Post-Game Talk: Lightning 1 @ Panthers 5 - 5/8 - v 4.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Agree. He is still better than Marchment on Hornqvist.

There is nothing wrong with having skill on ALL four lines. The idea of having a 4th line checking role to me is archaic. If you want to roll 4 lines, then roll 4 lines with ability and skill.

What is wrong with a Marchment Acciari Hornqvist line? I see a "tough to play against" line that can pot some goals, bring physicality, bring those intangibles that ARE needed for the playoffs.
Again, I hope they all see time.

This 4th line looks intriguing. Still would like to see Horny to start. And I agree that we are not looking for an exclusive checking line. We got some skill with Wenny and Marchment on those lines, and I am with you, I hoe that Deni will improve these lines even more - soon, but not right now

Reactions: Gentle Man

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Again, I hope they all see time.

This 4th line looks intriguing. Still would like to see Horny to start. And I agree that we are not looking for an exclusive checking line. We got some skill with Wenny and Marchment on those lines, and I am with you, I hoe that Deni will improve these lines even more - soon, but not right now

The 4th line to me looks like all grind and no finish.

I love the speed Lomberg brings but he lacks finishing ability. Acciari is perfect on that line and role. Marchment to me lacks speed, but brings good board battles and decent defensive coverage. Any goals from that line extremely surprising.

Reactions: austropanther

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
It's good that we have too much talent to fill the lines with. Keep some guys like Gusev and Deni fresh as depth options for the playoffs, especially considering we are playing Tampa a possible 9 straight times. Don't want to show them the same lineup each game.

Reactions: harv33173

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
It's good that we have too much talent to fill the lines with. Keep some guys like Gusev and Deni fresh as depth options for the playoffs, especially considering we are playing Tampa a possible 9 straight times. Don't want to show them the same lineup each game.
I dont want to show tampa a lineup with yandle in it.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I've soured on Hornqvist. Prefer Denisenko. Oh well.
Horny will be better with fewer minutes down in the lineup, and turn him loose in front of net on PP. He seems to have slowed down as the games played piled up, even before Zadorov clocked him. Horny will show his worth in the playoffs

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
Not ok with lomberg in over gusev. Icing talentless energy guys means teams don't have to play them honestly. It's like playing a pusher in tennis: great defenders, but never a threat to attack. So any line with Lomberg is effectively on the PK every time they step on the ice, as ignoring Lomberg means the opponent will key in on the other 4 skaters. Tampa is great not just because of the obvious names, but because they ice 12 forwards who can score. I appreciate Lomberg as a regular season energy guy, but playoffs is all about line matching, and he is a very weak link.

Reactions: Great8Cam

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I don't mind Horny in, it's playoffs and he's a veteran. Now we really see what he can bring. Plus he's a bonus for the PP.

Deni is still so unproven and against Tampa... it's totally different vs. some bad team like Chicago or even Dallas this year.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Let's pump the break a little bit, Horny had 5 points in 7 games before being injured. He had quite the slump in the middle of the season, but he can still be effective.
Giving Marchment a game before the playoff break is good to get him up to speed. Playing Lomberg is alright since he's our "goon" and who knows if Tamps will still want to goon it up after the Gudas hit on Point. In anycase, it's not that meaningful of a roster spot since it will be replaced by a dman during the playoffs.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Lomberg showed over the last games that he is not only a middle-class goon. He can really skate, play PK and create more chances than you'd expect from a guy like him - at least recently. Yes, he misses the skill to finish. But him and Acc create so many chances against other weak lines. Gusev profited of that a lot

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Not ok with lomberg in over gusev. Icing talentless energy guys means teams don't have to play them honestly. It's like playing a pusher in tennis: great defenders, but never a threat to attack. So any line with Lomberg is effectively on the PK every time they step on the ice, as ignoring Lomberg means the opponent will key in on the other 4 skaters. Tampa is great not just because of the obvious names, but because they ice 12 forwards who can score. I appreciate Lomberg as a regular season energy guy, but playoffs is all about line matching, and he is a very weak link.
I disagree.
I think Gusev is too casual with puck security. In the playoffs where there is less room to skate, the difference is who doesn't give up odd man situations. His offensive potential is not nearly enough to offset that.
In the regular season that's fine when defense is not quite as important. You can survive his gaffes, and teams won't automatically take advantage. And every few games he'll do something to help you win. But we can't afford mistakes like that in the playoffs. Teams will make you pay, and the season could be over real quick.
Lomberg would bring better defense, better skating, and most importantly better puck security. And I don't think Lomberg is not impactful. He's good on the forecheck and helps with puck possession.

Last edited:

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
I disagree.
I think Gusev is too casual with puck security. In the playoffs where there is less room to skate, the difference is who doesn't give up odd man situations. His offensive potential is not nearly enough to offset that.
In the regular season that's fine when defense is not quite as important. You can survive his gaffes, and teams won't automatically take advantage. And every few games he'll do something to help you win. But we can't afford mistakes like that in the playoffs. Teams will you pay, and season could be over real quick.
Lomberg would bring better defense, better skating, and most importantly better puck security. We can't be run and gun.

I'd prefer my opponent thinking, "We've got to play honest defense against every Florida line," rather than, "That goof Lomberg is out there. We can cheat against his line."

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I'd prefer my opponent thinking, "We've got to play honest defense against every Florida line," rather than, "That goof Lomberg is out there. We can cheat against his line."
I added some more to my previous post. Plus I don't think Lomberg is like that at all. He's the one in on the forecheck, he's the one creating turnovers. He's the one helping keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Vilam and Ratsreign

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
It may be worth noting that Lomberg has a higher 5v5 GF/60 than Vatrano.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
I added some more to my previous post. Plus I don't think Lomberg is like that at all. He's the one in on the forecheck, he's the one creating turnovers. He's the one helping keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Lomberg cant create for himself or others. He will not be a passing option on an odd-man break. Opponent wont assign anyone to him. Gusev can even play on your pp.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Lomberg cant create for himself or others. He will not be a passing option on an odd-man break. Opponent wont assign anyone to him. Gusev can even play on your pp.
But the thing is, h not replacing Huberdeau.
Gusev is there for his offense, and he didn't bring that much. And his potential production isn't enough either. It would be one thing if he was a much better skater. But other than slightly more offensive potential, Lomberg brings a better game for the playoffs than Gusev. Overall game wise, and in the playoffs, I would prefer Lomberg.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
But the thing is, h not replacing Huberdeau.
Gusev is there for his offense, and he didn't bring that much. And his potential production isn't enough either. It would be one thing if he was a much better skater. But other than slightly more offensive potential, Lomberg brings a better game for the playoffs than Gusev. Overall game wise, and in the playoffs, I would prefer Lomberg.

Lol no

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
I mean, even if we say it's a lot. I'm not going to gamble on it showing up now (of all times, instead maybe later, or before now), consistently in a playoff series against Tampa Bay. We can't afford gambles.

Gusev chipping in some offense is far more likely than Lomberg doing....whatever he does.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Given the choice, I'd take Lomberg over Marchment on the 4th line personally. He is significantly faster and brings more energy. Hit's just as well, just with less stick skills. But lets face it, if they are icing Lomberg Acciari Marchment, it's for the other things not involving scoring. :dunno:

I still like what Acciari brings, but he has definitely come back to Earth after his 20 goal season.

He has 4 this year....3 came from one game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad