Let's try to decide who are our "untouchables"

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Really, I don't mind this strategy either, especially in light of next year's cap coming down. Really puts Murray and the organization in an enviable position going into next year.

Lot of cap space+ bunch of prospects+ possible huge UFA's can give Ottawa the option to make a trade for a big-time player that can't fit in a team's budget or sign a big-time player or possibly even both with relative ease.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So we have a ton of holes.

Yes and no... Of course we do if you are talking about "building blocks". I'm not sure if there's any team that has 12 forwards, 6 D-men and 2 goalies that they have built around and which they will never look to trade unless another team was making an offer they couldn't refuse, because this is the case for your "untouchables". Guys like Stamkos or Jonathan Quick are not on the market. A team could "try" to acquire them but I seriously doubt anyone could afford to put the price it would require to acquire them

I'm not sure if you understood the meaning of this thread.

It's also incredible how much cap-space we have. Top 3 highest available in the league. Wow, talk about asset management. This is without considering Gonchar's 5.5 off the books next year where we can use on a UFA or Wiercioch can replace him etc...

Bryan Murray has done a phenomenal job to date, he is a couple pieces away from an unbelievable turn-around.

And Alfie's cap hit is also going to disappear soon. What's funny is that several posters talked about Murray as the worst "cap and asset manager in the league" a few years ago... What they failed to realized is at that time, we had a stacked team (with too many stars in relation to the salary cap) and we were just coming out of a SCF run with many expiring contracts. Of course, we had to re-sign guys like Emery, Fisher, Kelly, Heatley, Spezza, etc.

Murray inherited Muckler's mess and no quality prospects that would have given him options to play with the cap...

I have been called out so many times for defending him, but "I'm still standing here screaming "**** THE FREE WORLD!"

:sarcasm:

This team's future does look bright. :)

Although the lack of respect a certain 35-goal scorer is getting in this thread from his own fanbase (and he's not old, he's only 27, should have a good 10 more years in him) is amazing to me.

Very true. But even though I "respect" Michalek a lot more than the majority of this board, I still haven't voted for him in the poll because he's not a guy I'm building around. I see him as a high end complimentary player, he's here for now but if the right deal comes along at some point, I'd be open to move him. Not YET though, we need him for now.

If he does it again, I will maybe include him but I feel he will never repeat those stats again.

To be honest, he was very productive in San Jose surrounded by talent... however the Sens developped him in more of a goal scorer.

Michalek has a 53 pts per 82 games career average... and he was a regular in the NHL at 21 y/o

Last edited:

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
Cap space is mostly useless since most players that command a significant cap hit end up being retained by their original teams. The only advantage it provides is with player retention, but for the short-term especially with Karlsson, Turris, Michalek and Spezza locked up (the latter two aren't likely to get bank breaking raises at the end of their contracts), there are no other players in our system that will command that type of money especially the kind that is going to go off the books (Gonchar & Alfie).

Generally, all you end up doing with extra cap space is spending the money signing mediocre to average players in the UFA market at overpriced contracts (see the Leafs a few years ago). The only way cap space became valuable in the past would be in a situation where a star player wants out of his team because the number of bidders was significantly reduced due to cap restrictions. Of course, all of this could be moot with the new CBA and it is difficult to predict how teams will behave moving forward, especially now that teams can trade cap space.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I would say the fairly obvious ones are Jason Spezza and Erik Karlsson. Beyond that it's hard to say, though I would likely include Robin Lehner in that group.

Cowen: If he can stay healthy I would include him. Even in his rookie season he showed a bit of offensive ability, and his defence was top notch. A huge defenceman with good skating and the ability to read the game is invaluable.

Turris: If he can build on last season and put up a similar or better season this year I would put him in the untouchables (as long as he wants to play here). He's got the talent, and if he's happy in Ottawa it will show. Could be our future #1 down the middle.

Silfverberg: If he can bring over what he's shown in the SEL it will be a no brainer. He looked decent in the playoff stint last year, but he was tired and playing on short notice. High expectations playing on the top line. If he doesn't disappoint I'd say he's near untouchable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad