Let's try to decide who are our "untouchables"

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hahahaha, remove Zibanejad cause he is 19 years old struggling a bit in the AHL.

Remember when Nino got 1 point in 55 NHL games last year? But tearing up the A this year and scouts calling him dynamic.

I do agree that he can still be traded, but I'd trade him in a package for another team's "untouchable"

source

Jul 13, 2008
Spezza, Karlsson, Cowen

That's not to say that guys like Lehner and Silfverberg are being shopped, but they need to cement themselves as NHLers before I can put them in the "untouchable" category.

This post.

But I voted for Lehner too.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
You guys are ridiculous. You can't put players who have never proven themselves in the NHL as untouchable.

The only players that are untouchable are proven young players that you build your team around (Karlsson, Cowen) or players that have been with your team season after seaon (Neil, Phillips, Spezza) these guys have basically become the "franchise". Superstar status doesn't even really matter (see: nash)

Lol @ so many ppl voting Lehner. Ya he's amazing goalie but he isn't "untouchable" good players get traded all the time.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Lol @ so many ppl voting Lehner. Ya he's amazing goalie but he isn't "untouchable" good players get traded all the time.
Similar reason to why 1st overall picks are untouchable. Lehner is expected to become a very strong #1 goalie here. Obviously if any team offered a top 10 goalie for Lehner, you'd do it, making Lehner not untouchable.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
You guys are ridiculous. You can't put players who have never proven themselves in the NHL as untouchable.

The only players that are untouchable are proven young players that you build your team around (Karlsson, Cowen) or players that have been with your team season after seaon (Neil, Phillips, Spezza) these guys have basically become the "franchise". Superstar status doesn't even really matter (see: nash)

Crosby was untouchable before he played 1 game in the NHL.

Nash got traded because he personally asked to be traded.

A potential franchise goalie can be untouchable. Lehner is somewhat proven in the NHL.

source

Jul 13, 2008
The dude has a point.

You could make a strong case that this group includes only Karlsson and Spezza, as they have substantially more value than anyone else on the team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The dude has a point.

You could make a strong case that this group includes only Karlsson and Spezza, as they have substantially more value than anyone else on the team.

That's true but considering Lehner's potential and already accomplished resume. It's hard to imagine that whoever Lehner gets traded for will have a stronger impact than the impact Lehner can have on this team. Unless we trade Lehner for a young starting goaltender.

source

Jul 13, 2008
That's true but considering Lehner's potential and already accomplished resume. It's hard to imagine that whoever Lehner gets traded for will have a stronger impact than the impact Lehner can have on this team. Unless we trade Lehner for a young starting goaltender.

He has huge potential, but it's still potential.

Karlsson
Spezza
Cowen
Lehner
Silfverberg

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
People have different definition of untouchable. From one extreme (would you say no to Crosby??) to the other (Bunch of untouchable Leafs propects)

I don't think anyone has thought this.

I'm just saying that is probably around his worth/value. Is that a trade you would make?

I wouldn't deal Ceci unless a guy like Ryan or Perry was coming back.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He has huge potential, but it's still potential.

Karlsson
Spezza
Cowen
Lehner
Silfverberg

Yes but you need to see the potential to risk ratio. The chance he can reach the potential. In his games for Ottawa, he has look spectacular last year. He has taken some of that potential and actually applied it in the NHL.

I agree with your list though.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008

Untouchables are not permanent you are allowed to change your opinion on a player after watching them play more often, they have bad years, they get injured or they don't work out. Trading Lehner right now would be stupid.

Look what the Islanders did by getting rid of Spezza and Chara for Yashin. Do you want that to happen to us?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No one is untouchable. It's silly to say otherwise.

I've come to realize that when people here say "this guy is untouchable", they really mean "I don't think another GM would offer what I'd want in return to move him".

Yeah it's more like it. It comes to the point that it's unrealistic to expect the player to be moved.

Like Alfredsson for example. He means so much to the Sens that it would require a massive overpayment from another team and no GM would be ready to pay the price. Another reason why players like Toews, Stamkos, Doughty, Crosby... don't get traded. Too important for their team

Of course, anyone can be traded as Gretzky got traded before.

I think Karlsson and Spezza are now in that category and the rest (Lehner, Cowen, Silf, Zib, Turris) is who I want to build around

If the right offer comes around, nobody is untouchable. But I will play the game.

That's the point

Hmmm... I realize I shouldn't have used the word "untouchable" as it creates confusion...

If you read the OP for more than 10 secs, you understand that it's more about who we want to build the team around... Not "untouchable" like "even if you offer me Malkin, Crosby and Letang I would say NO!"

Brad Peltz for me most def.

I had him at 8th but didn't select him because I wanted only 7 guys (1 goalie, 2 D-men, 2 Centers, 2 Wingers)

:sarcasm:

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
I would have to say, even though there are many players on our team that I would like to retain, there isn't truely anyone untouchable because that idea is flawed to begin with. There is always the possibility out there that in the right situation a player could be moved if the return was significant. If Wayne Gretzky can be traded, anyone can be traded (baring a NTC/NMC :P).

With that disclaimer out of the way... my hypothetical list!

Spezza: Need to retain out franchise center
Karlsson: #1 Dman and Norris winner at a reasonable caphit? Yes, please.
Turris: Provides a good option at 2C if he continues to improve, + reasonable long term contract.
Cowen: Could be a cornerstone on our D for the next decade. If he can rise to the occasion he can be #2 guy, otherwise he would still turn into a solid 2nd pairing + PK guy.
Silfverburg: With such an amazing season in the SEL + a great start in Bingo, we have to hold onto this guy to see what he can achieve going forward.
Lehner: Again, some amazing numbers show this guy could be our goalie of the future.

These guys are of course all available for the proper overpayment... but truely likely not to be moved. Anyone else is up for grabs for the right return in the right situation (For example, Michalek for NHL ready/near ready blue chips if we are out of the playoffs). Also note that these guys are all young, minus Spezza (who still has a long career at this point), so they are the true building blocks of our team moving forward.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Mine are Spezza, Karlsson, Cowen, Lehner, Turris.

Silfverberg is close but If I could trade him for a #2 young dman it would be done really quick.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Karlsson, Alfie, and Spezza, unless a better #1 center is coming back or Turris develops into one.

I'm open to trading any other player if the value is good enough.

Have no idea why people are listing prospects as untouchables, when they haven't even proved yet that they can stay in the NHL for an extended period of time.

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
Karlsson
Spezza
Turris
Cowen
Lehner
Neil

Zack Smith as someone whom I doubt would be untouchable but def a guy I really like and don't want to see moved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad