Player Discussion Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The bottom line for me continues to be that I would have preferred the Rangers had taken someone with higher upside at 7. They took a Derek Stepan when they just spent a decade learning they needed more.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I'm hoping he goes full on Rickard Rakell.

Who was thought of as a nice two-way player, became way more than that, but didn't break out until he was 22 years old.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I agree. But I still think they should have swung harder with the pick.

For the most part I agree with that mentality.

But I have no issue with taking a safer bet when the home run players look like longer shots than usual.

It depends on the draft. Personally there’s not much after LA in ‘17 that particularly blows my hair back.

Reactions: egelband

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Everyone is obsessed with stats, but the teams are more patient and don’t sweat them.

Andersson looked fine to me and could have stayed as a dependable 4th liner. He’s not a dynamic player, but he definitely is a player. Even if he becomes and excellent 3rd or 4th liner, getting nightly contributions beyond traditional stats will be more than enough to placate the fan base and help the team contend again.

They will suck again next year so Andersson will have plenty of chances to work on his game. I like players who give a crap.

If they draft a top center or two in 2019, it will either push Lias to compete more or simply move him to wing.

Chytil/Howden/Lias is very good center depth for a rebuild.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
For the most part I agree with that mentality.

But I have no issue with taking a safer bet when the home run players look like longer shots than usual.

It depends on the draft. Personally there’s not much after LA in ‘17 that particularly blows my hair back.

Was disappointed with the pick at the time, and still largely am, but this is the real saving grace. Remember posting that while not thrilled with the Stepan return was happy the NYR would "at worst" have a shot at Pettersson (thought Vilardi was a lock for the top-5). For me it was the way the board broke plus knowing #7 was the main piece of the Stepan return that made that day rough.

But it is clear that regardless of what Andersson ends up doing there was no blatantly obvious pick they passed on. Suzuki was who I wanted them to take, but tough to say he is a clear cut better prospect than LA. Necas, Brannstrom, and Tippett are all looking good but based on my recollection of the time, don't think any would have been obvious choices over Andersson. Though I'm sure there were some on this board that had them ranked that way.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
summoning my inner kovy27...are we sure that pierre's comparison was really wrong? i mean we hope its wrong but... lol

The kid couldn’t skate at his first traverse city. Like at all. I pointed it out was told by many here I was crazy he was just tired. Two years later the kid still can’t skate. And in two more years my guess is he still won’t be able to skate.

He can’t do the things he wants to do at this level if he can’t skate away from anyone to make a play.

Maybe in juniors in Europe the ahl sure. But not at this level.

Leave it to the NYR with the league faster than ever drafting a kid that can’t skate a lick 7th overall to start off the rebuild.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The other thing with drafting Andersson in that spot is it freed up (or forced) the team to swing for the fences with the Chytil and Kravtsov picks.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
Everyone is obsessed with stats, but the teams are more patient and don’t sweat them.

Andersson looked fine to me and could have stayed as a dependable 4th liner. He’s not a dynamic player, but he definitely is a player. Even if he becomes and excellent 3rd or 4th liner, getting nightly contributions beyond traditional stats will be more than enough to placate the fan base and help the team contend again.

They will suck again next year so Andersson will have plenty of chances to work on his game. I like players who give a crap.

If they draft a top center or two in 2019, it will either push Lias to compete more or simply move him to wing.

Is it? Chytil may not even play center, Howden has been incredibly inconsistent thus far and we don't know how long it will take him to develop and Andersson has proven nothing. This group probably will be in the bottom third of the league depth wise unless they all far exceed their trajectory.

Obviously, including Mika makes it a lot better - but I wouldn't say this is great.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Or, he becomes part of a trade down the line that allows the Rangers to add ‘a missing piece’ when they’re ready to compete. Let’s say not only do the Rangers add another center in the upcoming draft, but also add one of Jost or Bowers in a Hayes trade. That’s a lot of center depth for Gorton to use if he goes big game hunting when the Rangers become contenders. That’s not a bad thing.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The other thing with drafting Andersson in that spot is it freed up (or forced) the team to swing for the fences with the Chytil and Kravtsov picks.

The Rangers didn't swing for the fences with the Chytil and Kravtsov picks. They really need to build a different team this time around. The Rangers won't have Lundqvist to fall back on and bail them out when have difficulty putting the puck in the net. Skill and speed. Maybe they won't be a good defensively as the previous teams but teams have won with 2-3 good D and a bunch of guys who eat minutes.

Chytil was a late riser in 2017. McKenzie had him at #31. Late 1st. Chytil went #21. Bob didn't have Chytil at #50 and the Rangers took him in the 1st. Kravtsov was right there. McKenzie had him at #12 and Kravtsov was ranked into the top 5 by one scout in McKenzie's rankings. Kravtsov went 9th.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The Rangers didn't swing for the fences with the Chytil and Kravtsov picks. They really need to build a different team this time around. The Rangers won't have Lundqvist to fall back on and bail them out when have difficulty putting the puck in the net. Skill and speed. Maybe they won't be a good defensively as the previous teams but teams have won with 2-3 good D and a bunch of guys who eat minutes.

Chytil was a late riser in 2017. McKenzie had him at #31. Late 1st. Chytil went #21. Bob didn't have Chytil at #50 and the Rangers took him in the 1st. Kravtsov was right there. McKenzie had him at #12 and Kravtsov was ranked into the top 5 by one scout in McKenzie's rankings. Kravtsov went 9th.

The way I prefer to couch it is that, in drafting Chytil, Kravtsov and Miller, -(and to a lesser extent, Lundkvist), the Rangers were targeting game-breaking talent.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Or, he becomes part of a trade down the line that allows the Rangers to add ‘a missing piece’ when they’re ready to compete. Let’s say not only do the Rangers add another center in the upcoming draft, but also add one of Jost or Bowers in a Hayes trade. That’s a lot of center depth for Gorton to use if he goes big game hunting when the Rangers become contenders. That’s not a bad thing.

Jost can play LW and the Rangers don't need another high IQ two-way center like Bowers. They already have Andersson and Howden. How about this? The Rangers saw something in Andersson to take him 7th overall. How about just letting him play? What a novel concept.

When are the Rangers competing? It's not happening in the next two or three years.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Jost can play LW and the Rangers don't need another high IQ two-way center like Bowers. They already have Andersson and Howden. How about this? The Rangers saw something in Andersson to take him 7th overall. How about just letting him play? What a novel concept.

When are the Rangers competing? It's not happening in the next two or three years.
Of course, they saw something in him. But, this process is about adding as many good pieces as possible, and letting competition sort things out. There’s no guarantee any of the players drafted or acquired by the Rangers are going to be here when the process is completed. Time will make that determination.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I felt I was too critical earlier about Lias - he has a lot of time to develop and NY developing staff need to be patience with him, and I`m positive he will be interesting to watch in the future. @Steve Kournianos Yes true I personally consider stats too much, but Lias is a highly skilled player.

About our center depth. It`s a definition as well going into a new rebuild if we compare us to Flames now - who has 5 players already now above 50 pts, but it`s my dream that we end up with a generational talent or a forward with elite skills in this rebuild.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The way I prefer to couch it is that, in drafting Chytil, Kravtsov and Miller, -(and to a lesser extent, Lundkvist), the Rangers were targeting game-breaking talent.

I really think they see Miller-Lundkvist as a pairing in the NHL in 3 years time. Stylistically, they should mesh well.

Andersson is going to be fine. I'd almost want them to send down Howden and play Andersson in that spot for a while. Howden has been struggling for some time, but I can understand why they are willing to let him learn on the 4th line in the NHL and let Andersson get top line AHL minutes.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Let's for argument's sake say the Rangers are interested in Jost and Bowers. In many ways, both players represent somewhat opposite approaches.

Bowers is generally projected as a steady, somewhat unflashy prospect. He's also more of a longer-term projection.

Jost is a kid with the higher offensive upside, but probably a few more warts and concerns at this stage. He feels like more of a big swing, albeit you have to be willing to accept that you could come away from the trade with very little if it doesn't pan out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Corey Pronman was asked today about Ranger prospects when he watched a Hartford game last weekend. His comment on Lias was "he was invisible".
Yep, the past few weeks he has been bad. Like I've said a few places--looks like he's sulking. Not engaged. Not overwhelmed or overmatched, just not really playing. Disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad