Murray to save at least 90% of the shots. Berate Sullivan for his lines all you want, this isn’t a system problem.

No no, you're right.

It'd definitely not coaching when the following are playing mediocre to terribly:

• Cullen
  • Sheahan
  • Rust
  • Maatta
  • Ruhwedel
  • Johnson
  • Wilson
  • Aston-Reese
  • Guentzel (for long stretches)
  • Hagelin - Before he left
  • Brassard - Before his injury
  • Murray
  • Riikola - Has moments where he's good, but then he's scratched.
  • Sprong - 8mins on the 4th line guys, he's had every opportunity obviously.
  • Grant - Good god he sucks
  • Oleksiak - Up and down all season
Total of 15 (16 if you still include Hagelin)

Vs the guys that have played well in:
  • Crosby - For some stretches he was crap
  • Malkin - For some stretches he was crap
  • Letang - Had some bumps in a few games, but mostly solid.
  • DeSmith
  • Kessel - Hotdoggy.
  • Hornqvist - Has had his moments.
  • Dumoulin - Always solid.
Total of 7 players that have played fairly well for the most part.

32% of the players have played well.
68% of the players have played mediocre to bad.

If I give you a store to run and every single employee outside of the already solid ones are doing poorly, there's usually a reason why, the man in charge sucks. In this case, it's the coaching and his staff of nimrods.

You can try all you want, I have made my mind up about Sullivan.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree.
Sully/Martin have even changed up the x's and o's and are generally good at recognizing which way the team NEEDS to play but the players will stray from that as well.
They're being really stubborn with WHO plays and WHERE they play atm tho.
They gotta re-think things cuz this obviously ain't workin'.
If you think you're solid on the x's and o's, maybe change up the personel instead?

Bah, well if things just get deeper and deeper into the hole, it likely means all the garbage is gone for the most part(finally) and we may get a high 1st rounder.

Did you hear what he had to say when a reporter asked about Sprong?

That might be the dumbest shit I have ever heard a so called "Intelligent Coach" say about a player and his opportunities.

He sounded like a stubborn piece of shit.

Reactions: John Titor

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Did you hear what he had to say when a reporter asked about Sprong?

That might be the dumbest **** I have ever heard a so called "Intelligent Coach" say about a player and his opportunities.

He sounded like a stubborn piece of ****.
He sounded like a coach who for whatever reason is pissed at Sprong, feels he gave him a chance, and doesn’t want to be asked about him anymore.

He almost mockingly responded to the reporter by telling him that Sprong HAS been in the lineup for 12 of the 17 games and then moved on from the question.

Reactions: John Titor

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He sounded like a coach who for whatever reason is pissed at Sprong, feels he gave him a chance, and doesn’t want to be asked about him anymore.

He almost mockingly responded to the reporter by telling him that Sprong HAS been in the lineup for 12 of the 17 games and then moved on from the question.
Yeah exclusively on the 4th line, in the bottom 6 that has completely stunk for almost all of the games.

What a shot!

Reactions: EightyOne

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Coulda used Hags on that PK.

I hate blaming Murray, and he was not at fault for prolly 3 at least, but he’s not been the same Muzz we’ve had in prior seasons. Maybe the concussions, maybe his Dad, dunno.

But those 1-2 saves he’s now not making have gotten huge with so much of the rest of the team in a funk.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Most of the team if not all of it looks like they are in disarray. There are far too many issues with far too many players to be just player issues. 90% of a team does not start to suck.

Ignore the fact it's Sully all you want.
I think its Recchi and Martin. Give Sullivan... Therrien and Vigneault and we're back in business.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Most of the team if not all of it looks like they are in disarray. There are far too many issues with far too many players to be just player issues. 90% of a team does not start to suck.

Ignore the fact it's Sully all you want.

Probably some truth to this but what do you expect from the bottom 6 when Brass is out and Sheahan is doing whatever the hell he does? This team is built on centers driving the bus on a line (except when Kessel is on line 3). Right now, our centers suck outside of Sid and Geno.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No no, you're right.

It'd definitely not coaching when the following are playing mediocre to terribly:

• Cullen
  • Sheahan
  • Rust
  • Maatta
  • Ruhwedel
  • Johnson
  • Wilson
  • Aston-Reese
  • Guentzel (for long stretches)
  • Hagelin - Before he left
  • Brassard - Before his injury
  • Murray
  • Riikola - Has moments where he's good, but then he's scratched.
  • Sprong - 8mins on the 4th line guys, he's had every opportunity obviously.
  • Grant - Good god he sucks
  • Oleksiak - Up and down all season
Total of 15 (16 if you still include Hagelin)

Vs the guys that have played well in:
  • Crosby - For some stretches he was crap
  • Malkin - For some stretches he was crap
  • Letang - Had some bumps in a few games, but mostly solid.
  • DeSmith
  • Kessel - Hotdoggy.
  • Hornqvist - Has had his moments.
  • Dumoulin - Always solid.
Total of 7 players that have played fairly well for the most part.

32% of the players have played well.
68% of the players have played mediocre to bad.

If I give you a store to run and every single employee outside of the already solid ones are doing poorly, there's usually a reason why, the man in charge sucks. In this case, it's the coaching and his staff of nimrods.

You can try all you want, I have made my mind up about Sullivan.

What does most of the top list have in common?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Damn. I do my best to avoid the negative post game threads but last night was a bit too much for me.

Sully: what the f***?!
Murray: seems broken, based on his post game interview.
Depth: who?!

I mean, I guess Ruhwedel has been better than I've expected?

Reactions: EightyOne

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

It isn't a system problem. But roster usage has clearly been Sullivan's biggest problem, and it has thrown the whole team into disarray. He seems to be doing everything in his power to get the absolute least out of the pieces he has.

- Rust as Sid's most consistent RW despite it never f***ing working
- only 1 HS between Maatta and JJ all season
- the idiotic Brassard to LW experiment, which moves Guentzel to RW and nullifies our bottom 6
- Guentzel away from Sid
- refusing to give Brassard any skill to work with when he's in his rightful spot at 3C
- the plug parade on the 4th line who "give the team the best chance to win"
- everything about how he's used Sprong, peaking with his absurd podium reaction last night

6a00e54ed967ad88330120a758f167970b-800wi

This is a man who'd rather lose if he can't win in his own stubborn way.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Rust has as many points as Sprong while playing more games AND stapled to Sid's hip most of that time.

Funny how favorites are played

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Coulda used Hags on that PK.

I hate blaming Murray, and he was not at fault for prolly 3 at least, but he’s not been the same Muzz we’ve had in prior seasons. Maybe the concussions, maybe his Dad, dunno.

But those 1-2 saves he’s now not making have gotten huge with so much of the rest of the team in a funk.

DeSmith has looked fantastic the his last few starts, yet Sully goes with Murray.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Desmith has a 938 save percentage this year. 928 save percentage for his career.

Murray had a 908 save percentage last year, 886 save percentage(that was before tonight that will be lower) this year.

How do you explain the gigantic differences in the goalies stats?

They both play in front of the same team.

I can actually explain the differences, as they have to do with the rates/distribution of HD, MD and LD shots against. Murray's 5on5 HD shots/60 is 44% higher than DeSmith's (10.19 vs 7.09), while DeSmith has a 18% and 10% higher MD & LD 5on5 shots/60. Their overall 5on5 GAA are 3.13 for Murray and 2.05 for DeSmith, but if you swapped the shot distribution and kept the same sv% for each HD, MD and LD category, you'd have Murray at 2.51 and DeSmith at 2.58.

Murray has a LDsv% of 0.99, so it's not as if he's giving up many bad goals at 5on5. However, he's not making a bunch of hard saves either, or at least not at the rate one would hope/expect. Make no mistake though, Murray and DeSmith do not see the same shot quality at 5on5... or 5on3 :(

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
didnt watch last night. so we lost because of our PK after trading our best penalty killer? wtf :(

phaeded

Jan 10, 2012
I agree 100% with the spittin chiclets guys from their podcast yesterday. We probably have the worst fan base in sports or at least one of the worst. The pirates are probably the only team in this city that deserves the shit talking it gets.

People callings for Sully’s head or Tomlins head 24/7 when things aren’t going great. Yes I realize I’m talking about football as well, but respectively these guys both have great records and one little funk and the world is over. 2 cups, and another playoff run last year. Wtf is everyone so upset about Jesus Christ. People don’t seem to understand what we have here and take it for granted, shit gets old.

Flame suit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad