Lets talk about William Nylander.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We will be going backwards if the Goat and Aaltonen are 2Cs next year.

I'm not sure about that.

This is only the sophomore season for so many key players like

Andy,Zait,Matty,Marns,Willi,Hym,Brown----Growth is expected next season

Rook season for Dermott,Kappy,Borg- Growth is expected.

If we can't land any real impact players, then i say, leave slots open for "the kids" to try it.

We took a chance 2 seasons ago with 8 rookies and we did pretty well.

I'm not going to get overly concerned if we fill the "UFA" holes with

Kappy,Johnsson,Aalt,Goat,Borg.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We will be going backwards if the Goat and Aaltonen are 2Cs next year.

Hyman-Matty-Willi

Marl-Kadri-Marn

Johnsson-aalt-kappy

Grundstrom-Goat-Brown

Polak out Borg in

Does not have me bothered one little bit

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hyman-Matty-Willi

Marl-Kadri-Marn

Johnsson-aalt-kappy

Grundstrom-Goat-Brown

Polak out Borg in

Does not have me bothered one little bit

Love your passion and confidence. Yes, the kids will continue to grow but I am pretty sure we are not beating Boston or TB next year with that lineup.

Reactions: Critical

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Love your passion and confidence. Yes, the kids will continue to grow but I am pretty sure we are not beating Boston or TB next year with that lineup.

ok, so you drop aalt to 4th C and add a non high impact 3rd C, does that change much????

as for tbay/bost lots of things can happen

they can play each other in the 1rst round, we could finish 1rst.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah I agree. I've always been a Gauthier supporter but he hasn't progressed as they thought he would. I think it was a tough year for him with his injury and still have hope for him but his time is running out. He's turning 23 on the 27th this month and needs a new contract in the summer.

If they do sign Gauthier to a short contract, with Plekanec and Moore leaving just give Gauthier the 4th line to him and see how he does for the full year. Make or break time for him.
The goat had his make or break time and he is not a good enough skater to be a full time NHL player.

Reactions: Menzinger

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Marner's the only guy that has stepped up of the youngsters. Mediocre coaching and Matthews and Nylander have disappeared. If they haven't learned anything, which I'm not sure they have, they'll wear the playoffs around their necks like an albatross.

Reactions: Critical

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
He’s been such a disappointment these playoffs. Granted he’s gotten a tough matchup but I expect a good effort at least.

Same goes for Matthews.

I have no idea why you would expect a good effort from Nylander. It’s playoffs and it’s a mans game. In order to be successful you need to go to the tough areas, and pay the price. He lives on the perimeter, and plays scared.

When the going gets tough, guys like Nylander fold.

LeafsBoyo

Oct 18, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because his game doesn't translate in the terrible systems old man Babcock is running. That said he doesn't deserve a penny over 5.5 mill.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Still give him a long term contract. Luckily for us, he hasnt made himself any money with this playoff performance.

7x6-6.25 is ideal.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He’s been such a disappointment these playoffs. Granted he’s gotten a tough matchup but I expect a good effort at least.

Same goes for Matthews.
He's always had periods where he reverts back to not moving his feet, waiting for the game to come to him. This series he doesn't even want the puck. Before the season a friend asked me to briefly summarize our players, I said about Nylander that "With the puck on his stick, he dictates the game." Last season he was a breakout machine, because he'd dodge pressure, spin back and move the puck up when he was good and ready to do it with us having full control. Same with his zone entries, and how he controlled the puck in the offensive zone. This season he's lost a little bit of that in order to be safer. Interestingly enough, it's led to not only worse breakout numbers but also more turnovers in the defensive zone. He's insanely skilled, let him play at an incredible difficulty level.

This series though? His ambition seem to be to wait until Hyman works the puck out for him, pass it back to the point, and then wait to see if something fun happens. In a way, that's more worrying than the same old temporary lapses into old bad habits.

Since he is kind of an introvert and also more schooled in what to say to media than most, people don't really know that Willy is insanely competitive off the ice. I'd say that it's likely that he doesn't see any reason why he couldn't be just as good and important to the Leafs as Matthews. His whole life is about becoming as good as possible. He doesn't know any other way to be than to be the guy for his team. For that guy to shirk into a support role like this is worrying, even though it's important to remember that he did not do that at all against the Capitals.

Reactions: mammothCacti

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
He’s done nothing to deserve anything more then 6x6 right now

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's always had periods where he reverts back to not moving his feet, waiting for the game to come to him. This series he doesn't even want the puck. Before the season a friend asked me to briefly summarize our players, I said about Nylander that "With the puck on his stick, he dictates the game." Last season he was a breakout machine, because he'd dodge pressure, spin back and move the puck up when he was good and ready to do it with us having full control. Same with his zone entries, and how he controlled the puck in the offensive zone. This season he's lost a little bit of that in order to be safer. Interestingly enough, it's led to not only worse breakout numbers but also more turnovers in the defensive zone. He's insanely skilled, let him play at an incredible difficulty level.

This series though? His ambition seem to be to wait until Hyman works the puck out for him, pass it back to the point, and then wait to see if something fun happens. In a way, that's more worrying than the same old temporary lapses into old bad habits.

Since he is kind of an introvert and also more schooled in what to say to media than most, people don't really know that Willy is insanely competitive off the ice. I'd say that it's likely that he doesn't see any reason why he couldn't be just as good and important to the Leafs as Matthews. His whole life is about becoming as good as possible. For that guy to shirk into a support role like this is worrying, even though it's important to remember that he did not do that at all against the Capitals.

He and Matthews look very off this series.

Which is made more strange by the fact that they didn’t look like this against the Capitals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad