Speculation: Let's Talk Contracts - RFA Qualifying Offers Due June 25th, 2019

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I’m super excited for Elie’s, just to see what the debate is. Maybe it’s 700k vs 700k, but also 1-way vs 2-way?

He’s only seeing NHL time this year if there’s a lot of injuries, or were stupid again.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I can't knock a guy for trying to get as much as he can but I'm hoping the arbiter sees which number McCabe's value is closer to.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I can't knock a guy for trying to get as much as he can but I'm hoping the arbiter sees which number McCabe's value is closer to.

Yeah, it's not like he's actually asking for what he thinks his real value is, he's aiming high and going to arbitration. I'm hoping we settle on a $3M AAV deal with term before the hearing. At the very least, I think that would be very reasonable for a bottom 4 defenseman, and if he eventually gets pushed out of the lineup it's still very tradeable.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I haven't looked at comps, so shame on me, but my thought was $2.5-2.6M for 2 years.
I suppose I'd do $3M for 4 years. Probably.
IMO, opting for the two year term is the best means to protect trade value.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Yeah, it's not like he's actually asking for what he thinks his real value is, he's aiming high and going to arbitration. I'm hoping we settle on a $3M AAV deal with term before the hearing. At the very least, I think that would be very reasonable for a bottom 4 defenseman, and if he eventually gets pushed out of the lineup it's still very tradeable.
Eh... Calling McCabe a bottom 4 defensemen is generous. He's a bottom 2 on most teams. I actually feel like a 4 year deal at $3 Million would be one of the worst contracts on the team. It's the type of contract teams are trying to rid themselves of as the NHL keeps moving towards large contracts back filled with entry level contracts and cheap depth.

The best outcome would probably be a 2 year contract somewhere around $2.25 Million. He's a tradeable asset in that range and that's exactly what he should be looked at as.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I haven't looked at comps, so shame on me, but my thought was $2.5-2.6M for 2 years.
I suppose I'd do $3M for 4 years. Probably.
IMO, opting for the two year term is the best means to protect trade value.

2.5 for two is very realistic, for what he brings to the table. His max value is 3M based on his overall ability in his game from the eye test. He's crazy to file for that, but good for him.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Eh... Calling McCabe a bottom 4 defensemen is generous. He's a bottom 2 on most teams. I actually feel like a 4 year deal at $3 Million would be one of the worst contracts on the team. It's the type of contract teams are trying to rid themselves of as the NHL keeps moving towards large contracts back filled with entry level contracts and cheap depth.

The best outcome would probably be a 2 year contract somewhere around $2.25 Million. He's a tradeable asset in that range and that's exactly what he should be looked at as.

Admittedly I'm a bit biased, I've had a soft spot for McCabe since his time in college. That being said I don't see him being too far off from a player like Dumoulin

upload_2019-8-2_13-4-6.png

I think his perceived value among Sabres fans is low based on his performance in a poor system coaching and with poor forward support. I also think your statement about him being a bottom 2 is off; his value lies as a complimentary player. Last year in a limited sample him and McCabe played extremely well together, posting a 56% xGF

upload_2019-8-2_13-10-56.png

He could absolutely leave here someday and disappear like Mike Weber, but I tend to think of him more like McNabb - a player that provides some sandpaper, is a nice complimentary piece, but one that we undervalue

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
McCabe’s ask is obviously way high.
Buffalo’s is a bit low, but closer in line to what seems fair IMO.

I’m not sure what his comparables look like. He was at a $1.6M cap hit.
I was thinking something like $2.5M.

Do we know if Buffalo has requested a 1 or 2 year deal yet?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

New king of optimism?

You certainly get the sense that the agents (at least McCabe's and Ullmark's) feel that the organization is lowballing them, so they're going to go off the deep end in the other direction. And, frankly, this stupid system rewards it. If we had baseball's final-offer arbitration, the parties would be far more reasonable with their asks knowing that if they aren't, the other side's number will be selected.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
McCabe’s ask is obviously way high.
Buffalo’s is a bit low, but closer in line to what seems fair IMO.

I’m not sure what his comparables look like. He was at a $1.6M cap hit.
I was thinking something like $2.5M.

Do we know if Buffalo has requested a 1 or 2 year deal yet?

They don't have to opt for that until after the award. I would assume they would go with 1-year so they retain another opportunity to sign him as an RFA next summer.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
They don't have to opt for that until after the award. I would assume they would go with 1-year so they retain another opportunity to sign him as an RFA next summer.
No, term is elected in the brief submitted by the team or player (depending on who didn't elect arbitration).

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If the arbitrator awards McCabe closer to his ask then the Sabres we can walk away right? I would rather relinquish his rights then pay him near 4 million dollars. No part of his game screams 4 million dollar dman. He has not reached the potential that we thought he had when he was coming up into the league. He is a #5 dman type not a top 4.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If the arbitrator awards McCabe closer to his ask then the Sabres we can walk away right? I would rather relinquish his rights then pay him near 4 million dollars. No part of his game screams 4 million dollar dman. He has not reached the potential that we thought he had when he was coming up into the league. He is a #5 dman type not a top 4.

No, as @dotcommunism mentioned, his ask is right below the walk away cut off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad