Post-Game Talk: Light summer breeze

3 Stars

• Total voters

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
See the thing with Carolina is they’re playing playoff hockey every night. But when a team far more skilled than they are decide to match that playoff intensity I just don’t think they can go to another level. And that’s what the Rangers did in the second half of that game.
This. You can play playoff hockey all you want, but you still need to have the top end talent to finish the chances and find the limited opportunities. Carolina is a well oiled machine, but they severely lack high end talent. We are pretty much the opposite. If and when we find that playoff structure and gear, we have the talent to do a lot of damage.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
No reason to visit either. Ever.
I've been to 31* of the 32 arenas. CAR was one of the places that was so disappointing. I even told my wife that I wouldn't want to go back unless I could get a cheap flight and cheap seat for a NYR vs CAR playoff game. There is nothing around the arena, just a football stadium and downtown Raleigh doesn't have much either.

* Missing SEA. Also need to go back to EDM, DET, ARI as they got new arenas after I visited.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Kid Line held off the scoresheet again, but BOY are they coming on. Just a matter of time till the floodgates open.
I understand the frustration. They did have a strong third when the chips were down. Just hoping these are the kind of games they will come up big in. We need a line like them if we play the Canes.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
That is a gratifying win.

Suck it canes. Suck it refs. Suck it crowd horn. And suck it Rod

Edit: Igor is f***ing back everyone!!!
It never mattered what forward/defense group we iced if Igor wasn't Igor. If he continues this level of play, this is *could* be the most dangerous Rangers team to enter the playoffs in 9-10 years.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Kane is fine.

And the whole point in making these trades is to have scoring talent all over the lineup. We don’t need Kane to be what he was in Chicago, he doesn’t neeed to be the star and focus point of the offense every night. Some nights he will be but when he’s not Panarin will be and when he’s not Zibanejad will be and so on. That’s why this lineup is so dangerous. Legitimate scoring talent all over the lineup who can pick up the slack any given night.
Bingo. This isn't the 2000 Rangers hoping an aging Patrick Kane is enough to make up a 10 point deficit and get them in the 8 seed.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I understand the frustration. They did have a strong third when the chips were down. Just hoping these are the kind of games they will come up big in. We need a line like them if we play the Canes.

They're close. If Laf goes forehand-backhand-forehand on the partial breakaway in the 3rd, that's a tap in goal.

If Kakko goes to the far (left) post on a partial 2-on-1 with Chytil earlier in the game (Chytil was on the right side for this one), that's probably also a tap in goal (he skated dead center and was covered, forcing Chytil wide when he was on his backhand and didn't have a passing lane).

I really wanna see these kids (especially Kakko) get coached on movement without the puck. The play that Panarin made stopping and backpedaling to create a passing lane on the first goal is something that literally none of them (except Chytil) would even attempt. Offensively, this is one of the biggest things holding that line back from actually translating good optics into results on the scoresheet.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Tarasenko was phenomenal tonight. Please leave 10-93-91 alone. They're starting to find each other more out there and when they start finding Tarasenko in shooting areas, look out. He's still being a little bit deferential in some ways.

PP units absolutely need to be revamped. Tarasenko on the left point with a mostly lefthanded second unit is probably the worst place you could place one of the team's top shooters. He's not going to get a single shot from there.

20 / 10-93-91 / 23
16 / 13-72-88 / 8 or 79

Fox with his best game in weeks. Igor was awesome...the save on Puljujarvi was one of his best of the year. Those 2 and Tarasenko were my 3 stars picks tonight.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Playoff win!!

Needed this to get into playoff mode. First 30 minutes was regular season mode aka fancy boyyyzzzzz

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I don't care what anyone says, we're not winning a series against this team if we can't figure out alternate ways of getting out of our zone with the puck low without ringing it around the boards for a turnover the majority of the time.
We beat them in a best of 7 last year and the same concerns were said then. I trust this Rangers team will show up once the postseason comes around.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah. Just like last year when people were saying that.

So much negativity passed off as realism.

Good hard fought win against a good team. Stars shined bright...onwards.
Yep. Mustn’t forget the other team is paid to play as well. It’s like a tug of war. The Carolinas got the jump on our guys but our guys came through when it counts. Very few of these kind of games are one-sided drubbings. Especially against a fired up, skilled opponent.

Reactions: trilobyte

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Igor looks locked in. That’s big time for this team.

Tank with another strong game.Loving the physicality from him and leadership. Really really like his game

Panarin seemed to figure something out in the second. He was pulling up and finding open lanes. He got better as the game went on.

Great to see Foxy get one. He made some better plays defensively after that. Maybe a little weight came off.

Kane looks lost. He’s got very little chemistry with his line mates, looks slow, is floating and was not in sync with the team tonight. Maybe he’s still figuring things out but he isn’t as noticeable as you would think.

Trocheck is one of the most fearless hockey players I’ve ever seen. He just plays the game with reckless abandon. I almost cringe in fear every time he’s out there.

The Kid line got it going later in the game. When they dick around with the puck and get cute in the neutral zone it goes the other way. When they get it in and go to work they can sustain shifts. Good to see Kakko taking it to the net and shooting more, but he’s so far from that killer instinct player he was back in Finland. Hope he finds that again. Even if it’s half of it.

Beyond the evaluations, I thought Vally hit it on the head especially after the first. Early on you gotta weather the storm against this team. Take your learning points against a very sturdy, well coached team to play against. The Rangers are much more skilled, they need to be patient keeping up their level of play and the chances would come

Last edited:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
This. You can play playoff hockey all you want, but you still need to have the top end talent to finish the chances and find the limited opportunities. Carolina is a well oiled machine, but they severely lack high end talent. We are pretty much the opposite. If and when we find that playoff structure and gear, we have the talent to do a lot of damage.
They do have Aho, but yeah, even moreso once they lost Patches and Svech for the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad