Post-Game Talk: Lightning 1 @ Panthers 5 - 5/8 - v 4.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Given the choice, I'd take Lomberg over Marchment on the 4th line personally. He is significantly faster and brings more energy. Hit's just as well, just with less stick skills. But lets face it, if they are icing Lomberg Acciari Marchment, it's for the other things not involving scoring. :dunno:

I still like what Acciari brings, but he has definitely come back to Earth after his 20 goal season.

He has 4 this year....3 came from one game

He's been injured a lot and not been given the same kind of opportunities, but yeah.

Reactions: harv33173

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Agreed. I prefer Gusev to Lomberg, but in the grander scheme, I dont give a shit. So long as Barky, Huby, Sam and Weegs stay healthy, I like Florida's chances against anyone.

Say whatever you'd like about Lomberg, but I gauarantee you that Lomberg is the type of player the top six forwards HATE to play against, because they're not expected to chip in any offense at all, so they are all in on the forecheck, and taking the body, and making life a living hell for whatever line they're matched up against....and then they actually score one....ohhhhh, crap, now they are the x-factor that you were not expecting, or game-planning for, at all.

You need players like Lomberg. Yes, I wish he were a tad bit bigger, but he's your classic pest. He KNOWS he not there to score(Gusev does not), and he KNOWS he's on the 4th line for a reason. To me, those players, are some of the most dangerous guys you can see in the playoffs. The Browers, the Maroons, the McCartys and Drapers, those guys may not stir the drink, but you better believe they provide the kick.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
Say whatever you'd like about Lomberg, but I gauarantee you that Lomberg is the type of player the top six forwards HATE to play against, because they're not expected to chip in any offense at all, so they are all in on the forecheck, and taking the body, and making life a living hell for whatever line they're matched up against....and then they actually score one....ohhhhh, crap, now they are the x-factor that you were not expecting, or game-planning for, at all.

You need players like Lomberg. Yes, I wish he were a tad bit bigger, but he's your classic pest. He KNOWS he not there to score(Gusev does not), and he KNOWS he's on the 4th line for a reason. To me, those players, are some of the most dangerous guys you can see in the playoffs. The Browers, the Maroons, the McCartys and Drapers, those guys may not stir the drink, but you better believe they provide the kick.

Meh. Ive said my piece. Besides, those 4 examples as "Lomberg equivalents" are terrible. All 4 of those guys were credible scorers at some point between major junior and retirement. Lomberg has not a single eye-popping season on his resume, minus a single, 21-game glitch last season in the AHL, and he was still below a point per game.

I think he is a good dude and his teammates love him, but i think Florida has (several) better options. And your definition of "4th line" is antiquated. Stockpiling your 4th line with plugs like Cam Stewart and Alex Hicks is no longer a recipe for success. Tampa is the defending champs. Tampa ices 12 skilled forwards. Take a hint.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Is the first round going on while Van-Cgy are playing or are playoffs delayed so those 2 teams can play a couple meaningless games

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Tampa ices 12 skilled forwards. Take a hint.
I would argue that Goodrow is much closer to Lomberg than Gusev. They also have a $100M roster, so they get to have some more skilled grinders. They aren't less grindy.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I was wrong. Before tonight we still could have gotten first if Carolina lost out and we won out.

They got an OTL tonight so NOW we can't get first place lol

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

Exactly.

Also I found the addition of Sam to bring out a spark in his old former Flame teammate.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Love that we are having this discussion at this time of the year.
One thing that I would be worried about... one of the main things that Zito addressed in the offseason was how "soft" the Panthers were to play against. While I do like that we are bringing skill back into the lineup, I don't want to complete regress and have the team become soft again. One notable area is the defensive play, we have allowed way too many goals recently and without going into stats/analytics, seems to be that we are fishing for pucks in the d-zone as opposed to putting people on their asses.

Need those 2 games against Tampa, hopefully they will be a little gassed tomorrow on the back end of a back-to-back.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
I would argue that Goodrow is much closer to Lomberg than Gusev. They also have a $100M roster, so they get to have some more skilled grinders. They aren't less grindy.

Goodrow is not the dwarf Lomberg is, has scored a Game 7 winner, and has played nearly 50 playoff games. He is much closer to NHL Gusev than Lomberg's best at any level. And don't move the goalposts on Tampa's forward group. All 12 can score, regardless of salary and grinding ability. All 12 of their forwards have to he respected. Lomberg can be ignored.

Reactions: Great8Cam

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Can someone help me figure out when, hypothetically, Ekblad could play if we make it past round 1? Would it be the third round? Stanley Cup final?

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Earlier this year I said, by the end of the year that Lammer would pass Starboy on the depth chart.
I guess everyone was wrong because I don't see either on those five lines. Looks like the rookies ran out of steam :boredom:
It's a bit of a shame that Luostarinen couldn't stick, as he is one of the best penalty killers on the team. Bennett and Duclair have been even better (in smaller samples) and Wennberg is around the same, but his numbers are better than Acciari's and Lomberg's (and a lot better than Barkov's).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad