Player Discussion Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Jordan Staal would be a great outcome for Lias so long as we don't get Staal's salary/AAV. topping out at 50 points... not great but that's probably realistic.
The only reason we should trade Lias is if there is a chance to grab a center like Seguin.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Reasons why?

He was rumored to be one of the most NHL ready of the prospects in 2017, but both coaches decided to use him mostly on the 4th line 7 games with AV, and 21 games with Quinn only 2 goals in 28 games. I don`t understand how the scouts in NY decided to go with him in consider how fast pace it`s in NHL in the last 2-3 years related to overall skating abilities and quickness. If he had a high enough talent and skill he would be used in top 6 no doubts about that and AV is a well known NHL coach.

I would invest the pick in a future when we are closer to TDL or in this summer window, but that opinion can change, of course. All players in his age are developing, but a brief evaluation after 28 games of Lias so far and he has been frustrated with broken sticks. A 1st 7th overall pick for a 4th line duty is simply not good enough drafting related to that topic in my view.
And this opinion can and will change, but that`s how I see it at the moment 21st of January 2019.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He was rumored to be one of the most NHL ready of the prospects in 2017, but both coaches decided to use him mostly on the 4th line 7 games with AV, and 21 games with Quinn only 2 goals in 28 games. I don`t understand how the scouts in NY decided to go with him in consider how fast pace it`s in NHL in the last 2-3 years related to overall skating abilities and quickness. If he had a high enough talent and skill he would be used in top 6 no doubts about that and AV is a well known NHL coach.

I would invest the pick in a future when we are closer to TDL or in this summer window, but that opinion can change, of course. All players in his age are developing, but a brief evaluation after 28 games of Lias so far and he has been frustrated with broken sticks. A 1st 7th overall pick for a 4th line duty is simply not good enough drafting related to that topic in my view.
And this opinion can and will change, but that`s how I see it at the moment 21st of January 2019.

He's 20 years old. Most players his range aren't even in the AHL at this point in their careers

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes true it`s not about the player or Lias he could progress at a later stage which is not unusual, but how the scouting staff approached it - I see it as a huge risk and that`s only based on skating skills even though he has improved since they drafted him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes true it`s not about the player or Lias he could progress at a later stage which is not unusual, but how the scouting staff approached it - I see it as a huge risk and that`s only based on skating skills even though he has improved since they drafted him.

I thought the "NHL ready" argument was more Pierre McGuire than Clark

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I believe you’re right - this all comes from Pierre draft talk b/s.

Yes a good point @Amazing Kreiderman - I hope Lias is successful so dont get me wrong, and maybe they should let him play a full season in AHL, but he has 16 pts in 23 games with Wolfpack and that is promising.

Pierre also compared him to Jesper Fast, which was only based on them being Swedish and playing for Husqvarna71 in their draft year.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Yes a good point @Amazing Kreiderman - I hope Lias is successful so dont get me wrong, and maybe they should let him play a full season in AHL, but he has 16 pts in 23 games with Wolfpack and that is promising.

For sure, as a 20 year old not known for ‘flash’ it is impressive. I also feel like Quinn totally had an agenda with him last time he was up (work on this, work on that - from a non-offense POV).

Reactions: Ori

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
I like the way how management gives a cup of coffe to different prospects in the big league this year. Giving the young ones a few games to feel the game, and send them back down with instructions to what to work on. Hard to do this in most seasons due to waiver rules and squad size.
The way management handles this year is how its usualy done in all european sports, soccer or hockey or handball.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
In hindsight, there are probably a handful of other players I would've taken over him (Necas, in particular). I think the Rangers were drawn to Lias because he seemed to embody "the complete package", or a combination of leadership, maturity and great two-way game. I'm not saying those attributes are enough to justify taking someone 7th overall... I'm just trying to get into the head of Clark at that moment in time. Unfortunately, if you haven't been following the player closely (McGuire), getting fed such information about a player can lead you to the conclusion that they are NHL ready when that's not at all the case.

I think if the draft wasn't such a crapshoot after Pettersson there is a good chance they would have went with someone else. As of now there are a couple of promising players taken after him but none were anything close to a definite and as of yet have not proven anything at the NHL level. Give a team that likes too go off the board all the time a good reason to go off the board (weak draft) and you end up with picks like McIlrath and Andersson. Then again, Kravstov was hardly the BPA in the last draft too - but we only went slightly off the board

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC

He has been significantly less productive since his return from the NHL. That can't really be ignored. Maybe he's lost his confidence.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
He has been significantly less productive since his return from the NHL. That can't really be ignored. Maybe he's lost his confidence.

There might be some truth to it, but I don't know if I would read so deeply into such a small sample size

At the same time I'm not going to lie and say that that I'm not at all concerned

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Yes, Pierre is the worst, I cannot wait until he retires. The bias combined with the stupidity is otherworldly.
Pierre says things more for dramatic effect for broadcast reasons than anything based on facts. Take anything he says with a grain of salt and don't let it spread.

Reactions: Rongomania

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
only 4 pts in 8 games since his return though

Yes, but it`s more about human nature; it`s not an easy situation for him since he did not make the team out of the training camp last year in October - and he returned back to AHL after a difficult time in NHL with Quinn`s coaching decisions about Lias ice time and role after 21 games with 1 goal and 3 assist -5.

I`m not fond how the development staff used Lias this season: You either have him on the team out of the training camp or let him develop in AHL with top 6 minutes which they did until he was recalled - and if I remember correctly it was based on an injury situation.

And now you see the effect - lost confidence on himself, but hopefully he will start believe in himself after some mental coaching which is important in today professional sport to have best chances of success is to believe in yourself, but there are limits compare to other prospects who are drafted this early in a draft year.

It`s still a huge accomplishment for a young hockey player to play at this level though if you look at the larger picture, and not many players are drafted this early so easy to forget, and fans tend to expect too much of their high profiled prospects especially myself and I`m usually not very patience.

The whole circus with Elias in Vancouver Canucks - the pressure was and still is enormous in the Canadian sport media, so I don`t envy him. But I enjoy watching him play and I hope Canucks sign Zucc as rental for a playoffs push in the West which is easier to reach playoffs, but I doubt Jim Benning will use assets on such a move this year. :)

Reactions: Rongomania

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i was a huge LA guy pre draft and post draft. saw him as a guy who just wins and plays a smart, responsible 2 way game. natural leader with maturity and an advanced understanding of the game. high end 2C is what i saw. so far, not gonna lie, haven't seen much from him to make me feel good.

hes been pretty blah.

its early, but haven't been nearly as impressed as i expected.

Last edited:

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
The thing to keep in mind is LA hasn't been given the chance to play with top players. I haven't seen any of our younger players in that 4th line role do well enough to deserve more playing time. Buch, Howden, Chytil, even Namestnikov all looked pretty blah when on the 4th line. Hopefully, we see LA get a call up later this season with Howden going down and getting a 3C playing time, pk chance and playing with some more talented players not just plugs. I'll reserve my judgement until then.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
He's a guy the elevates his game. Maybe between getting 4th line mins, playing with little talent on a struggling team he's struggling to get going?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The thing to keep in mind is LA hasn't been given the chance to play with top players.

Nobody gets a chance to play with top players. It's not a right, it's something you earn by being really good in less crucial spots. The way to make the NHL is to be dominant in the AHL. The way to make the top-6 is to be great in the bottom-6. This is even more so in the new NHL where you don't see the same division between top6=offense and bottom6=defense that we saw in the 90s and earlier. Now there are defense-first guys in the top-6 and guys like Pirri on the 4th line.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Nobody gets a chance to play with top players. It's not a right, it's something you earn by being really good in less crucial spots. The way to make the NHL is to be dominant in the AHL. The way to make the top-6 is to be great in the bottom-6. This is even more so in the new NHL where you don't see the same division between top6=offense and bottom6=defense that we saw in the 90s and earlier. Now there are defense-first guys in the top-6 and guys like Pirri on the 4th line.
Yeah I get that and agree to an extent, but even going back to training camp two years back, before you can say Chytil established himself in the AHL, AV had Lias with bottom players and plugs. Just like Quinn did in the most recent training camp. Lias didn't even get a chance with top players in the preseason, did he even get that chance in practice? idk. This is a rebuilding team and it's not like Lias has been a dud in the AHL.

Also good to see you posting again.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
summoning my inner kovy27...are we sure that pierre's comparison was really wrong? i mean we hope its wrong but... lol

Reactions: Kovalev27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad