Dreger: Lias Andersson requests a trade

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Im assuming thats sarcasm but yes it is VERY strange for a kid thats just trying to make it......
You have established players in sports leagues who KNOW they'd be playing on championship contending teams as a key guy who are saying they aren't sure they want to play.... and that's guys who are already here.

But "blah blah entitled milennial euro.. blah blah... gotta earn it... blah blah participation trophy."

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My thinking with young players is this, if you don't have a spot open on which they can succeed then you send them back to junior/Europe or to the AHL to continue to get the minutes and reps in the type of role you drafted them to fulfill.

The good organizations seem to have a pulse on when the right time is to get the kids into that role. The best teams almost never leave a prized prospect in a depth role for long.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Valid question. But you're talking about a prospect taken with a 7th overall pick. Some guys need an opportunity to do something 'noticeable'. If the opportunity you're offering up some of your premier prospects are looks on a fourth line with some pugilists, you're probably not going to come away impressed by what they're showing you.

Other “premier prospects” found a way and were rewarded. At some point it’s in the “premier prospect” and not the coach.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Why is he so against the AHL?
Other centers drafted around him are roughing it out in the minors to develop.

Unless he is comparing himself to his buddy Pettersson or something like that
He's the kid who threw his silver medal into the stands.

I think that speaks to his sense of entitlement to something he hasn't earned, be it a gold medal or a top line position on an NHL team.

Nothing but the best for him, whether he deserves it or not.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Thats bullshit. You don't throw a developing player on not just a 4th line but one of the worst 4th lines in the NHL , give him 5 minutes of 5 v 5 ice time per game and then say "oh well you didn't stand out f*** you bye". It's called development, the Oilers have failed far more talented players with that same "sink or swim" mentality.

Maybe the Rangers just didn't care about him anymore and yes maybe he was the wrong pick but if you really want to try and make it work you don't do that.

Yes swear that makes you right. He played over 9 minutes a night some games he was given more, he sucked and could not earn any ice. I'm sure somehow you think players that are first starting out hit the big line and get all the perks, that is false.
Unless your a star out of the gate you get a little look to make sure you can handle it. The better you are the more you play.
If you suck and cant make it you either work hard and get a second chance or you pout and demand a trade.
Its called development correct. It is not called hey welcome to the top line.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
To NYR- Tryamkin
To Van- Andersson

A pair of guys that left their teams and could maybe use a change of scenery.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's not against the AHL, he's against the toxic Rangers organization.

What's toxic about the Rangers organization?

It seems more like Andersson is just a very immature kid. It's incredible to think the Rangers drafted this guy due to his intangibles. He seems to have some of the worst intangibles I can remember of any first round pick. I'd definitely question the scouting and interviews they did with this player. They clearly whiffed on their evaluation of this kid, but claiming the organization is toxic because Andersson is isn't a good NHL'er and lacks maturity is ridiculous.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Whatever happened to Tryamkin?

He wasn't super comfortable in North America, or Vancouver especially, and signed a 3 year deal in the KHL. He has announced through his agent he is very interested in renting the Canucks, and most of us are very happy to have him back.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Whatever happened to Tryamkin?

He’s looking to return to the NHL next season and negotiating a contract with the Canucks.

If Andersson and Pettersson are friends off the ice, I would make this move from the Canucks end. Might be a good change of scenery for
Lias.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
His value is at a all time low, probably lower then poolparty.

I’d wait it out if I was the Rangers. There’s no rush to move him atm.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
What's his value right now? Mid-high 2nd round pick?
that's the best case, imo. the pick was considered a reach by some at draft night. he never caught fire in the nhl or ahl. just from a hockey perspective the high 2nd rounder sounds about right. add the drama and his differences with the rangers management and i doubt he will get as much in a trade.

Reactions: bernmeister

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
You have established players in sports leagues who KNOW they'd be playing on championship contending teams as a key guy who are saying they aren't sure they want to play.... and that's guys who are already here.

But "blah blah entitled milennial euro.. blah blah... gotta earn it... blah blah participation trophy."

Thank you for making my point. Established players have made a bunch of money and often have long term contracts. They can afford to not play if they dont want to. Guys who are fighting for a spot on the roster dont really have that luxury. Im not saying its right. Just that its reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad