Prospect Info: Liam Ohgren LW, 19th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Let’s hope he was just rusty at the WJC and he’s feeling healthy now. Good news.
I thought he looked injured. Something in hands or wrists. He’d fumble the puck whenever he had to turn. Also had a ton of shots and didn’t score.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The shooting % gives me pause. 22% is unsustainable anywhere and he's not generating a lot of assists.

Reactions: Saga of the Elk

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The shooting % gives me pause. 22% is unsustainable anywhere and he's not generating a lot of assists.
Does anyone know what his normal shooting% is? Bringing it down to 12-14% shaves about 4 goals off. I don't think that's unreasonable for a guy who's got a good shot. That puts his points scoring rate more in line with Lekkerimaki and Ostlund's, as well.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Does anyone know what his normal shooting% is? Bringing it down to 12-14% shaves about 4 goals off. I don't think that's unreasonable for a guy who's got a good shot. That puts his points scoring rate more in line with Lekkerimaki and Ostlund's, as well.

Not saying he's bad, just that he's not head and shoulders above his peers like the goals and points might suggest. Still a good thing to see him doing it, just not sure what conclusions to draw from it given the high S%.

Reactions: BagHead

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
It'll be interesting to see how its adjust to a lower shooting% but him having more goals than assists is very normal for Ohgren if you look at his past seasons, that's just the game he plays, he is a shooter.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Looking at his goals and shots in Allsvenskan last year, he was shooting at 13.8% in regular season and 19.0% in playoffs (or 15.6% total)

Wabit

May 23, 2016

TBF, if a guy is shooting 22% I'd be telling him to keep shooting and not pass.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
His scoring pace has gotten real. @Sweetnut Do you think he needs another year in the SHL, would he be able to contribute in the NHL next year, or do you think it's too close to call?
After the WJC I thought he needed another year in the SHL. But after that his play have gotten so much better, not only judging his point production, but his overall game have improved so much that I'm not so sure anymore.
He is like another player. Can't explain it in a good way. I guess just being healthy and getting stronger and more confident can do that to a player.
Just shooting from the hip, I'd say he is close to being ready. Of course, it's a pretty big step for a young guy to take to the big league and all guys are different. If he is having a great summer and puts in the work and have a sucessful training camp, everything is possible.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
After the WJC I thought he needed another year in the SHL. But after that his play have gotten so much better, not only judging his point production, but his overall game have improved so much that I'm not so sure anymore.
He is like another player. Can't explain it in a good way. I guess just being healthy and getting stronger and more confident can do that to a player.
Just shooting from the hip, I'd say he is close to being ready. Of course, it's a pretty big step for a young guy to take to the big league and all guys are different. If he is having a great summer and puts in the work and have a sucessful training camp, everything is possible.

Would he be ok with playing a year in Iowa? I don't think he'll make the team out of camp, but I would like to see him on a few call-ups during the season.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Would he be ok with playing a year in Iowa? I don't think he'll make the team out of camp, but I would like to see him on a few call-ups during the season.
Yes, I think he'd be perfectly fine with that. The guy seems to have a good head and knows that hard work is needed to get where he wants. If "coachable" is a thing, that's what he seems to be.
Starting this season he would hold on to the puck for too long and skate it around, now he's more of a give-and-go type of player. Finding position and getting ready for a shot, playing off of his linemates instead of trying too much.
A significant change.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
In today's road game vs Frölunda they lost in OT. He played most of all players on his team, 20.27. Including d-men
He assisted on the first goal 3 minutes in. Faceoff to the left, got the puck below the circle and a quick pass in front.

He was on the ice on a shorthanded goal for the other team. One of his team mates fanned on a shot and Friberg got a breakaway. Liam was in front of the crease and nearly catched him before he scored. Watch his speed on this clip. 4 players chasing Friberg and Liam is faster than all of them even though he started behind them.

His unit scored a PP goal after that, and he was in his usual spot in front of the crease but no assist.

This is looking good people! The coaches rely on him in all situations, and him getting the most TOI on the best team in the SHL is pretty big.
They are now the regular season champions with 1 game to go.

His latest 10 games: 6+6

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Last game of the regular season for them, they lost 3-2 in OT in a meaningless game for them. Their opponents needed a W to get a better matchup in the playoffs.
Liam was +2 and of course he scored again. On the other goal he was in front of the goalie providing the screen.
He got a big role on the best SHL team this season, plays on the #1 PP and SH, scoring at a top 5 rate in SHL the last 10 games.

With today's goal he went 7+6 his last 11 games of this season, which is awesome for a junior player in a low scoring league.

The goal was a rebound that he caught with his skate, and then banked off of the goalie's shoulder from behind the goal line.

Their second goal where he provided the screen.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
After a 9 days break, he is going back in action today. The 4 wild card teams have been battling for the last 2 playoff spots in 2 head to head 3 game series and FBK is going up against the 9th placed team Rögle in a 7 game series. Schedule is every other day starting with 2 home games just like in the NHL.

He finished very strong in the regular season, 7+6 in his last 11 games, and was 4th in junior scoring, playing only half of the season due to his injury. Tied for second in goal scoring behind Lekkerimäki.
RkNoNameTeamPosGPGATPPIM+/-Birthdate
188Lekkerimäki, JonathanÖHKRW461912311027:212004-07-24
245Östlund, NoahVÄXCE38121123424:122004-03-11
324Fisker Molgaard, OscarHV71LW5091221623:272005-02-18
492Öhgren, LiamFBKLW26127191223:112004-01-28
575Edstrom, DavidFRÖCE4471219817:52005-02-18

Playoffs is a different beast, but he has been stepping up before when the going gets tough. Last year in Hockeyallsvenskan, he was leading his team in goals (8) in the playoffs and fourth in points (17 gms, 8+5=13), so let's hope he can keep doing that. SHL is a whole lot different though, with more defensive structure and less run and gun style so I don't expect the same numbers here.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
After a 9 days break, he is going back in action today. The 4 wild card teams have been battling for the last 2 playoff spots in 2 head to head 3 game series and FBK is going up against the 9th placed team Rögle in a 7 game series. Schedule is every other day starting with 2 home games just like in the NHL.

He finished very strong in the regular season, 7+6 in his last 11 games, and was 4th in junior scoring, playing only half of the season due to his injury. Tied for second in goal scoring behind Lekkerimäki.
RkNoNameTeamPosGPGATPPIM+/-Birthdate
188Lekkerimäki, JonathanÖHKRW461912311027:212004-07-24
245Östlund, NoahVÄXCE38121123424:122004-03-11
324Fisker Molgaard, OscarHV71LW5091221623:272005-02-18
492Öhgren, LiamFBKLW26127191223:112004-01-28
575Edstrom, DavidFRÖCE4471219817:52005-02-18

Playoffs is a different beast, but he has been stepping up before when the going gets tough. Last year in Hockeyallsvenskan, he was leading his team in goals (8) in the playoffs and fourth in points (17 gms, 8+5=13), so let's hope he can keep doing that. SHL is a whole lot different though, with more defensive structure and less run and gun style so I don't expect the same numbers here.
I really appreciate your continued updates about Ohgren. Just needs to be said.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Ohgren’s underwhelming WJC and Yurov’s big season have obscured this 2024 surge. Another impact winger would be a massive boost to a team that relies way too much on the likes of Zuccarello, Mojo etc

Starting to get very excited about Ohgren. Him and Marat both play high-tempo, in-your-face hockey and we could definitely use some of that.

Reactions: Blue Ox

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
What a complete shit show. They were rusty, lazy, unsynced and just plain terrible. Couldn't connect 3 passes in a row, always chasing the play and lost the second period 0-5.
Falling all over the ice and lost nearly all of their battles. Home crowd went home with 6 minutes left.
They had the lead 1-0 after the first, but the shot count was 3-10. End result 2-6 could have been more. Goalie change after the second, lol.
Liam fanned on a shot in the first and had another shot later but no cigar.
He was not the worst player on the ice, but nothing to write home about.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
It's getting late early for the regular season champions, lol. They lost at home for the second game in a row, this time they got shut out! Shot count was 4-15, 4-12, 11-8 and the goals came on PP in the first (2). The last one was an empty net goal with 13 seconds left for the final result 0-3.

I don't know how to explain this, they were miles ahead of their opponents in the regular season , cruising their way to the playoffs. Maybe that's the answer, Rögle has been in playoff mode for 2 months now, fighting hard every game just to get in the wild card spot. They won their last 5 games in a late season push just to get to the playoffs, so they were really hitting the ground running while FBK had a long break.
Who knows, if nothing changes the next game we might have an epic fail, a total trainwreck coming.

Liam? He was among their best players, but that doesn't mean much when there's no help to be found. He was good on the forecheck and good in the D-zone. Had a couple of puck transports and found open ice but of course he can't do it all alone. Played at the end with the goalie pulled. Ok game for him.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
After 61 scoreless minutes, Rögle won it in 3rd OT. It was the 4th longest game in SHL history,
Liam had 33.51 TOI, 5 shots on goal and 2 wide.
On the last goal he was up high trying to block the shot, but it sailed over his shoulder and wobbled towards the goalie and somehow made its way in.

They were much better in this game, but took so many stupid penalties and Rögle scored twice on the PP. They were 50% on PP at that point. (over the whole series, lol)

Öhgren had the most TOI of all forwards on his team, he was better than most of them but couldn't score. Now they are in deep shit, going 0-3 against such an underdog is not what they or anyone else thought.

How many times have a team opened a series 0-3 and came back to win? 0 of 41....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad