Lets talk about William Nylander.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
I posted this over 2 years ago and got a lot of criticism.

Can William Nylander elevate his game come playoffs?

Anyone who has been watching the Marlies so far this playoffs will have noticed that Nylander really isn't standing out much. His style is very laid back and passive but he has incredible hands to finish plays off, but plays aren't coming to him and he isn't going out and creating anything for himself. Which makes me wonder, does he have another level of competitiveness? Looking at his career stats there's no indication of it. He was knocked out of the WJC too early to tell but his playoff stats with the Marlies last season and so far this season aren't very impressive, and MODO was one of the worst teams when he played there so they weren't sniffing the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Nylander. I hope he has another level. He's just so cool and laid back out there so it's hard to tell.

Still wondering the same thing today.

Reactions: LDN and Critical

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I asked you personally. If Nylander's bad performance so far is grounds to change our view on him, logically the same should be true for Matthews. Or do you disagree?

Personally, I think that overreacting to a series like this reeks of Oilers.

The difference is Matthews carried this team on many night during the regular season. Nylander has always been a passenger, except for a 10-15 game stretch where he showed glimpses of something more.

He's being outplayed by Danton Heinen and Jake DeBrusk. Those guys will make 2-3 million, and we're going to pay Willy 6+?

I am not saying trade Willy - I am saying don't give him that lucrative deal. That reeks more of the Oilers than anything.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I love Nylander, but Marner is a much better fit for Matthews.

Nylander should be playing Center on the second line.

Matthews - Marner
Nylander

That should be the main forward core for the next decade +

What on earth makes you look at the last 3 months and say "ya, Nylander would make a good #2C"?

Kadri is a great fit for that role. Putting Nylander on the 3rd line C maybe...but 2nd line C? He will get eaten alive.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Both Willie and Mathews were bad this series, they have moments where we go, that's it boys.... but those moments were far and few.
I really don't think Chara and others were the reason bc even Matthews were really back checking as hard as he could. It is not just points for these two but more to do witht their compete level. I don't mind if they are not scoring as long as they are making plays, disrupting plays and moving their feet. If you watch the game tapes against Caps and Bruins, you will come to the conclusion that playing the Bruins is their first exp of playoffs. I really don't know what's going on with these two but they are so much better than the way they are playing right now.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's having a bad series and it's magnified because of his economic skating style. Plus he genuinely just looks less engaged than we've seen him when he's gone beast mode a few times over the past 2 seasons.

I get why people are salty about it, but I'm not too worried going forward other than tensions with Babcock and contract negotiations.

Oh I’m not worried about it either - at least when it comes to how management will handle things, they’re - group who I think will always be level headed rather than let emotional reactions get the better of them.

Honestly, despite what some folks think around here i don’t think this playoff series is going to be a major impact on Nylander’s next contyract, before it started I would have predicted he’d get around the Elhers contract and that view hasn’t changed.

Hoping he (and Matthews) have a strong finish to the series regardless of how it goes

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The difference is Matthews carried this team on many night during the regular season. Nylander has always been a passenger, except for a 10-15 game stretch where he showed glimpses of something more.

He's being outplayed by Danton Heinen and Jake DeBrusk. Those guys will make 2-3 million, and we're going to pay Willy 6+?

I am not saying trade Willy - I am saying don't give him that lucrative deal. That reeks more of the Oilers than anything.
Matthews is also getting outplayed by Danton Heinen and Jake DeBrusk. And if Bruins get guys who score around 45-50 points while playing a solid two-way game for 2-3 million, I'd be absolutely amazed.

Oilers problem hasn't exactly been that they give out market value contracts. Getting rid of talent for flimsy reason definitely has been though.

As for passenger, Nylander has had elite micro stats regardless of whether he plays with Matthews or not. Guys who are passengers benefit from others doing the heavy lifting, they don't take charge of everything from breakouts to zone entries to playmaking themselves. This season, when they have been apart Matthews has suffered more than Nylander has. There's very little support for such a position.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
What on earth makes you look at the last 3 months and say "ya, Nylander would make a good #2C"?

Kadri is a great fit for that role. Putting Nylander on the 3rd line C maybe...but 2nd line C? He will get eaten alive.

I disagree. I think his style of game is much better suited towards being a center. He'll be better as a center than a winger.

I would have Nylander in a sheltered scoring second line, and Kadri becomes the checking 3rd line center who gets the tough assignments.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Both Willie and Mathews were bad this series, they have moments where we go, that's it boys.... but those moments were far and few.
I really don't think Chara and others were the reason bc even Matthews were really back checking as hard as he could. It is not just points for these two but more to do witht their compete level. I don't mind if they are not scoring as long as they are making plays, disrupting plays and moving their feet. If you watch the game tapes against Caps and Bruins, you will come to the conclusion that playing the Bruins is their first exp of playoffs. I really don't know what's going on with these two but they are so much better than the way they are playing right now.

It's really our defense versus Boston's defense...Boston has not given Matthews and Nylander much room with Chara and McAvoy playing against them and their forwards being down low to choke them away from the middle, keeping them away from Rask...as for our defense against Boston? Swiss cheese.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's really our defense versus Boston's defense...Boston has not given Matthews and Nylander much room with Chara and McAvoy playing against them and their forwards being down low to choke them away from the middle, keeping them away from Rask...as for our defense against Boston? Swiss cheese.

That’s what I’ve been seeing - they keep directing the play away from the net and prime high danger shooting areas and Matthews/Nylander have had difficulty adjusting.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Just being blunt here, Babcock, Lamoreillo, Shanahan, just don't like players like this. Good regular season (sort of), then disappears for the playoffs.

It's over yet. Someone should tell Nylander point blank that his managers are really disappointed right now.

Reactions: HockeyAnalystGenius

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Matthews is also getting outplayed by Danton Heinen and Jake DeBrusk. And if Bruins get guys who score around 45-50 points while playing a solid two-way game for 2-3 million, I'd be absolutely amazed.

Oilers problem hasn't exactly been that they give out market value contracts. Getting rid of talent for flimsy reason definitely has been though.

As for passenger, Nylander has had elite micro stats regardless of whether he plays with Matthews or not. Guys who are passengers benefit from others doing the heavy lifting, they don't take charge of everything from breakouts to zone entries to playmaking themselves. This season, when they have been apart Matthews has suffered more than Nylander has. There's very little support for such a position.

Seriously Nith?

This is the Nylander thread and trying to do a magicians deflection by bringing up matthews?

Kinda pathetic for a poster of your note.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seriously Nith?

This is the Nylander thread and trying to do a magicians deflection by bringing up matthews?

Providing context for a discussion is suddenly pathetic? Huh?

Not to mention you can’t talk about Nylander’s struggles this series without discussing Matthews too - they’re the tandem that’s supposed to drive the line. You can’t just ignore it....

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
Telling you now Nylander is gone ! He will get traded for d and picks

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
Just being blunt here, Babcock, Lamoreillo, Shanahan, just don't like players like this. Good regular season (sort of), then disappears for the playoffs.

It's over yet. Someone should tell Nylander point blank that his managers are really disappointed right now.
It’s funny just because guys show up in reg season they think he’s going to play the same way in the playoffs the guy is a wuss. Playoffs is a diff game. Would rather have brown playing in the top line ...

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Seriously Nith?

The point raised is that if you think you are objective about Nylander in saying that this series changes things, you should have the same view on Matthews. If you don't, then it's not likely an objective take.

I'm not deflecting from discussing Nylander. I'm giving context to point out that letting this series define him is unreasonable.

It's also kind of hard to answer a post claiming that Nylander is a passenger without addressing the player he supposedly is a passenger to.

Reactions: Menzinger

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
This thread is evidence of why rebuilding in Toronto is difficult. People ignore 2 successful regular seasons and a successful playoff series and crucify a player over 4 lacklustre games being matched up against the best line in hockey without a doubt. Outright clownish impatience.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The point raised is that if you think you are objective about Nylander in saying that this series changes things, you should have the same view on Matthews. If you don't, then it's not likely an objective take.

I'm not deflecting from discussing Nylander. I'm giving context to point out that letting this series define him is unreasonable.

It's also kind of hard to answer a post claiming that Nylander is a passenger without addressing the player he supposedly is a passenger to.

2 points of note

1) very high chance that matty is playing hurt , whats willis reason?

2) this was willis season to earn his contract, it ain't mattys

Far as i can see WNs camp wanted this season to show more so they could make more, say compared to Ehlers camp

best as i can see, i'm not even sure that he has earned a Ehlers level contract and not even in the same conversation as a Pastrnak.

definedMF

Apr 19, 2013
Big Yellow Joint
honestly, just cause we got good as quick as we did doesn't mean throw away pieces who have helped get us there. people need to get some perspective on things.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
This thread is evidence of why rebuilding in Toronto is difficult. People ignore 2 successful regular seasons and a successful playoff series and crucify a player over 4 lacklustre games being matched up against the best line in hockey without a doubt. Outright clownish impatience.

Did you not get the message? Team isn't rebuilding anymore.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
This place is fukcing terrible. Leafs fans always like to complain about other fanbases and how much they suck, but you know what? That's not true. Leafs fans are the worst.

People are blaming him that Matthews decided not to show up these playoffs. Then Babcock puts him with other guys, and he still looked terrible. Is this on William as well? Both guys have struggled, and it sucks for this team. But all we can do is to let them play through the pain.

lol, now Willie and Auston are not a great fit anymore because of 4 games? You guys are hilarious. Perhaps you should ask Willie what he is thinking about this-- oh, wait, I know what he is thinking, he talked about it last week.

Providing context for a discussion is suddenly pathetic? Huh?

Not to mention you can’t talk about Nylander’s struggles this series without discussing Matthews too - they’re the tandem that’s supposed to drive the line. You can’t just ignore it....
Nah, it's all Nylander, don't you know? But I decided to blame Matthews for Willie's bad games this season. That f***ing bum missed 20 games, who knows if this didn't affect William negatively?

Babcock called Willie out in his post-game interview. I'm positive he will bring his game. He is a young player who still has a lot to learn. Same with Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad