Prospect Info: Liam Ohgren LW, 19th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
All I really wanted from these two picks was at least one swing for the fences, and they took that at #24.

I know little about Ohgren but he does sound a lot like a winger version of Ek, or maybe Rasmus Asplund. Give him time to develop and he's probably a safe bet to be a 3rd liner? Maybe more? Teams need those players, too.

Think more goal-scoring orientation than JEE. Landeskog-lite.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Think more goal-scoring orientation than JEE. Landeskog-lite.
Not as grindy as Landeskog, though? I'm thinking that his game is more like Forsberg's. Offensively inclined, good size, decent but not blazing speed. Knows how to score, at home on the PP, not on the PK. Strong, but not overly physical.

JEE might have a similar frame, but is completely different type of player.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Yeah, maybe. But pre-draft JEE had more goal-scoring orientation than post-draft JEE did, if memory serves.
Pre-draft JEE had a really good WJCU18 tourney and a good J20 playoffs but at the end of the day, he was still 7th in league scoring and 12th in goal scored. Some may I held that hope (and I had that hope after his NHL season LAST year) but on draft day, I personally never held that optimism.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Seemed like a pretty bland pick to me. The numbers are ridiculous for j20 though. Just watched some highlights: looks like he can rip it. Hands look pretty good too. If he can be a Middle-Six, two way winger who can score I think we’ll be pretty happy.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'm okay with this pick. Not my first choice, but his stats at J20 are great.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It’s also worth noting that Djurgardens has been relegated to Allscenskan. Surprising given the talent they’ve churned out. Either way, should expect good totals from him in that league assuming proper opportunity.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Seemed like a pretty bland pick to me. The numbers are ridiculous for j20 though. Just watched some highlights: looks like he can rip it. Hands look pretty good too. If he can be a Middle-Six, two way winger who can score I think we’ll be pretty happy.
Prior to the Yurov pick, I was rather "meh" on this pick... now I'm ok with it. The combination is good.

Watch this video:

Quite the amount of torque on that shot at the 1:15 mark!

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
To note: Lekkermaki, Ostlund and Ohgren were all linemates.

Lekkermaki was the high offensive guy
Ostlund was the smaller but smarter guy.
Ohgren was the all-round guy with the shot

I personally felt Lekkermaki > Ohgren > Ostlund in terms of reliable offense

Reactions: Lapa

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he's the next gen Nino I'll be good with it

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Sounded like the expectation from Guerin was for him to be over here in a couple years. Would be nice if he’s NHL ready by the 24-25 season.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Maybe it's only because I just saw some of his highlights, but how does Ondrej Palat sound?
We just need him to sign 4-5 bridge “prove it” deals and then when he scores 100pts we’ll trade him for a bag of pucks!!!

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i hate the idea of forcing a natural left winger to play RW, however in a few years a line with boldy / rossi / ohgren could be very good. i wonder why ohgren's linemates went before him even though he scored the most goals?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
i hate the idea of forcing a natural left winger to play RW, however in a few years a line with boldy / rossi / ohgren could be very good. i wonder why ohgren's linemates went before him even though he scored the most goals?
I'd prefer he plays where he's most comfortable, but if you're going to have a player play their off-wing, it should be someone with a great shot, and luckily he's got that.

Reactions: 57special

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I love having finishers with great shots and great feel for space in the ozone on their off hand. Much easier to get pucks into the loading zone to fire.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Long term:
Kaprizov-Rossi-Yurov
Boldy-Eriksson Ek-????
Ohgren-Khusnutdinov-????

I will be shocked if one of the 2nd round picks today isn't a right handed forward. I really like that forward group. Just get them some right handed players! Even Yurov is a left handed right winger...

Reactions: Lapa

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To note: Lekkermaki, Ostlund and Ohgren were all linemates.

Lekkermaki was the high offensive guy
Ostlund was the smaller but smarter guy.
Ohgren was the all-round guy with the shot

I personally felt Lekkermaki > Ohgren > Ostlund in terms of reliable offense
Lekkerimaki stood out to me, but i also liked Ostlund's skating and inventiveness. I ignored Ohgren because he was a LW...go figure.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i found this on espn NHL draft live tracker: Latest picks, prospect analysis he may play center??????? if true i like the pick even better!
i

19. Minnesota Wild: Liam Ohgren, LW​

Team: Djurgarden Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.) | Rank: INTS8
DOB: 1/28/2004 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 187 | Shot: L
Stats: GP: 30 | G: 33 | A: 25

How he fits: Ohgren and Noah Ostlund were the top Swedish center prospects in the draft. Ostlund was off the board at No. 16 to the Sabres, leaving Ohgren at No. 19 for the Wild. Ohgren is bigger and has a better all-around game. He's more of a goal scorer than a playmaker. Ostlund was seen as having more upside, and hence went earlier. But the Wild add a center to their mix at the position that includes Marco Rossi. -- Wyshynski

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Corey Pronman has a comparable in Alex Iafallo.

Still optimistic he'll develop his shot to produce more than Iafallo.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad