Prospect Info: Liam Ohgren LW, 19th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
ohgren scored the most yet drafted last of the 3, i just don't get it. he scored alot in a defense first environment whats not to like? unleash this young gun and see what happens!

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
ohgren scored the most yet drafted last of the 3, i just don't get it. he scored alot in a defense first environment whats not to like? unleash this young gun and see what happens!
Lekkermaki just stands out as the best of the three. He has this shiftiness and dynamic element to his game that separate him.

I would still argue drafting Ohgren over Ostlund so their actual draft position does not mean much to me. Ohlund is regarded one of the smartest prospects in draft - more of a undersized playmaker - but feel Ohgren's all around game with translate better along with his nose for the net.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Also, perhaps if they were on lines of their own, Ohgren might produce less as he seems to be more of a player that capitalizes on plays. He's not going to create offense on his own. So paired up with Gaudreau, he will be okay. Lekkermaki can drive a line and Sabres are hoping Ostlund will too.

But pair Ohgren with a playmaker like Rossi or Kaprizov, and he will out produce at least Ostlund with his shots and ability to compliment the cycle.

Reactions: Leeves

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lekkermaki just stands out as the best of the three. He has this shiftiness and dynamic element to his game that separate him.

I would still argue drafting Ohgren over Ostlund so their actual draft position does not mean much to me. Ohlund is regarded one of the smartest prospects in draft - more of a undersized playmaker - but feel Ohgren's all around game with translate better along with his nose for the net.
Agree that Lekkermaki stood the most at the junior level. You always wonder whether such a player can bring that game with him to the NHL, after he gets knocked on his ass a couple of times. You can say the same of Ohgren, but he is built to take the punishment a lot better. He just needs to work on his skating a bit. It's not bad, but you'd like better acceleration. That comes with maturity, dryland training, and better technique.

Ohgren's game reminds me of Beckman's a bit...maybe a bit more creative, and less linear. Don't know if he has a harder shot, but i like his release better than Beckman's. He is also quite a bit thicker, and more suited to withstand heavy going. Beckman is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I wonder if Hartman this year or even the range of outcomes in Hartman’s career depending on the level of skill he’s played with is a decent comparable for Ohgren. They are both first round picks that were big scorers before the pros. Hartman has shown a really solid shot and some skills as a finisher around the net. More passing and that kind of stuff than expected. Benefits as a finisher playing with a really good player but is also a north/south physical player that can be on a checking line.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Scouching talks highly of Ohgren. Had him ranked higher than Ostlund and Lekkerimaki prior to the draft

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I've watched a lot of Ohgren clips, he has more skill than expected (even with the puck and not just as a finisher) for someone who is talked about as a lower ceiling player. He is not an east / west type player, but he makes a lot of advanced plays with the puck as a puck handler and as a passer especially in the offensive zone. I could easily see more Landeskog than say Hartman.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I've watched a lot of Ohgren clips, he has more skill than expected (even with the puck and not just as a finisher) for someone who is talked about as a lower ceiling player. He is not an east / west type player, but he makes a lot of advanced plays with the puck as a puck handler and as a passer especially in the offensive zone. I could easily see more Landeskog than say Hartman.
He's not without skill, he's just without any elite skill.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
He's not without skill, he's just without any elite skill.
I guess I'm not sure that he's not. Maybe Boldy has some similarities where Boldy doesn't dominate the game in an overt way in the way say a Zegras does, but Boldy is an elite offensive player or talent. I don't think that Ohgren is at the same level of Boldy, but I think he could be sneaky elite in some similar veins.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I guess I'm not sure that he's not. Maybe Boldy has some similarities where Boldy doesn't dominate the game in an overt way in the way say a Zegras does, but Boldy is an elite offensive player or talent. I don't think that Ohgren is at the same level of Boldy, but I think he could be sneaky elite in some similar veins.
That's where I am. I see alot of good tools here with a notion that there might be some goal scoring instinct to tap into and progress into something something really good over the years.

I still imagine a 30-30-60pts in 82 games type of two-way player that moves along all top 3 lines, plays PP and PK. Does that mean he has an elite skill? Not sure but I would be really happy with this outcome.

Reactions: majormajor

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That's where I am. I see alot of good tools here with a notion that there might be some goal scoring instinct to tap into and progress into something something really good over the years.

I still imagine a 30-30-60pts in 82 games type of two-way player that moves along all top 3 lines, plays PP and PK. Does that mean he has an elite skill? Not sure but I would be really happy with this outcome.
Sounds like a more goal-heavy Ondrej Palat.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I see good passing, smart play, and a great shot. Also looks to be strong, though i am not sure that it translates to the ice.

Main weakness I see is a bit of an awkward stride, but that can be fixed, I think. Don't think he'll ever be an elite skater, though.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities

Agreed. Here are a few clips that make me think the consensus narrative is one of those things based off of just an idea of what he is because he's not a Zegras type prospect

Clip 1 -
Clip 2 -
Clip 3 -

This is obviously at a lower level, but this is not a player who is just north/south making simple plays. This is a player who sees the ice well and is making lots of high IQ / skill hockey plays with relatively complex moves. I see all of those things that Boldy does to generate space and angles in slot areas and all of the little area plays to keep the puck moving and being able to be a connector, distributor finisher, or even make guys miss with the puck in small areas. I don't see him being a player who is going to go coast to coast with the puck, he's going to keep the puck moving and make area passes, but to me this combined with the scoring numbers scream something a little bit different than what I visualize when I see the way people post about his skills.

I think he's more of a sure thing to be a 30-30 type guy than most prospects who have "high" upside are to be the PPG above type guys with his game. Now we will see if it continues to translate as he goes up skill levels but I would almost be bound to say that it's more likely to translate because this is a pro style game where you can be successful doing these things at the pro level versus a lot of the traditional amatuer style of games that don't translate that well up skill levels.

I guess what about these clips other than being told by the consensus (which is mostly just other people repeating the same handful of original sources that they read for their own opinion) screams anything lower than maybe he doesn't jump off the page as a Kap level player?

Reactions: Sad People

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think he's more of a sure thing to be a 30-30 type guy than most prospects who have "high" upside are to be the PPG above type guys with his game. Now we will see if it continues to translate as he goes up skill levels but I would almost be bound to say that it's more likely to translate because this is a pro style game where you can be successful doing these things at the pro level versus a lot of the traditional amatuer style of games that don't translate that well up skill levels.
That's why he's called a "safe" pick. He is more of a sure thing. He just doesn't have the elite game breaker type game to be someone like Fiala.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
That's why he's called a "safe" pick. He is more of a sure thing. He just doesn't have the elite game breaker type game to be someone like Fiala.
That's fair although I would argue Fiala is a player who is capable of scoring 90-100 points who throughout his career has been inconsistent (and then didn't have the linemates) to produce at that level (and instead for many years was a 60 point player, where I'm not sure Ohgren is a 90-100 point player but I think he will be (similar to Boldy) a really high point producer (even higher than 30-30) who is slightly more dependent on linemates than Fiala (who can play a 60 point pace with 4th liners because of his line driving ability). I think if he improved his skating there's room for a higher ceiling than that even.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Idk if yall are comparing him to Boldy or what but after people have mentioned it I myself can see a bit of Boldy in his game In what ways Im not too sure and cant really express in words but after watching some highlights and vidoes yall posters have mentioned I can see it

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Have to wonder if the Wild are expecting to be NHL-ready in a year or two. He is more fit/physically ready than most at his age, and that's usually one of the big things for young guys and clubs worried they are going to get pushed around.

Foligno's contract is done in two years, Greenway in three, I have to assume Ohgren here could take the place of one or the other by the time they're done, at a much cheaper, entry-level price point.

If we go into year three of cap-hell with Ohgren, Rossi, Beckman, O'Rourke/Hunt, and Wallstedt all being on ELCs we somehow suddenly have a lot of available cap space, strangely enough.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Have to wonder if the Wild are expecting to be NHL-ready in a year or two. He is more fit/physically ready than most at his age, and that's usually one of the big things for young guys and clubs worried they are going to get pushed around.

Foligno's contract is done in two years, Greenway in three, I have to assume Ohgren here could take the place of one or the other by the time they're done, at a much cheaper, entry-level price point.

If we go into year three of cap-hell with Ohgren, Rossi, Beckman, O'Rourke/Hunt, and Wallstedt all being on ELCs we somehow suddenly have a lot of available cap space, strangely enough.
Guerin said he sees him coming over to NA in 2 years

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes