Post-Game Talk: Lightning 1 @ Panthers 5 - 5/8 - v 4.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Exactly. The fact that a player of Gusev's skill and accomplishments is so game to win that he'll settle for time on our 4th line is monumental. And Q would rather a replacement-level AHLer (if that).
As @Howboutthempanthers pointed out earlier in the thread, Gusev makes a lot of risky decisions with the puck. While I'm not the biggest Lomberg fan (he's improved as the season has progressed though), I'd understand why Q would make that decision.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Finally game day, it seems like more than 5 days since they last played.

5 pages of GTD before the puck is dropped? I can recall full games that had 5 pages!

Hoping the team comes out ready. Previous years, including last year, the team has issues with shaking off the rust after a layoff like this. They need to get on Vasilevskiy early and not let up the pressure.

IMO, home ice is crucial. Not only for the last change but for the psychological reasons. Finishing ahead of Tampa will let the Panthers know they are the better team this season and let them play with confidence.

Huge 2 points tonight.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
As @Howboutthempanthers pointed out earlier in the thread, Gusev makes a lot of risky decisions with the puck. While I'm not the biggest Lomberg fan (he's improved as the season has progressed though), I'd understand why Q would make that decision.

In the offseason past, I admittedly didn't know much about either Lomberg or Hinostoza. I really thought that either or both could have easily been replaced, for an assumed L 4 assignment, by "in-house" ascending players, either in or returning to the system.

Specifically, at that time I was thinking either Mamin or Lammikko, or both; would work and also save some $ against the CAP. Lammer's return, among other things, obviously made one of those two expendable.

As this season has unfolded, performance, not necessarily gauged by the stats; lead to growing ice time for Lomberg and the moving of Hinostroza. Similar to Marchment, it seems that in Q's eyes their contribution to the team's play goes beyond goals and assists, but can be easily be measured in effort and attitude.

Lomberg has grown on me with his effort and tenacity, and I for one have no problem having him on the ice as the Playoffs begin. Hopefully, he will prove to give the Lightning D-men something else to think about on the forecheck.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I think the rest between games will do some good. That includes the 5 days they just had off and the rest before the playoffs. I think multiple players were playing a bit tired.
I think the kind of game that Q wants them to play will take skating. They're going to have to skate to be effective in the system Q wants to run. They're going to have to be fresh to do that in the playoffs, and to try to go deep.

Reactions: RogerRoger

AlphaPred

May 2, 2021
Has this scenario ever happened before? Multiple games against a team before a playoff series? There will definitely be fireworks starting.

Reactions: Vilam

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Why are we breaking up Denisenko Barkov Duclair if Verhaeghe isn't playing? Marchment again?

Shot in the dark here, but maybe he's trying to figure out if he wants to keep Marchment on that Verhaeghe/Barkov line or if it's gonna be Duclair there.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
That shouldn't even be a question lmao.

Marchment can be seen on the electrical aisle at home depot :laugh:

Actually don't agree there. Marchment was extremely solid on the first line with Verhaeghe and Barkov. He goes hard for the puck in the boards and he throws the body with abandon. He didn't drag those two guys down, either.

Meanwhile, I think Duclair could help jump-start one of the other lines by helping them open things up.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Actually don't agree there. Marchment was extremely solid on the first line with Verhaeghe and Barkov. He goes hard for the puck in the boards and he throws the body with abandon. He didn't drag those two guys down, either.

Meanwhile, I think Duclair could help jump-start one of the other lines by helping them open things up.

Neither Duclair or Verhaeghe need to play 3rd line.

No reason to roll out a Marchment against Stamkos Point Kucherov when you can match with high skilled, high speed players just the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad