Post-Game Talk: Light summer breeze

3 Stars

• Total voters

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I really wanna see these kids (especially Kakko) get coached on movement without the puck. The play that Panarin made stopping and backpedaling to create a passing lane on the first goal is something that literally none of them (except Chytil) would even attempt. Offensively, this is one of the biggest things holding that line back from actually translating good optics into results on the scoresheet.
yes, this.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
still waiting for the end to end goal. it's coming.
Can the Rangers afford to bring back Mikkola ? I think I would prefer an investment in a solid Dman then Kane . He is big and fast somewhat physical and I think he likes it here judging by his play of late. What would he cost ?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Thought it was pretty disgraceful for the broadcast crew to not give Igor much credit yesterday. He played flat out amazingly the entire game and we should have never sniffed a win without him. They didn't even include him in one of the 3 stars of the game :laugh:

Reactions: TheDirtyH

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
Almost hard to believe 88 is a liability out there. He really does look lost and too slow to make the proper plays.
He isn’t terrible, he isn’t great. He may put in a few goals and have a few assists for us in the playoffs. I am not sure what you guys were all expecting. He is old AND may be injured. Yea, he won lots of awards and was very dynamic 10 years ago. Typical NY big name pickup.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
He isn’t terrible, he isn’t great. He may put in a few goals and have a few assists for us in the playoffs. I am not sure what you guys were all expecting. He is old AND may be injured. Yea, he won lots of awards and was very dynamic 10 years ago. Typical NY big name pickup.
As others have said, the difference in this pickup is that he doesn’t have to carry anything. He also barely cost anything.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Laf with the nice move off the pass by KK and he dekes backhand and tries to slip it 5 hole- that move works more often than it doesn't but I'd like to see him flick his wrists before the move as a fake shot to get the goalie to flinch, then when he goes back hand the goalie is a bit more in scramble mode because of the shot fake and the 5 hole is more likely to be available.

Reactions: RickChartraw

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
That bouncing puck hopping over both of our defenders stick and settling nicely for the Car forward to break in was comical and is why we have the phrase 'puck luck'.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Panarin seemed to figure something out in the second. He was pulling up and finding open lanes. He got better as the game went on.
I think Carolina's gameplan in their d zone on our zone entrys was to have their strong side D pressure the puck carrier high in the zone with little options but to dump it in, and the weak side D to anticipate this and get to the puck behind the net before our weak side support, and to chip it past our support up the side boards where their Center was waiting to get it out of the zone. On the goal Vtank threw that off by setting a legal pick with his sweet cut to the middle drop pass which then afforded Mika the space needed to make a play. Panarin read it perfectly, faked like he was heading to the net/behind the net and Pesci bit as that was the play that was occurring the entire game to that point. Really a great play all around by all 3 forwards.

Reactions: egelband

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Having 12 shots on goal midway through the 3rd period and leading 2-1 is the most Rangers shit I've ever seen.
Ummmm, seems these 2 contests were eerily similar.
1st game at MSG. Rangers dominated for most of the game, only to lose at home.
2nd game. Canes dominate for most of the game, only to lose at home.

Power Plays or should I say "powerless PP's, were very influential in winning or losing. Not so much that teams scored, but when they didn't, opposing team gained significant Momentum.

I think I read sometime ago (or heard) that a team having a long 2 man advantage and NOT scoring, LOSES 75% of the time. Don't know the exact Pctg. but, you get the picture.
'
The Rangers won despite this. Amazing they did, would have sworn they would lose. Honestly, didn't YOU feel that way? (not just you Bob, everyone.)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
30-16 shots in favor of not us. It's not negativity, it's a issue if we're getting doubled in shots and Shesty has to stand on his head.
Those numbers are trhe facts, BUT were they really that difficult? We had at least equally as many good chances as they did, despite the disparity in shots.
Many shots is to the liking of Shesty, he thrives on the work and getting reared for the PO's.
Had we played him 65 games, he would have better numbers, but question how great he would be when it "really matters". I am sure this is why they kept his workload DOWN. Oh and btw, we probably have the best back-up/tandem in the league while NOT supposedly having a great defense. Haha, what jibber jobber.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
As others have said, the difference in this pickup is that he doesn’t have to carry anything. He also barely cost anything.
Yes. I agree- you have to make that deal. We are all in this year which I like. I wasn’t addressing whether the pickup was right. I was addressing misplaced perceptions and expectations of what Patrick Kane is for us.

Sounds like some people expect him to be some superstar. He isn’t at this stage of his career. Hopefully he helps us win the cup this year! I personally think he is performing at slightly above where I expected him to. LGR!

Added: Anyone else find it interesting/cool that the players voted him as “best stickhandler”?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think Carolina's gameplan in their d zone on our zone entrys was to have their strong side D pressure the puck carrier high in the zone with little options but to dump it in, and the weak side D to anticipate this and get to the puck behind the net before our weak side support, and to chip it past our support up the side boards where their Center was waiting to get it out of the zone. On the goal Vtank threw that off by setting a legal pick with his sweet cut to the middle drop pass which then afforded Mika the space needed to make a play. Panarin read it perfectly, faked like he was heading to the net/behind the net and Pesci bit as that was the play that was occurring the entire game to that point. Really a great play all around by all 3 forwards.
Exactly.

What made that goal in addition to Tank setting the whole thing up, was Panarin stopping and almost backing up into an area where Mika could find him. That was an incredible look by Mika sending it to that spot, and i wonder if they talked about that, because when Mika releases it Panarin is in the midsts of stopping. They were looking to find that soft spot in the coverage and Tank set the whole thing up with that move/pick.

But we saw it several more times later in the game with Bread, individually. He pulled up with and without the puck into softer areas. Drove back the defenders and then pulled up, but it was more in the middle of the ozone than higher up where he usually does that. He was one of the few that could do that because he was coming in with speed and the Canes respected his puckhandling ability.

Bread is a very intelligent dude and you could see him making adjustments mid game as his confidence grew. Thats what also makes it so frustrating with him mis-managing the puck at times with ill advised passes. He has elite level vision and his body does exactly what his mind is telling it to do.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I mean, you can understand why given some of the comments @Alluckks made. I feel like people from back home have a similar view of Virginia, but they have no clue how different Northern Virginia/DC is from the rest of state.

The Triangle is a very nice, highly educated area.

You don’t have to get too far outside of NYC to get similar “backwards” vibes.
Funny i get the backwards vibe every time i get closer to NYC or most other big cities.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Terrible start. Fantastic surge. Solid finish.

And definitely not a snooze fest.
We really do play a different game away. I simply don't understand why we aren't as physical at home. Maybe it's just me. Seemed they were pissed about losing at MSG. Well maybe, if they HIT a few players that would have changed the complexion and outcome at home. Instead of "turtling" and thinking they wopuld win 1-0, hit a few of them and get the crowd roaring. I believe this will be so, in the PO's against that same team. We WILL intimidate them, I suppose no need for it now, not every game anyway.

Everybody, every opposing announcer is talking aboutr how the Ran gers are "loaded" with talent. Well, that maybe so, but it's the "bad ass" nature of this team that will carry them through. Lead by our Captain, and then there is Trochek, Mikkola is a bad ass, we all know what Lindy is, and there is a reason Tarasenko is nicknamed "Tank". The kids will be banging lots of bodies as well. Book it.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yes. I agree- you have to make that deal. We are all in this year which I like. I wasn’t addressing whether the pickup was right. I was addressing misplaced perceptions and expectations of what Patrick Kane is for us.

Sounds like some people expect him to be some superstar. He isn’t at this stage of his career. Hopefully he helps us win the cup this year! I personally think he is performing at slightly above where I expected him to. LGR!

Added: Anyone else find it interesting/cool that the players voted him as “best stickhandler”?
He does have insane hands. The only reason he’s still as dangerous as he is, is his hands

Reactions: IchabodCrane

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The Hurricanes are a better version of what the Islanders were in 2020 and 2021. You've got some higher end skill, but for the most part your whole team is a bunch of 3rd line grinder types. Good defensive core though.

They are forced to play playoff hockey all season to be really good. That team can't half ass it. You saw it tonight, they ran out of steam. Not having Svechnikov and Pacioretty is why they have to do what they do.

If that team faces the Islanders, I don't think they stand out anyway above them, especially if Barzal is back and Sorokin is a major upgrade in net over Andersen. Panthers or Penguins have too many holes to knock them out though.

Reactions: NCRanger

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
See the thing with Carolina is they’re playing playoff hockey every night. But when a team far more skilled than they are decide to match that playoff intensity I just don’t think they can go to another level. And that’s what the Rangers did in the second half of that game.
Ummm, maybe a couple of levels. Carolina only wishes they had another level. But, you have to give them much kudos for the game they DO play, game in and game out. They have their coaches heart and basically his talent, which imo wasn't even that great. He was much more heart than talent. Carolina is good, but not THAT good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad