Post-Game Talk: Lightning 4, Penguins 3 - Goodnight Saigon

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Is this honestly surprising with Sprong not scoring a goal, Brassard being hurt, and Rust’s performance this year?

Honestly, yes, a little surprising. From the roster to start the year I wouldn't have expected such utter failure. That is crazy that half the forwards haven't done shit in ten games. Not even like getting a goal on accident or something.

I bet we could signed him for less if he and Sully didn have problems. He seemed to like it here.

We need a player LIKE Cole was 3 years ago. We don't need Cole now.

Reactions: Peat

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I still can't believe they're paying Sheahan $2 million for the performance he's giving out here. What in god's name happened to him? He was so solid last year.

I could stomach it, but not when the team is against the Cap. They need to trim fat badly if they even want to make moves.

Or just trim the fat in principle, scuttle the year, draft higher and try to rebuild something over the summer.

Reactions: Badfish87

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
No, but there was the Blackhawks game where we scored a whopping 1 goal to their 10. And the time where TBL beat us 7-1. So did the Jets. Got shut out by the Canes while they put up a 4 spot. A quarter of our games went to OT or the SO. Last season wasn't that great, really.

Yeah I was playing with him. He was saying he remembered clearly last season all the 7-0 losses. I wasn’t clear with being a smart ass though :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I could stomach it, but not when the team is against the Cap. They need to trim fat badly if they even want to make moves.

Or just trim the fat in principle, scuttle the year, draft higher and try to rebuild something over the summer.

Issue with that is it means Rutherford has to admit he read last year wrong.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I still can't believe they're paying Sheahan $2 million for the performance he's giving out here. What in god's name happened to him? He was so solid last year.

Yea, him and Rust are THE biggest disapointments with Murray.
Everything else was/is pretty predictable, especially after Schultz, then Brass went down.
My list would go Sullivan, Murray, Sheahan, Rust, JR.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
A lot of people are ripping him but I thought Rust had a good game. He was skating hard, battling and getting his nose dirty. Obviously he needs to produce, but at least he has a pulse now.

Reactions: Badfish87

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Best case scenario; doesn't a herniated disc take at least a few weeks to get back to normal?

Where's @TTEoT when you need him?

I don’t think there’s an exact timeline...it depends on severity I think, plus there’s a difference between healing, treating the symptoms so that they subside etc...I do know that if symptoms don’t get better within months, then you have surgery like Letang did...I’m sure if Sid was skating, the pain couldn’t have been too debilitating

Reactions: EightyOne

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Issue with that is it means Rutherford has to admit he read last year wrong.
Also that the 2 big boys arent going to accept not making the playoffs this year. People are forgetting about that.

If Sullivan and JR don' right the ship, who knows what kind of team we're looking at next season?

These 2 have had total regime changes for much less.

Not making the playoffs would be a kick in the throat for 87/71. They're too proud to accept something like that.

Reactions: Trade

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Desmith has a 938 save percentage this year. 928 save percentage for his career.

Murray had a 908 save percentage last year, 886 save percentage(that was before tonight that will be lower) this year.

How do you explain the gigantic differences in the goalies stats? They both play in front of the same team. /QUOTE]

Simple. Sample size. Or, as a statistician would say, "n"...

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Read between the lines. Coach is going with guys that played like he did.
No he played the center in our system with the most NHL experience. You can say that's an issue, but with Sid and brass out that's who Grant is.

Just because byslma did that doesn't mean all do

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I bet we could signed him for less if he and Sully didn have problems. He seemed to like it here.
I think Cole is largely underrated here. I thought he was a solid reliable defender for us. Not flashy, but got the job done. And my issue with his departure was the REASON for which we traded him. Because the coach didn't like him blabbing to the media. If he's not buying in to the scheme or if he's a liability on the ice, sure, move him if need be. But he was traded because Sully didn't like him on a personal level. And that is petty, unprofessional and adolescent reasoning for that decision! Particularly with how he and Oleksiak were playing as well as how he played in each of the previous playoff runs here.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Read between the lines. Coach is going with guys that played like he did.
I don't want to get too far ahead of things but Sully in regards to his personnel decisions might be surpassing coach disco in futility.

Again, with some of these absurd decisions he's making it's almost as if he's trying to find the most flawed line up available to him. Is Hughes that good?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No the players under Malkin’s line definitely suck. Team is elite in the first two lines and first D pairing, everything below is rotten butt. Im not saying coaching is great but there just is no way Sullivan is coaching players to 9 points in 82 game paces.
Most of the team if not all of it looks like they are in disarray. There are far too many issues with far too many players to be just player issues. 90% of a team does not start to suck.

Ignore the fact it's Sully all you want.

Reactions: Pens1566 and Burn

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The biggest problems are 3 to 4-fold:

-the D without Schultz and not seeing what Riiko can really do can barely get the puck out/to these F's outside of 58 and 8
-the F's without Brass can't consistently secondary score for the life of them
-Sullivan and now JR's inability to infuse(trust in) younger legs(alot of the good ones in the pre-season haven't even sniffed NHL ice/are still in WB)
-the constant going back to Murr who clearly shouldn't be any where near an NHL net atm

Alot if not all of them can be switched up without making phone calls to other organizations.
Just waking up tomorrow and doing it is all it takes.
Schultz, Sid, Brass being out you can't help but you CAN help the other stuff.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens fill figure this out, start playing better by early December. Sully won't be fired. We will end up #3 or #4 in the Metro and if we are healthy, will have a decent shot in the playoffs. Y'all have short memories if you want to fire the coach and trade half the team.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Pens fill figure this out, start playing better by early December. Sully won't be fired. We will end up #3 or #4 in the Metro and if we are healthy, will have a decent shot in the playoffs. Y'all have short memories if you want to fire the coach and trade half the team.

They'd better go on a good run then, statistically most playoff teams are decided in November.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Most of the team if not all of it looks like they are in disarray. There are far too many issues with far too many players to be just player issues. 90% of a team does not start to suck.

Ignore the fact it's Sully all you want.

Except for Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang and Dumoulin who’ve been generally great. The D sucks. Riley Sheahan sucks. Bryan Rust sucks. Matt Murray sucks. Sullivan can’t make them smarter or faster, he can’t give them better hands, he can’t force Murray to save at least 90% of the shots. Berate Sullivan for his lines all you want, this isn’t a system problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad