Player Discussion Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I keep having visions of MPS.

With the hype Edm fans still pound the table about thus kid, I feel Edm has ruined him and/or anyone who thinks they can salvage him is in for a rude awakening and wasted asset given up in return.
I get what you mean, but Jesse's pre-NHL achievements were one tier ahead of MPS' every step of the way though.

But Pääjärvi is an interesting case, he's probably a worse player offensively now than he was at 19.

The Oilers should be banned from drafting a -järvi player ever again.

Reactions: x BEUKEBOOM x

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I get what you mean, but Jesse's pre-NHL achievements were one tier ahead of MPS' every step of the way though.

But Pääjärvi is an interesting case, he's probably a worse player offensively now than he was at 19.

The Oilers should be banned from drafting a -järvi player ever again.

Same goes for Lias

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
How long does Lias have to stink before his poor play is more relevant than the fact that he was a 7th pick in the draft? Just wondering.

When a pick seems to excel ie Miller Kravtsov we get very excited that we have a potential star. And when a prospect languishes it is too soon to be disappointed. So as long as a prospect remains a prospect the future is bright I guess.

Meh, he's only really played poorly since his latest demotion. How he plays if/when he gets a call up post-deadline is going to be the biggest factor for us to all decide how we feel about his future.

Also, he's a bit of a strange case for a 7OA pick. Very few of us even had him on our radars to go that high. I can't speak for the board, but the expectations I hold him to are more along the lines of a 10-15OA guy; and he's overachieved for that range imo.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Your posts are terrible.

Like all of them.

How long do his posts have to stink before his poor posting is more relevant than the fact that he only registered his account 15 months ago? Just wondering.

When a new poster seems to excel we get very excited that we have a potential star. And when a new poster languishes it is too soon to be disappointed. So as long as a new poster remains a new poster the future is bright I guess.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How long do his posts have to stink before his poor posting is more relevant than the fact that he only registered his account 15 months ago? Just wondering.

When a new poster seems to excel we get very excited that we have a potential star. And when a new poster languishes it is too soon to be disappointed. So as long as a new poster remains a new poster the future is bright I guess.

giphy.gif

Reactions: haveandare

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He's definitely bummed he got sent back down. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. This whole "a draft pick has to produce by year two after their draft" when did this become mandatory? I know it's a younger league but usually 2-3 years is the norm for a player to join the big squad.

I wouldn't call him back up if he's sulking. Make him earn it this summer.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He's definitely bummed he got sent back down. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. This whole "a draft pick has to produce by year two after their draft" when did this become mandatory? I know it's a younger league but usually 2-3 years is the norm for a player to join the big squad.

I wouldn't call him back up if he's sulking. Make him earn it this summer.
Mark Scheifele is a top 10 center in the league now at 25.

He was taken at 7 overall in the 2011 draft (1 spot behind Mika). In his D+2 season (which Lias is currently in), he'd played 11 NHL games and had 1 point. He didn't play pro in either of his post draft seasons aside from those 11 NHL games, spending the rest of his time back in the OHL.

Sometimes you just have to be patient with your kids. However, Hartford being a dumpster fire isn't helping anyone, definitely not Lias.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Lias is gonna end up being Kevin Hayes with better defense, more sandpaper, and better leadership.

Reactions: Rongomania

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

He was taken at 7 overall in the 2011 draft (1 spot behind Mika). In his D+2 season (which Lias is currently in), he'd played 11 NHL games and had 1 point. He didn't play pro in either of his post draft seasons aside from those 11 NHL games, spending the rest of his time back in the OHL.

Sometimes you just have to be patient with your kids. However, Hartford being a dumpster fire isn't helping anyone, definitely not Lias.

Patience is the key.

I was looking through the Jets roster the other day. The amount of prospects they've graduated, from top-6 forwards to role players, is incredible. Is it great drafting, patience, good development, or luck?

Of 24 players listed on their Hockey Reference roster, 8 came from trades or FA. The rest were drafted and developed--15. Largely over the last 8 years or so. I think Tanev was the only UDFA.

Take a quick sample of other teams at different stages:

NSH has 13 homegrown, 11 trade/FA, 3 UDFA
Calgary has 10 homegrown, 8 trade/FA, 5 UDFA
Pens have 11 trade/FA, 9 homegrown, 4 UDFA.
For the Rangers, we had 11 come from trades/FA, 8 home grown, and 4 UDFA.
Hawks have 11 homegrown, 8 trade/FA, 5 UDFA.
TBL have 11 homegrown, 8 trade/FA, 4 UDFA
Arizona- 7 homegrown, 18 trade/FA, 3 UDFA.

*UDFA just means the player wasn't drafted by any team. Still may have come from free agency or trade.

I realize this is not a complete picture. Prospects get traded for any number of reasons, but I think it shows that WPG has drafted and developed exceptionally well compared to roughly a third of the league, and they have been patient with their prospects.

It's not even a matter of large market v. small market, as even Carolina has only 8 homegrown players. Montreal has 6. Toronto has 10.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We played against a kid tonight who you hope Lias can follow in similar footsteps...

Mark Scheifele.

Drafted 7th OA in 2011. He did nothing in the short amount of games he played as an 18 and 19 year old. In fact Lias has more points than he did. Then Scheifele scored 34 points in 63 games in his age 20 season, 3rd year after being drafted. 49 points in 82 GP in the following season.

There is absolutely no reason to give up on Lias is the point being made here. He has time to find himself at the Pro level

Edit: haha just looked back and saw @Glen Sathers Cigar post the exact same thing 42 minutes before me. Same rhetoric. Lol

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Good point and exactly why I posted this back in December:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Rangers are acting very strange on this one. The team has no chance making the playoffs and thus have a great chance developing Lias in the NHL right now.

I do understand his concerns, if he is not good enough for this Rangers team then what about his future next season?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Rangers are acting very strange on this one. The team has no chance making the playoffs and thus have a great chance developing Lias in the NHL right now.
I do understand his concerns, if he is not good enough for this Rangers team then what about his future next season?

It`s not strange, because they need a spot for him in the lineup and the competition is too great for Lias right now. However the expectation concerning Lias went through the roof in the 2017 draft year with the 7th 1st pick, but they are patience with him which is good.

Lias will play NHL hockey after Trade deadline when Hayes & Kreider is gone for future.

Reactions: 21

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

They're most likely trying to keep him under the game limit before he accrues a season towards UFA.

Reactions: 21

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

I agree with what you’re saying but you also have to look at a player’s skill set. Lias was never projected to be a high end player. And that’s what worries me. We potentially wasted a 7th pick on a checking line center. You want to see flashes in a player, something that makes you say wow ok he’s got potential. You see it in Chytil. Of course not everyone is gonna be Pettersson and step right up and blow the roof off. You want to see some progression, and Lias really hasn’t shown anything at the NHL level. Again, you factor in his skill set and you start to worry.

Reactions: bleedblue94

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
The Malholtra comparison is an interesting one for Lias but Manny, bust that he was, was a better skater than Lias and bigger and stronger also. At this point Howden is a better prospect than Lias; also bigger and a better skater than Lias. The issue with all three is that they did not/do not have the hands to be a top 6 center. Howden should develop nicely into our 3rd line center. What role Lias can reasonably achieve is unclear but at some point, when reality sets as it inevitably does, in he will be on another team without the baggage of being a high draft pick, somewhat like ADA (who has a better skill set).

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I agree with what you’re saying but you also have to look at a player’s skill set. Lias was never projected to be a high end player. And that’s what worries me. We potentially wasted a 7th pick on a checking line center. You want to see flashes in a player, something that makes you say wow ok he’s got potential. You see it in Chytil. Of course not everyone is gonna be Pettersson and step right up and blow the roof off. You want to see some progression, and Lias really hasn’t shown anything at the NHL level. Again, you factor in his skill set and you start to worry.
Lias does have a good skill set, but like Stepan, he doesn’t do the two things that everyone just assumes mean high ceiling (great skating and stick handling). His game is more going through people than around them, and he doesn’t exactly have man-strength yet, so like the vast majority of 20 year old hockey players, of course he hasn’t really showed anything at the NHL level yet. Have some patience.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
The Malholtra comparison is an interesting one for Lias but Manny, bust that he was, was a better skater than Lias and bigger and stronger also. At this point Howden is a better prospect than Lias; also bigger and a better skater than Lias. The issue with all three is that they did not/do not have the hands to be a top 6 center. Howden should develop nicely into our 3rd line center. What role Lias can reasonably achieve is unclear but at some point, when reality sets as it inevitably does, in he will be on another team without the baggage of being a high draft pick, somewhat like ADA (who has a better skill set).

yeah, all busts play almost 1000 games in the nhl...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Lias does have a good skill set, but like Stepan, he doesn’t do the two things that everyone just assumes mean high ceiling (great skating and stick handling). His game is more going through people than around them, and he doesn’t exactly have man-strength yet, so like the vast majority of 20 year old hockey players, of course he hasn’t really showed anything at the NHL level yet. Have some patience.

My opinion of Lias is that, at the moment, he’s still just an asset. He hasn’t done enough to make himself an essential part of the Rangers’ future just yet. There’s still time, but, I currently see him as a high end 3C., which is how I also view Howden. And, there in lies the rub. In terms of adding assets and accumulating depth, Andersson is fine. My gut feeling is that he ends up being sent in the package for a player that helps the Rangers when they’re ready to contend. And I don’t see a problem with that. I’m not caught up in him being 7OA. It’s about building the organization as a whole and not one individual player.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
My opinion of Lias is that, at the moment, he’s still just an asset. He hasn’t done enough to make himself an essential part of the Rangers’ future just yet. There’s still time, but, I currently see him as a high end 3C., which is how I also view Howden. And, there in lies the rub. In terms of adding assets and accumulating depth, Andersson is fine. My gut feeling is that he ends up being sent in the package for a player that helps the Rangers when they’re ready to contend. And I don’t see a problem with that. I’m not caught up in him being 7OA. It’s about building the organization as a whole and not one individual player.
I mean, by thy metric, who really has made themselves essential to the Rangers future? I still think he’ll be better than Howden long term, and outside of that hot goal scoring streak, he could be doing what Howdens doing right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille