Lets talk about William Nylander.

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
William Nylander has nice golden hair; reminds me of Rapunzel. Please continue...

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
20 goal, 60 point first liners deserve 8 year contracts more than $6 million per?

What on earth is happening?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
List of comparable players based on age, scoring and withing 2 years of signing their respective contacts(for inflation purposes)

David Pastrnak RW: 6 years x 6.6 mil. More of a high end comparable, had a 70 point season before he signed his contract.

Bo Horvat Center: 6 years x 5.5 mil. Had a team leading 52 point season before signed his contract, playing center in respect to Nylanders future as a center if its brought up.

Alexander Wennberg Center: 6 years x 4.9mil.

Alexander Drouin LW: 6 years x 5.5 mil.

Nikolaj Ehlers LW: He will be used as a comparable IF he signs before Nylander does. Similar career paces as Nylander.

Dylan Larkin Center: Also a comparable IF he signs before Nylander does. Good mix of center and wing, playing center full time now with very similar stats this year.

Only used 2013 and 2014 players here since they are the best matches for Nylander, if Ehlers or Larkin sign first those would be near identical contracts that Willy would sign for imo.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s a VERY good young player, huge fan of his game. He’s obviously electric offensively, surprisingly strong on the puck, and has a better defensive game than he gets credit for. If we can sign him to an Ehlers/Pastrnak type deal, that’d be awesome - both of those guys signed very reasonable contracts. Anything up to $7 mil/year I’d be quite happy with, as long as we can lock him down long term.

LeafsBro

34 I 91 I 16
Oct 18, 2011
Barrie, Ontario
He’s had a down year offensively, which is almost a blessing in disguise in that we might not have to pay him so much. I fully expect him to be much more consistent next year.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
He is not a 7m plus a year player. His slots in at 6m per on a long term deal and less then that at less term.

I say he gets a short term contract if we see him as a center and a longer term deal if we see him as a winger. He has only played a limited amount of games as a center and he will need to establish value as a center so that we can slot him in on the pay scale he deserves.
Lou favours the longer term for smaller AAV. I just can't see him signing for anything less than 7 years.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Except statistically Nylander is not a comparable (equal) of goals, assists or points compared to Pastrnak, falling below his totals last season or this one.

Nylander could fall between Ehlers and Pastrnak in terms of contract.

Leafs management also got to see Nylander (without Matthews) and his impact and production fell off without him, so how much is Auston influencing Nylander statistically will be something management uses as a bargaining chip in contract talks.

Willy has this years playoffs to solidify his next deal by how much impact he has in them.

Pretty much. Leafs Brass could quite easily play hardball and use Drouin (53pts,0.73ppg=5.5mil ) and Ehlers (64pts/0.78ppg=6.0mil) as comparables for willy this year (54pts/0.72ppg)

I'm not against giving willy a little bit extra for an extra year and accounting for the cap rise, but 6.25x8 (50 mil) would be my max. I don't see how he could possibly turn that down. any more than that and he is expecting Pastrnak/Gaudreau money, both guys who were already 70+pt players

Cory Kennedy

Mar 24, 2018
Ontario
Why pay a premium for a guy who will not top 25 goals and is a total non factor in the playoffs? Leafs should be looking to unload him for a defenseman.

Soft, one trick ponies, who play on the perimeter are not that hard to find.
You do know Nylander has only played 3 seasons right?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
People slagging Nylander’s points are so out to lunch that it makes me laugh.

It may be a blessing in disguise contract wise but the only reason Nylander(and Matthews) haven’t exploded offensively this year is because of their PP performance. Nylander has been great at producing at even strength.

Hopefully the leafs lock him up long term at a good deal because he’s ready to explode.

Cory Kennedy

Mar 24, 2018
Ontario
People slagging Nylander’s points are so out to lunch that it makes me laugh.

It may be a blessing in disguise contract wise but the only reason Nylander(and Matthews) haven’t exploded offensively this year is because of their PP performance. Nylander has been great at producing at even strength.

Hopefully the leafs lock him up long term at a good deal because he’s ready to explode.
In my opinion I think Nylander and Marner are just as good

Reactions: Walshy7

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
Pastrnak is the closest comparable for Nylander and Marner. I'm hoping they both sign for 6.5m x 6 years. Might end up being 7x6 though at the higher end.

Pastrnak is better than Nylander, as of now...

So if Pastrnak got 6.6/year .... Nylander, I'd say --- should be looking @5.5-6/year

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
lol the Dave Poulin poster, I had to show ignored content for that beauty comment.

If Pastrnak didn't get $7M, I don't see how Willie will get it.

6x6 lets goooooooo

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I would give both Marner and Willy 6.25 for 8 years and would be very happy. Those contracts would look amazing in a few years with the rising cap and hopefully improved performances

Reactions: Walshy7

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Compared to last season, Nylander's PP production has dropped significantly--26 PP points last year vs just 9 this year. Had he kept the same pace, he could have been flirting with a 70 point season this year. Normally speaking, 21 year old centers scoring at that rate make bank. Keep in mind that the Leafs' other PP unit is a top-5 unit league-wide AND we're near the basement in actually getting on the PP... In other words he's in a less productive unit that also just doesn't get time. Of the 85 NHL forwards with greater than or equal to 50 points this season, our boy Willy is 80th, Matthews is 85th in PP points scored this year.

So it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Nylander follows Kadri and Rielly's footsteps and signs another team-friendly contact. It also speaks to how absurdly good Matthews had been in even-strength play this year.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Compared to last season, Nylander's PP production has dropped significantly--26 PP points last year vs just 9 this year. Had he kept the same pace, he could have been flirting with a 70 point season this year. Normally speaking, 21 year old centers scoring at that rate make bank. Keep in mind that the Leafs' other PP unit is a top-5 unit league-wide AND we're near the basement in actually getting on the PP... In other words he's in a less productive unit that also just doesn't get time. Of the 85 NHL forwards with greater than or equal to 50 points this season, our boy Willy is 80th, Matthews is 85th in PP points scored this year.

So it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Nylander follows Kadri and Rielly's footsteps and signs another team-friendly contact. It also speaks to how absurdly good Matthews had been in even-strength play this year.

last season some posters were saying Marners year was better due to more even strength points, now essentially same or similar posters are trying to say he is another tier to Nylander. The 2nd unit especially with Matthews out gave Nylander now real players to play with in terms of passing. Marleau, Brown are net crashes basically on that unit, sometimes Komarov is there. I dont think Marner would do much better on that cold unit.

Nylander has played well this year, yeah points arent there but he has taken another step defensively, and showed very well at C for whatever number of games he played there.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
6 x 5.5 million for both Nylander and Marner keeps us comfortable with the cap.

But players don't really care about the teams cap. They are interested in their salaries. If that was the offer from the Leafs, both players would likely just say no, sign short term for lesser amounts hoping for bigger riches in the future....including being UFAs in more money isn't coming from the Leafs.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
So the leafs have alot of contracts to deal with. But the one that is to expire after this season is the contract of William Nylander. So the question is will he resign? I think yes because right now he is enjoying playing in Toronto, he is also gonna get offered good money I say atleast $7,000,000 and there really isn't any other team for him to sign with. So let me know your personal opinions down in the comments below! Keep calm and go leafs go!
He's re-signing. He pretty much has no other option.
He's not getting $7M. 8/$50 is more likely.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
[
But players don't really care about the teams cap. They are interested in their salaries. If that was the offer from the Leafs, both players would likely just say no, sign short term for lesser amounts hoping for bigger riches in the future....including being UFAs in more money isn't coming from the Leafs.

True. With Ehlers getting $6M, it will be hard for Leafs to argue that they are worth less. They will play the take less so you can play with better players card as well as poking holes in their defensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad