Level of concern

Which issue are you most concerned about or least concerned about?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How the fans think does not affect the players in the slightest- unless maybe there is a massive chorus of boos from fans at a live game. The players and coaches do not read this forum.

Once again it's the Cheerleader Crowd worried about what others think as if all of our opinions should be in lock-step to the positive side.

Stop it.

Wtf would even be the point of the forum if we all just lock-stepped into positivity and never came out too.

The cheerleader crowd should maybe take a step on the other side and see it's really not that bad. I look forward to a lot of their whining in GDT threads when moronic coaching decisions are called out again.

And yes - worrying about the opinions of fellow fans has zero impact whatsoever on the team. Seems to be a popular shtick around here though.

Reactions: dsred

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Imagine coming off of the best regular season statistically of the modern era, and being concerned with coaching lmao

But seriously, the only legitimate concern is Ron Hainsey's minutes. We need to cut back his 5v5 minutes, or his PK minutes.

Goalies on Championship Calibre teams play a lot.

Martin Brodeur would play 75ish games and then play another 7-24 in the playoffs.
Dominik Hasek struggled with injuries, but when healthy would play 65ish games and then 7-23 in the playoffs.
Jonathan Quick played nearly 70 in one of the cup years.
Holtby was on pace to play 60+ games before injury and Washington randomly wondering if he wasn't good enough.

I feel like the goalies GP popped up recently because Murray came in as a fairly fresh rookie (playing just 44 games between the AHL/NHL), and led the Penguins to the cup, and then the next year Fleury and Murray split time, and they won the cup again. In a league that is constantly looking at the Cup Winners and trying to copy them, I feel like that was the take away from the Penguins cups, which to me, is just them having two great goalies.

Unless Sparks or Pickard turn into a Matt Murray, it's unrealistic to expect to play Andersen less games, and expect the same success as Pittsburgh. So yeah, in a perfect world, Andersen would start 55-60 games instead of 66, but it's not that big of a concern IMO.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
tenor.gif

Write that down...

Reactions: Liminality

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Imagine coming off of the best regular season statistically of the modern era, and being concerned with coaching lmao

But seriously, the only legitimate concern is Ron Hainsey's minutes. We need to cut back his 5v5 minutes, or his PK minutes.
weird how you think being concerned with coaching is laughable, and then say that Hainsey's minutes are a legitimate concern, as they're directly attributable to coaching

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Goalies on Championship Calibre teams play a lot.

Martin Brodeur would play 75ish games and then play another 7-24 in the playoffs.
Dominik Hasek struggled with injuries, but when healthy would play 65ish games and then 7-23 in the playoffs.
Jonathan Quick played nearly 70 in one of the cup years.
Holtby was on pace to play 60+ games before injury and Washington randomly wondering if he wasn't good enough.

I feel like the goalies GP popped up recently because Murray came in as a fairly fresh rookie (playing just 44 games between the AHL/NHL), and led the Penguins to the cup, and then the next year Fleury and Murray split time, and they won the cup again. In a league that is constantly looking at the Cup Winners and trying to copy them, I feel like that was the take away from the Penguins cups, which to me, is just them having two great goalies.

Unless Sparks or Pickard turn into a Matt Murray, it's unrealistic to expect to play Andersen less games, and expect the same success as Pittsburgh. So yeah, in a perfect world, Andersen would start 55-60 games instead of 66, but it's not that big of a concern IMO.

Can you imagine what might happen if our fans cared about playoff success?

Reactions: dsred

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
How the fans think does not affect the players in the slightest- unless maybe there is a massive chorus of boos from fans at a live game. The players and coaches do not read this forum.

Once again it's the Cheerleader Crowd worried about what others think as if all of our opinions should be in lock-step to the positive side.

Stop it.
Huh? I didn't say it would affect the players at all. Don't imply things I don't mean thanks.

Cheerleader crowd? How old are you? Like I said I'm most worried about the conspiracy fans who love to try and find faults in everything cause they're all jaded from their old age and losing.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Huh? I didn't say it would affect the players at all. Don't imply things I don't mean thanks.

Cheerleader crowd? How old are you? Like I said I'm most worried about the conspiracy fans who love to try and find faults in everything cause they're all jaded from their old age and losing.
My point is that it doesn't affect the players, not yours. So who cares if "a few posters will go ballistic"? Other posters here? Why?

The rest of your post proves my point re: "worrying" what other posters think and then denigrating them for daring to have a different opinion then yours.

Thanks.

PS- Oh and before you go off that I'm doing the same thing keep in mind that I am responding to posts like yours. I want to debate opinions about the Leafs not about other posters but I won't put up with this nonsense any more.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
weird how you think being concerned with coaching is laughable, and then say that Hainsey's minutes are a legitimate concern, as they're directly attributable to coaching

Technically a Fair Point. However I think you and I know there is a difference between "being concerned about the overall coaching" and "being concerned about one aspect of the coaching".

Which, "Ron Hainsey" plays too much may not even be a coaching critique. Other options on the right side are Zaitsev, Carrick and Ozhiganov. So unless one is a believer in Carrick, or feel one of Dermott or Gardiner should play minutes on the right side, it's hard to blame Hainsey playing a lot on Babcock, but rather management not allowing Babcock to put players in proper roles due to a lack of ability.

As someone who is a big believer in Connor Carrick, and I feel he should be one to help ease minutes from Hainsey at either 5v5 or PK, then technically I have A concern with Babcock's coaching.

However, that does not mean I am concerned about the coaching overall

Can you imagine what might happen if our fans cared about playoff success?

Good Point. Only people who care about playoff success are the ones who bash Babcock. Despite him coaching the team to the playoffs in 2/2 years since finishing dead last.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Im concerned we get ahead of ourselves a bit, and to costs us a little in the regular season. This is where Babs has to keep cracking the whip, for the first time we know we're an elite team.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Technically a Fair Point. However I think you and I know there is a difference between "being concerned about the overall coaching" and "being concerned about one aspect of the coaching".

Which, "Ron Hainsey" plays too much may not even be a coaching critique. Other options on the right side are Zaitsev, Carrick and Ozhiganov. So unless one is a believer in Carrick, or feel one of Dermott or Gardiner should play minutes on the right side, it's hard to blame Hainsey playing a lot on Babcock, but rather management not allowing Babcock to put players in proper roles due to a lack of ability.

As someone who is a big believer in Connor Carrick, and I feel he should be one to help ease minutes from Hainsey at either 5v5 or PK, then technically I have A concern with Babcock's coaching.

However, that does not mean I am concerned about the coaching overall
yeah this is fair. I'm concerned with some aspects of coaching (probably more than you are), but it's not like it's a huge issue as a whole. There's simply not much to complain about though

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Good Point. Only people who care about playoff success are the ones who bash Babcock. Despite him coaching the team to the playoffs in 2/2 years since finishing dead last.

The first playoff year was a bonus. Last year was a disappointment. There needs to be progress.

Participation Trophies are not enough.

Reactions: Cor

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I'm most concerned about Babcock's coaching. We were one of the worst teams with entering and exiting the zone with possession and I'm scared who is going to be the new Polak , Leo and Martin. Aka players who don't deserve to be playing but are.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
yeah this is fair. I'm concerned with some aspects of coaching (probably more than you are), but it's not like it's a huge issue as a whole. There's simply not much to complain about though

I think this is a huge point.

This is arguablly the most talented Leaf team we have had since.... probably the cup winning team. 93' and 99'/02' were great teams, but in terms of youth and talent, this team probably has them beat.

So what are the main issues? Who our backup goalie will be, whether Leivo will be our 4LW or a scratch, and the usage of Ron Hainsey? :laugh:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

This is arguablly the most talented Leaf team we have had since.... probably the cup winning team. 93' and 99'/02' were great teams, but in terms of youth and talent, this team probably has them beat.

So what are the main issues? Who our backup goalie will be, whether Leivo will be our 4LW or a scratch, and the usage of Ron Hainsey? :laugh:
don't forget Matthews didn't get a letter

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The first playoff year was a bonus. Last year was a disappointment. There needs to be progress.

I'm of the opinion that a few simple decisions could have made a massive impact in the standings last year.

#1 - playing Dermott right from day 1

#2 - Healthy scratching/4th lining Komarov right from day 1

#3 - Going with a 4th line of Johnsson-X-Kapanen right from day one of Komarov's injury.

Who knows how many more points we could have gotten from doing these shit-simple obvious moves right from day 1.

Last edited:

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I'm most concerned about Babcock's coaching. We were one of the worst teams with entering and exiting the zone with possession and I'm scared who is going to be the new Polak , Leo and Martin. Aka players who don't deserve to be playing but are.
lol Babs loves his few plugs that he will rely on for the season!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Our PK was 66.7% against Boston, dead last in the playoffs. Hainsey being run into the ground played a big factor in this. This definitely isn't on Babcock, he's only working with what he's got. It's on Dubas to acquire another defensemen to help this. I criticized Babcock for his forward usage but definitely not for his defense-usage, he did an absolute fantastic job in that regard, especially on the PK. I have no idea how we ended up as 11th best on the PK in the regular season with the extremely limited personnel we have, Babcock gets lots of credit for that. He always ran a terrific PK in Detroit too.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

If the first playoff years was a bonus and unexpected, then wouldn't last year be about right with the development? It's not like they lost to the 8th seed. It was the 4th best team in the East, losing to the 2nd best team in the East.

This is the first year with any sort of pressure. This team should win a round, if not two, if not three. However we are still probably two seasons away from "lack of playoff success" being a reason to fire Babcock. If the Leafs continue to get eliminated in Round 1.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The wingers will be an area of interest.

Beyond Marner and Marleau, the Leafs look kind of thin.

To say the defense is a problem or the goalie is a problem is to neglect how poorly the wingers played in their own zone.

Half the goals allowed it seemed were from point shots last season. Going into this season, Uncle Leo the biggest and best defensive winger the Leafs had is gone.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Our PK was 66.7% against Boston, dead last in the playoffs. Hainsey being run into the ground played a big factor in this. This definitely isn't on Babcock, he's only working with what he's got. It's on Dubas to acquire another defensemen to help this. I criticized Babcock for his forward usage but definitely not for his defense-usage, he did an absolute fantastic job in that regard, especially on the PK. I have no idea how we ended up as 11th best on the PK in the regular season with the extremely limited personnel we have, Babcock gets lots of credit for that. He always ran a terrific PK in Detroit too.

I don't disagree.

The only thing I would say is that Babcock needs to trust Dermott and Carrick to take some PK minutes from Hainsey and Zaitsev. There were times where Hainsey and Zaitsev would play the two full minutes of a penalty kill, sometimes multiple times in games. I don't think we can expect them to do that.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The wingers will be an area of interest.

Beyond Marner and Marleau, the Leafs look kind of thin.

To say the defense is a problem or the goalie is a problem is to neglect how poorly the wingers played in their own zone.

Half the goals allowed it seemed were from point shots last season. Going into this season, Uncle Leo the biggest and best defensive winger the Leafs had is gone.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The PK has been really bad in general, only masked by Andersen being really good. Only 3 teams have had a worse expected goals against rate on the PK than the Leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad