Let's try to decide who are our "untouchables"

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Wow. Our highest Draft pick outside of Spezza (which was traded for) since Chris Phillips (who is like, really old) is viewed as "very touchable" by this fan base.

Anyone can be traded so let's skip any argument about that. But if you think about it, Mika Zibanejad is not a player that should be considered trade bait. If he's as crappy as everyone here thinks he is, no one is going to give you anything of significance back for him so it's a waste to give up on him now. If he's still that top flight prospect that so many fail to recognize, only a great offer coming back will make it happen and that's true of any player period.

For now, he should be untouchable...unless the right offer comes along of course.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
It would take a huge overpayment for me to move Lehner, Silfverberg, Spezza or Cowen but I suppose it could happen. I can't envision any scenerio where a team would offer enough to move Karlsson or Neil.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So far, the consensus about is that "our future" (assuming the vast majority understood the point of the thread) should be built around :

xxxxxx-Spezza (85%)-xxxxxx
xxxxxx-Turris (41%)-Silfverberg (56%)
xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx
xxxxxx-xxxxxx-Neil (24%)

Cowen (50%)-Karlsson (98%)
xxxxxx-xxxxxx
xxxxxx-xxxxxx

Lehner (73%)
xxxxxx

A few prospects getting votes but we probably don't know enough about them yet to know exactly where they'd fit and if they are keepers... (like Ceci and Stone)

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Lehner is nowhere close to proven...

Come back when he's got at least 70+ games under his belt and you MIGHT have a point...

(And btw, I love Lehner as much as the next guy but c'mon)

I said somewhat proven. As in not fully proven but has shown to be good in the NHL.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
And thats reasonable to me. The way I see it, having:

A legit, prime aged #1C
A budding #2C

A young top defensive pairing

A young potential #1 goalie

Is what EVERY team wants moving forward. They are the hardest pieces to aquire. Bottom 6 forwards, bottom 4 D men, backup goalies, and even top 6 wingers are MUCH easier to get your hands on.

And, if all goes well, when Spezza declines a little with age, he will be the perfect #2C behind Turris.

This teams future is insanely exciting to me.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Don't know if this was said, but our first rounder is untouchable in my eyes. Could be a high one.

source

Jul 13, 2008
So far, the consensus about is that "our future" (assuming the vast majority understood the point of the thread) should be built around :

xxxxxx-Spezza (85%)-xxxxxx
xxxxxx-Turris (41%)-Silfverberg (56%)
xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx
xxxxxx-xxxxxx-Neil (24%)

Cowen (50%)-Karlsson (98%)
xxxxxx-xxxxxx
xxxxxx-xxxxxx

Lehner (73%)
xxxxxx

A few prospects getting votes but we probably don't know enough about them yet to know exactly where they'd fit and if they are keepers... (like Ceci and Stone)

So we have a ton of holes.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
And thats reasonable to me. The way I see it, having:

A legit, prime aged #1C
A budding #2C

A young top defensive pairing

A young potential #1 goalie

Is what EVERY team wants moving forward. They are the hardest pieces to aquire. Bottom 6 forwards, bottom 4 D men, backup goalies, and even top 6 wingers are MUCH easier to get your hands on.

And, if all goes well, when Spezza declines a little with age, he will be the perfect #2C behind Turris.

This teams future is insanely exciting to me.

Yea, we have the core needed to be a championship team every year in the near future.

Adding pieces like Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Wiercioch, Ceci, Michalek and we'd be a powerhouse for years to come.

If Murray can lock up a guy like Perry for the foreseeable future, I see this team contending as soon as the next couple of years. That's what he tried doing with Nash this past off-season.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I do not believe we have to lock up anyone other than those in our system and we will be a contender for years to come.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It's also incredible how much cap-space we have. Top 3 highest available in the league. Wow, talk about asset management. This is without considering Gonchar's 5.5 off the books next year where we can use on a UFA or Wiercioch can replace him etc...

Bryan Murray has done a phenomenal job to date, he is a couple pieces away from an unbelievable turn-around.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
This team's future does look bright. :)

Although the lack of respect a certain 35-goal scorer is getting in this thread from his own fanbase (and he's not old, he's only 27, should have a good 10 more years in him) is amazing to me.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
It's also incredible how much cap-space we have. Top 3 highest available in the league. Wow, talk about asset management. This is without considering Gonchar's 5.5 off the books next year where we can use on a UFA or Wiercioch can replace him etc...

Bryan Murray has done a phenomenal job to date, he is a couple pieces away from an unbelievable turn-around.

I always see that point thrown around. Problem is cap space means nothing if the owner is unwilling to spend to the cap. Melnyk has made it clear he will "spend to win" but will not be able to "spend with those goliaths". So I would say the team has an internal cap that is not going to be at that 64mil mark making Ottawa's total cap space irrelevant without getting inside Melnyk's head.

I really hope at some point that he considers taking on more investors or partners. Almost every Stanley Cup Champion has spent to or above that cap IIRC, so if Melnyk is not willing to do that the "promise" the Ottawa Senators show will never be realized.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I always see that point thrown around. Problem is cap space means nothing if the owner is unwilling to spend to the cap. Melnyk has made it clear he will "spend to win" but will not be able to "spend with those goliaths". So I would say the team has an internal cap that is not going to be at that 64mil mark making Ottawa's total cap space irrelevant without getting inside Melnyk's head.

I really hope at some point that he considers taking on more investors or partners. Almost every Stanley Cup Champion has spent to or above that cap IIRC, so if Melnyk is not willing to do that the "promise" the Ottawa Senators show will never be realized.

Melnyk spent like crazy to the Cap when we were better. I think Kovalev was him getting involved in the hockey management of the team... thinking spending on anyone is better than not once other UFAs were gone. I think Melynyk was taught a lesson and started listening to his hockey people. I totally believe Melynyk will spend to the Cap when we are ready to do so. I think he is more ready to do it than the Murray's are. I think we are waiting... under Murray's watch... waiting for the opportunity to get a couple of top level players... in trade or as UFA. Murray tried for Nash. Murray's hands are not tied on money at all. I think anyway. I think it is about making the best hockey decisions. And if we can go deep in the playoffs... we make back the difference in salary anyway.

We don't need quantity now... we need quality... HIGH quality. We already have a very good team that is going to get better at the cap minimum. We are waiting... for the right player to come available and we will get him and sign him long term at the market rate... or two players like that. Even three we could manage. At the deadline or in the offseason or even in a year or two... that is what we are waiting for.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Melnyk spent like crazy to the Cap when we were better. I think Kovalev was him getting involved in the hockey management of the team... thinking spending on anyone is better than not once other UFAs were gone. I think Melynyk was taught a lesson and started listening to his hockey people. I totally believe Melynyk will spend to the Cap when we are ready to do so. I think he is more ready to do it than the Murray's are. I think we are waiting... under Murray's watch... waiting for the opportunity to get a couple of top level players... in trade or as UFA. Murray tried for Nash. Murray's hands are not tied on money at all. I think anyway. I think it is about making the best hockey decisions. And if we can go deep in the playoffs... we make back the difference in salary anyway.

We don't need quantity now... we need quality... HIGH quality. We already have a very good team that is going to get better at the cap minimum. We are waiting... for the right player to come available and we will get him and sign him long term at the market rate... or two players like that. Even three we could manage. At the deadline or in the offseason or even in a year or two... that is what we are waiting for.

This was also before he got into a huge legal battle in relation to his company and got divorced. Reality is Melnyk is not as rich as he once was, so even when he says they will spend I doubt it will be right to the cap. Only way I see him spending to the cap is if this new CBA really helps smaller market teams like Ottawa and he is playing players Ottawa has developed.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Karlsson, Cowen, Lehner, Silf and Ceci.

Ceci probably seems silly to include, but I needed to see more before I can tell if the Doughty comparison is good or bad. If good, I won't move him.

I didn't include Spezza cause I think I would move him if an offer for a younger stud C came up. I just worry that Spezza will be on the downside when we're ready to peek as a team. But it would take a VERY good deal to get me to listen.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
This was also before he got into a huge legal battle in relation to his company and got divorced. Reality is Melnyk is not as rich as he once was, so even when he says they will spend I doubt it will be right to the cap. Only way I see him spending to the cap is if this new CBA really helps smaller market teams like Ottawa and he is playing players Ottawa has developed.

The Sens break even or make a profit... Melnyk is He can surivive owning the Sens and the arena if all his other businesses have failed... I don't think they have but... the reason we have a lowish payrol is because we are rebuilding not because Melynyk is cheap!

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
This team's future does look bright. :)

Although the lack of respect a certain 35-goal scorer is getting in this thread from his own fanbase (and he's not old, he's only 27, should have a good 10 more years in him) is amazing to me.

If he does it again, I will maybe include him but I feel he will never repeat those stats again.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The Sens break even or make a profit... Melnyk is He can surivive owning the Sens and the arena if all his other businesses have failed... I don't think they have but... the reason we have a lowish payrol is because we are rebuilding not because Melynyk is cheap!

Agreed. Melnyk will spend to the cap because he wants the Cup badly. He's not doing it now because there really isn't a reason for it.

Murray went hard after Nash and Melnyk was behind the move IIRC, that shows he wants to build a winner but due to his financial troubles he won't just spend crazily on anyone.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Agreed. Melnyk will spend to the cap because he wants the Cup badly. He's not doing it now because there really isn't a reason for it.

Murray went hard after Nash and Melnyk was behind the move IIRC, that shows he wants to build a winner but due to his financial troubles he won't just spend crazily on anyone.

Really, I don't mind this strategy either, especially in light of next year's cap coming down. Really puts Murray and the organization in an enviable position going into next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad