Post-Game Talk: Lightning 1 @ Panthers 5 - 5/8 - v 4.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
They aren't panicked. They are just coming up with excuses to absolve themselves and their team of any pressure. Oldest trick in the book. Djokovic does this in tennis. Loser athletes and fans do this. It cheapens a potential win by their opponent and they know it. No Lightning fan is acknowledging the impact of Ekblad's loss on Florida. Even without Ekblad, I'll be disappointed if we don't win the Stanley Cup, and that's the attitude every winner has. Play the hand you're dealt. No f***ing excuses.
That's risky and may leave you open to mental exhaustion. To say about winning and losing attitude, pressure, even internal, is not a joke. Actually, people often tend to perform better when they do not overthink "OMG, I need to do it well at all costs". Need to keep balance. And yes, I want Stanley Cup and don't want to use Ekblad's injury as an excuse. I was frustrated when some people start to argue "well, they don't have chances this year because Ekblad out of season", I thought they must find ways to win without him.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
One aspect that isnt discussed much is the healthy internal competition that Viola has created. Every guy knows that they better bring their best shit every shift, or they'll be watching from the press box the next game. No spots are promised. Re-eval after every game. That in mind, I think a lot of these guys want to impress one of the greatest coaches in NHL history. In doing so, guys seem to be playing less fearful of failing (Torts) and more focused on blowing Q away with their reliability, to the point that they can maybe cement a roster spot (Forsling). These guys play loose, and that is what I am most impressed with by Q. I think this will be huge in the playoffs. They'll think less about their potential fear of their opponent and more about getting Q's stamp of approval.

Reactions: ScottyMascotty

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
One aspect that isnt discussed much is the healthy internal competition that Viola has created. Every guy knows that they better bring their best shit every shift, or they'll be watching from the press box the next game. No spots are promised. Re-eval after every game. That in mind, I think a lot of these guys want to impress one of the greatest coaches in NHL history. In doing so, guys seem to be playing less fearful of failing (Torts) and more focused on blowing Q away with their reliability, to the point that they can maybe cement a roster spot (Forsling). These guys play loose, and that is what I am most impressed with by Q. I think this will be huge in the playoffs. They'll think less about their potential fear of their opponent and more about getting Q's stamp of approval.
I had a long winded response to this but HF refreshed and erased it.... Agreed but the big game changer was hiring Bill Zito. He deserves GM of the century.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
I had a long winded response to this but HF refreshed and erased it.... Agreed but the big game changer was hiring Bill Zito. He deserves GM of the century.

That goes without saying. Not acquiring Bennett. Not dumping Matheson. Not snagging Forsling for free. HIRING Zito is the biggest and best move this franchise has made, maybe ever (I've got drafting Barkov over Jones/Drouin as possibly my No. 1).

Reactions: JP Mick

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
That goes without saying. Not acquiring Bennett. Not dumping Matheson. Not snagging Forsling for free. HIRING Zito is the biggest and best move this franchise has made, maybe ever (I've got drafting Barkov over Jones/Drouin as possibly my No. 1).
Getting Gusev, getting Montour... All wins.. Signing Keirsted. Dumping Matheson and bringing in Horny? Huge win.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Getting Gusev, getting Montour... All wins.. Signing Keirsted. Dumping Matheson and bringing in Horny? Huge win.

The fact we fans were willing to give a 1rst round pick to just get rid of Matheson and the deal he pulled off!

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Q seems to find a perfect balance between holding them accountable and letting them take risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad