Lets talk about William Nylander.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
He and Matthews look very off this series.

Which is made more strange by the fact that they didn’t look like this against the Capitals.

Nylander was a passenger in the Washington series as well.. and it was incredibly obvious to anyone who watched the games. But, but... stats right? You don’t watch film. We get it.

Reactions: Critical

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He'll bounce back, and he and Matthews were never the best fit.

Having said that, if LA puts Doughty on the block this offseason (and I suspect that they will), I offer them Nylander.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
Build the team around Marner... Hyman is a keeper. Matthews will be a scorer but not sure he's a leader. Rielly, Kapanen, Johnsson act like they want to be here. Bozak could be the veteran they keep. Kadri is a **** disturber. The others can go. Somebody please explain the fascination with Andersen.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Willie is softer than butter that's been sitting out...I'm beginning to wonder whether Matthews would be better off with a 6'4 winger that's good in the corners, kinda like Sundin used to succeed with.

Reactions: 17 Clark

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Ehlers has been an impact player, Nylander has not.
That's not true. They've been about as important to their teams success to each other and have scored eerily similarly in the show. Do people forget the second half last year where Nylander went god mode and basically carried us to a playoff spot? He was also fantastic against Washington. He's too young and has way too much potential to give up on over one rough playoff series.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
That's not true. They've been about as important to their teams success to each other and have scored eerily similarly in the show. Do people forget the second half last year where Nylander went god mode and basically carried us to a playoff spot? He was also fantastic against Washington. He's too young and has way too much potential to give up on over one rough playoff series.

Fantastic against Washington LOL. Put on the tape of that series with anyone who knows hockey, and see how quickly you get laughed out of the room saying that. Amazing how so many of you have no idea what you’re watching. I guess that’s what happens when you learn about the game from reading charts and playing xbox.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Think he'll have much better compete as a centre who doesn't have to deal with board play all the time, but was disappointed with his game tonight. Wish Marner got put with Matthews for the 3rd to get an electric pair going since Marleau was invisible as well, so might as well shorten the bench

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

He was not good in last year's playoffs either. I just don't want to invest 7 million a year if this is the player we get.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I really don't understand what's going on with him. In terms of perceived effort and competitiveness, he's got to be at the bottom of the team's forwards in this past game. I think even Bozak and JVR are sticking their noses into the action, putting their bodies on the line more than Nylander. He's still a future PPG player in this league. But maybe elsewhere. He's the Leafs' most disappointing player in terms of my expectations and performance.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Folks will let emotions get the better of them unfortunately when it comes to looking at some players. A few bad plays from the last game will suddenly mean more to them than what that player has accomplished over the past two seasons.

Its getting to the point where I think this place is going to be unbearable between now and September.

Reactions: Max Money

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
I have no idea why you would expect a good effort from Nylander. It’s playoffs and it’s a mans game. In order to be successful you need to go to the tough areas, and pay the price. He lives on the perimeter, and plays scared.

When the going gets tough, guys like Nylander fold.

God damn, you literally are the real Dave Poulin.

And you're completely right. What we need is a real man's man. We need to have David Clarkson on the roster, and obviously Matt Martin.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Where is the same criticism for Matthews then?

And I really disagree with your assessment of him last playoffs.

Nylander is on everybody’s lips here and in the postgame thread, yet Matthews is supposed to be the best player not just on his line, but the team.

Not that I’m arguing a pile on him (far from it) just think the fury of folks is being a little too centred on Nylander (which is silly).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews and Nylander are an inconsistent duo. Sometimes they click and when they don't they look like the 93 Nordiques getting rolled over by the Habs.

Matthews in particular hasn't been that "drive train" player since his injuries. Not sure if he's ultra banged up and that's why he can't execute but he's looking very disinterested. Andreas Johnsson looks more involved every shift at 5'10" than Matthews' game right now. He just doesn't like mits in his face or battling that much.

We need to look at the WJCs and figure out what makes Nylander work. Would a Nylander-Kapanen-Johnsson finesse and speed line make more sense than the predictable Matthews-Nylander duo? Cut off the lane between the two and there's no plays.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nylander is on everybody’s lips here and in the postgame thread, yet Matthews is supposed to be the best player not just on his line, but the team.

Not that I’m arguing a pile on him (far from it) just think the fury of folks is being a little too centred on Nylander (which is silly).
Exactly how I feel too. I'm more disappointed in Matthews because I expected more from him. I think it's gone unmentioned around here just how bad he's been defensively through these four games, for example. I'm loathe to bring him up because I really don't want to get this place started with trying to tear down our franchise player, but I also don't think giving him a pass when Nylander gets all blame is fair either.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I love Nylander, but Marner is a much better fit for Matthews.

Nylander should be playing Center on the second line.

Matthews - Marner
Nylander

That should be the main forward core for the next decade +

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

He's having a bad series and it's magnified because of his economic skating style. Plus he genuinely just looks less engaged than we've seen him when he's gone beast mode a few times over the past 2 seasons.

I get why people are salty about it, but I'm not too worried going forward other than tensions with Babcock and contract negotiations.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Where is the criticism of Matthews?

Have you not read the GDT or PGT?
I asked you personally. If Nylander's bad performance so far is grounds to change our view on him, logically the same should be true for Matthews. Or do you disagree?

Personally, I think that overreacting to a series like this reeks of Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->