Dreger: Lias Andersson requests a trade

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I want in Vancouver with Pettersson... linemates back in the day and dominated.

what would it take?

how about Juolevi for Anderson?
both could use a fresh start.

no on Juol
but
I'd take 2nd round pick down and conditional pick we agree on based on how he performs over next 2 years.
If he averages x this, y that, the added conditional pick b'c active.
Pick would be
0 if he was a bust
3rd if he was mediocre to good
2nd if he was good to very good

something like that

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
He has zero value at this point, not sure why people are actually giving up mediocre assets for him.

His ceiling is a 3rd liner, and even that doesn't look likely.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Maybe in your magical proposals, but not in the real world, not even close.

We are getting zippo positive interest.
He has to be discounted.
Either he is discounted stand alone, or he is discounted in a bundle.

He may have more value as a sweetener.
He certainly does not command a good return at this pt.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Guys like this tend to have way more value to a team's fans than other teams GM's

see:

Julius Honka
Curtis Lazar
Jared Tinordi
Nail Yakupov

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
My guess is the bullying that Lias referred to other than obvious beef with coach Quinn is the medical/trainer personnel pushed him to play through some pain/injury which he was not used to and obviously resulted in poor on ice production. Rangers trainers are known to make players play with lots of injuries, Dan Girardi is a good example and his game deteriorated because he was always so banged up. My guess is he doesn't want to say it to get those people in trouble before getting all info on what exactly is his injury/pain.

Never actually heard of a player who made mention of the "Rangers trainers" this way. Jim Ramsay is a class act. The whole Rangers organization is a class act. So when JD contacts Anderson to specifically say,"What happened here kid?" and the player says, "any communication must go through my agent.", i have to think this is on the player himself and not the organization. Especially if he's not willing to speak to JD. John Freaking Davidson, who may just be the nicest, most well respected guy on the business side of the game.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Never actually heard of a player who made mention of the "Rangers trainers" this way. Jim Ramsay is a class act. The whole Rangers organization is a class act. So when JD contacts Anderson to specifically say,"What happened here kid?" and the player says, "any communication must go through my agent.", i have to think this is on the player himself and not the organization. Especially if he's not willing to speak to JD. John Freaking Davidson, who may just be the nicest, most well respected guy on the business side of the game.

I think it is more the words of a guy pissed that he didn't get his way.
The Rangers as an organization are well known for taking care of their Family, no matter where they are in the standings. I think Lias never lived up to billing and when he was given AHL playing time he didn't show he deserved to be on the big club. Granted, I think DQ is a complete abortion regarding young player deployment but it was not as if Lias earned a right to play above the 4th line when he played at MSG.

Is he a primma donna? Maybe. I just think he isn't all that good.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think it is more the words of a guy pissed that he didn't get his way.
The Rangers as an organization are well known for taking care of their Family, no matter where they are in the standings. I think Lias never lived up to billing and when he was given AHL playing time he didn't show he deserved to be on the big club. Granted, I think DQ is a complete abortion regarding young player deployment but it was not as if Lias earned a right to play above the 4th line when he played at MSG.

Is he a primma donna? Maybe. I just think he isn't all that good.

I think DQ is doing a fine job with the young guys. Fox, Chytil, DeAngelo are all burning the house down right now. Who has he struggled with, Kakko? Hes the only one underperforming right now, and I wouldn't say its DQ's fault

Reactions: haveandare

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I think DQ is doing a fine job with the young guys. Fox, Chytil, DeAngelo are all burning the house down right now. Who has he struggled with, Kakko? Hes the only one underperforming right now, and I wouldn't say its DQ's fault

Sure, those three are doing well.....I don't think any of them weren't ready to step in and step it up. None of them, sans Fox, lacked NHL experience coming in to this season though.

Quinn's deployment of young players has been relatively bad. This season ADA and Fox were no brainers to make the team.....Dmen by default considering the rest of the D corps.

Any young defender that plays behind Staal and Smith is just not getting a fair shake.

Krav and Chytil should have made the team over Lias and Lias had played most of his time on the 4th line with terrible players and Smith........that in itself says a lot about Quinn IMO. He may have had a spot or two on the middle 6 lines but the vast majority of his time was in the 4C role.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I really feel sorry for this kid. People seem to forget he is only 20 years old in a new country and he has had immense pressure on him since the day he arrived.

He is extremely talented and has not been utilised well at all. He is a young leader and works very hard. He is obviously struggling and I hope the time off to be with family and get himself back to a place where is happy can help him get back to enjoy playing hockey again.

I honestly believe that it would be best for him and the Rangers for him to stay in Sweden for now and get himself back up to speed and spend the remainder of this season and all of next season playing in the SHL, if the Rangers would allow it.

Kid gets my best wishes and would love see him in a Ranger jersey again.
I was 20 once. Not TOO long ago. I was old enough to comprehend that I would be a complete asshole if I quit bc I didn't get a promotion that I didn't even come close to earning. He was asked to handle a 4th line role which isn't much pressure at all. He was asked to improve his strength, conditioning and speed like any player ever. He's a big baby who quit bc he didn't get his way. Unless he has a legitimate mental illness (I have seen absolutely nothing to support this) then he is fully responsible for his unprofessional behavior

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Rangers fans don’t complain about fox flipping off Carolina but love trashing lias for flipping off their team. The word hypocrite comes to mind

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Where do I start here?

I don't think Andersson was given a fair shot on the big club. That is on DQ.
Has to be called for total bs, evident on the eye test.
b'c he was not just a 1st put a high 1st, they gave him way more opportunity than he deserved.

They had nothing else ranked high, but instead of peddling this for another pick +, they gambled and lost. He was ranked closer to 12-17ish and they reached because ho ho ho, he was supposedly a safer pick.

Last year his skating was an abortion.
It was better this year, but that is not saying much.

Most egregiously, the entirely political decision to give this kid more than he deserved in terms of opportunity, including with the likes of Kreider, Zib, etc, just to save face and only b'c he was a 1st/7OA, cost others who deserved a fair shot, including Nieves.

Good riddance to Lias.
He has zip talent, and they figured this guy could be a Charley Hustle/Pete Rose NHL type, best case scenario another Gallagher like on Mon.
They figured wrong.
HCDQ was entirely correct to not give him more than he already got, none of which he earned, was way too much.

Howden has never been sent down and he isn't really any better than Lias.
Not sure he was NEVER sent down, but I'll take your word for it.
However, he really IS way, WAY better than Lias.
Setting aside passing skills, hockey sense and other variables, what is NIGHT AND DAY indisputable, is that Howden can actually skate and skate well and skate circles around Lias any time, any place.

I also realize there wasn't much room for him on the team.
Lias got 6 to 7 minutes on the 4th line with Haley or someone equally as offensively devoid.
I don't mind moving Lias, someone isn't going to be playing out of the previously mentioned.

Yes, he has had bottom 6 and plenty of 4th line mins w/offensive black holes. But he also got legit shot w/Kreider and Zib mins.

At this pt we have no choice but to move him, only ? is now or later.

Bern, this is a similar situation to your infatuation with Nieves. You have a player here that really isn't all that good and isn't deserving of some assignment that projects to be above his skill level.

No, it is you who have the compulsion here b'c you CONSTANTLY refuse to admit I am entitled to conduct this experiment as I theorize.
You insist that unless Nieves is a Chytil level of talent, or something similar, there is no basis to conduct the test.
But you are wrong.
Nieves does NOT have to reach Chytil standards. He only has to be an effective facilitator. [And again, the idea is not that Chytil can't be a good facilitator, the pt is Chytil can better anchor another line, strengthening it and deepening our lineup, since he does have sufficient talent.]

It is beyond credible how you continuously cling to this no talent charge and get away with it, when as a facilitator, who only has to make it easier for Kreider and Zib, the threshold of what Boo needs to do is less than full service.

It is already obvious passing the eye test that Nieves
- is solid defensively and his Ws can take comfort he has their back
- has size, reach, speed

He is not a scorer, but neither is most of the rest of the team, and again he does not have to be. He only has to make it easier for his Ws to score.

So this really boils down to his ability as a pivot to stickhandle and pass the puck. That is really all this is.
My view of the eye test is he is skilled enough to do this, and unlike Stepan, can do so at high speed w/a fast enough W.

You want to disagree fine, but that is what the experiment is for.
And no bs about Boo never producing etc etc. He's never had any quality scoring Ws to work with.
--------------

I always felt Lias had a ceiling of a defensive 3C......not everyone can be a top line offensive player. Andersson really never deserved to play above the 3rd line or with better players.....
correct, but only to the extent he demonstrated epic fail after being given the chance.
Teams need to try, including outside the box, to find combos that work, because chemistry is a unique and fragile thing.
'Deserve[] to play' yields to give everyone a fair shot, first.
THEN you cut the wheat from the chaff, and so on.

But you give everyone a look in equal conditions [same linemates] so you can compare players with adequately identical or similar enough variables.

just like Nieves.
wrong.
NEVER got a fair shot to date.

When you have Zib/Chytil and Strome ahead of you........Lias only gets 4th line minutes.
Agreed, and that is best case scenario for Lias who has not even earned that.
Either the Boo experiment works or it doesn't.
If it does, he is a C and Zib is RW on that line.
If not Nieves is 4C and Zib is a pivot
Chytil, Strome and I argue around the corner Krav will show up and eventually pivot as well.
Howden 3C or 4C if pushed down.

No room for Lias.
buh-bye​

Get to the point! Maybe 3 sentences in this could be considered part of a well supported argument. Your Nieves thing is wrong and you are wrong. You are not entitled to do anything other than offer your completely unsupported fantasy just as everyone else is entitled to point out how you are completely wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shootertooter

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Sure, those three are doing well.....I don't think any of them weren't ready to step in and step it up. None of them, sans Fox, lacked NHL experience coming in to this season though.

Quinn's deployment of young players has been relatively bad. This season ADA and Fox were no brainers to make the team.....Dmen by default considering the rest of the D corps.

Any young defender that plays behind Staal and Smith is just not getting a fair shake.

Krav and Chytil should have made the team over Lias and Lias had played most of his time on the 4th line with terrible players and Smith........that in itself says a lot about Quinn IMO. He may have had a spot or two on the middle 6 lines but the vast majority of his time was in the 4C role.

I think his deployment has been fine. Smith isn't playing defense. And the only youngin who is playing behind Staal is Hajek, who has struggled. Lias played well in preseason, enough to earn him a spot on the team over Krav and Chytil. I also think Lias' game is much more well suited for a 4th line role than Krav or Chytil. I also don't think Lias proved or showed anybody that he belonged anywhere other than the 4th line. And when you are stuck on the 4th line, you play with 4th line quality players. Ill take Howden over LA any day of the week

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I was 20 once. Not TOO long ago. I was old enough to comprehend that I would be a complete ******* if I quit bc I didn't get a promotion that I didn't even come close to earning. He was asked to handle a 4th line role which isn't much pressure at all. He was asked to improve his strength, conditioning and speed like any player ever. He's a big baby who quit bc he didn't get his way. Unless he has a legitimate mental illness (I have seen absolutely nothing to support this) then he is fully responsible for his unprofessional behavior

How do you know this? Short answer, you dont.

You know the same information as everyone else does and have come to your own conclusion.

Reactions: bert

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

You know the same information as everyone else does and have come to your own conclusion.

All signs point to that, though. At this point, what could the Rangers have possibly done to drive a kid to quit? Im honestly just looking for hypothetical scenarios. What could the Rangers have done?

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013

What? I offered an alternative in the thing you bolded which indicates i dont fully know and I'm not being conclusive.

"I feel confident in my answer but it's not conclusive so here's an alternative possibility "

You: "what makes you so sure!!!???"

Not to mention it's a discussion forum where we all constantly form opinions based on info we have. Why are you acting like that's so unheard of?

It just looks like like you disagree with me but have no counter argument so you're trying to disqualify my stance using really arbitrary standards that dont make sense and have no burden of proof

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad