Lets talk about William Nylander.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
giphy.gif

He's had two 61-point seasons; spent more than 82 percent of his games on the wing and was one of our best players in the playoffs last year. The Leafs won't pay him just for his 34 games at center which he played over 2 1/4 seasons.

This board is f***ing clueless at times.

Reactions: carko32 and ToneDog

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Nylander proved he can play C at the highest level, it would be a tremendous waste to pigeon hole him into a scoring winger role when he’s shown can be more than that.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think Pastranak is better than both currently. I feel like he'll be the ceiling for both.

I agree. Pasta has scored 34 and 35 goals over the past two years. Willie and Mitch 42 and 41 respectively. Not sure how Pasta compares defensively. Leafs will argue that Willie and Mitch need to improve their defensive game to take the next step.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander proved he can play C at the highest level, it would be a tremendous waste to pigeon hole him into a scoring winger role when he’s shown can be more than that.

I don't think Babs agrees with you just yet. If he did, there would have been no need to trade for Pleks.

Jun 27, 2005
giphy.gif

He's had two 61-point seasons; spent more than 82 percent of his games on the wing and was one of our best players in the playoffs last year. The Leafs won't pay him just for his 34 games at center which he played over 2 1/4 seasons.

This board is ****ing clueless at times.

You've obviously never been in management.

Zack Hyman who doesn't play on the PP has more EV points than Laine who is looking at maybe $10M.

So what's Zack Hyman worth? Do you think that maybe Matthews might have something to do with Hymans fantastic production? Do I really need to type out the rest?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think Babs agrees with you just yet. If he did, there would have been no need to trade for Pleks.

There also would have been no need to play 38 year old Patty Marleau at centre while Matthews was hurt, and tax him with additional defense responsibilities had Babcock said faith in Nylander at this point as a top 6 centre.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
giphy.gif

This board is ****ing clueless at times.

Zack Hyman who doesn't play on the PP has more EV points than Laine who is looking at maybe $10M.

So what's Zack Hyman worth? Do you think that maybe Matthews might have something to do with Hymans fantastic production? Do I really need to type out the rest?

Strange that you used the same .gif as was in the post above but it's as if you never read the post. Here's the text in that post in case you're just looking at .gif's:

You calling Nylander a 50 point second line center when he's actually a 60 point winger is confusing. In order to "follow a conversation" you have to actually follow the conversation, not just look at .gif's. I hope that helps.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think Nylander being put into that center position for a short time and still producing speaks volumes to what his potential can be. He's going to be able to be versatile and do whatever Babcock wants him to do.
Going by only points, he's worth around an Ehlers or what Pastrnak is worth at 6-7m. First line winger with the potential to transfer to the center role if that's the route they want to take. A 21 year old turning 22 in May, he's got 2 60 point seasons already. There's nothing 2nd line about him. It's not that hard to see him cracking the 70 point mark next year.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
You're including Pastrnak & Ehlers NHL production prior to Nylander making the NHL....

Those games don't matter. They're all the same age & just making the NHL earlier than Nylander is a credit to both of the other guys.

It also makes their stats look worse in comparison. You should calculate all of their PPG since Nylander joined them in the NHL, you'll find Nylander in a clear last place.
I understand the point you're making, bottom line is they're still all good comparables. Depending on how the playoffs go too, Nylander could end up somewhere between Pasta and Ehlers salary. We'll see how he does. Glad he got his 20 goals.

Jun 27, 2005
Strange that you used the same .gif as was in the post above but it's as if you never read the post. Here's the text in that post in case you're just looking at .gif's:

You calling Nylander a 50 point second line center when he's actually a 60 point winger is confusing. In order to "follow a conversation" you have to actually follow the conversation, not just look at .gif's. I hope that helps.

Dude, you do realize that when you reply to a post you get the gifs with it right? And that there is an expand button that shows what people are replying to right? What happened to you man?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dude, you do realize that when you reply to a post you get the gifs with it right? And that there is an expand button that shows what people are replying to right? What happened to you man?

Just because you get the .gif's doesn't mean you're supposed to ignore the text. Of course you can ignore it if you like but then you look silly when you suggest that others aren't "following the conversation".

Now back to the subject at hand - did you see the text below? Did you understand it? Do you have anything to refute the contention that Nylander plays mostly on the wing and if not, why are you referring to him as a 2nd line centre?

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
$10.5 million, $8 million and $7 million for a combined $25.5 million for an AAV of $8.5 million for the big three. And add a boat load of Canadian Tire, Sportchek money etc. outside of the contracts. Does that work?

You're likely looking at at least $11.5M for 34, especially if the cap goes up as much as predicted. If we could get him to sign for $11M, I'd be happy. I don't think either 16/29 are making $8M, but I can see both signing 8x7.5, which doesn't change your combined salary for them.

Basically, I think we need to budget about $27M for the 3 of them and go from there. If they take discounts, fantastic! For comparison sake, Edmonton is paying McDavid/Drai/Lucic $27M combined, with another $6M for RNH, who is signed for 3 more years. If we can go with Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Marleau at only $250k more for one season, we're in a great position.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You're likely looking at at least $11.5M for 34, especially if the cap goes up as much as predicted. If we could get him to sign for $11M, I'd be happy. I don't think either 16/29 are making $8M, but I can see both signing 8x7.5, which doesn't change your combined salary for them.

Basically, I think we need to budget about $27M for the 3 of them and go from there. If they take discounts, fantastic! For comparison sake, Edmonton is paying McDavid/Drai/Lucic $27M combined, with another $6M for RNH, who is signed for 3 more years. If we can go with Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Marleau at only $250k more for one season, we're in a great position.

I really hope these figures are high and I believe they are. I think we'll try to sell them on taking discounts in order to win cups, let's hope they go for it. Even if they don't, I think these numbers represent the absolute top end of the range they'll fall into, basically it's a worst case scenario so again, I think there's plenty of reason to think we can do better.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC

I don't need to be in management to know that you are talking out of your ass.

You want the Leafs to pay Nylander as a 50-point center even tough has barely spent time playing down the middle. How can you argue giving a player a contract for a position he has not played much over 185 games in the NHL? Please elaborate. He is getting paid for putting up two 61-point seasons, plus his 13 points back in 2016. He is not only getting paid for 34 games and 24 points while playing at center. This is bullshit.

I would agree with you that the Leafs should pay him like a 50-point center if he had spent his two seasons at center and only put up 50 points. But that's clearly not the case. So he is getting paid like a 61-point winger. Capisce? They will offer him a contract between 6 and 7 mil and those are fair numbers.

Dude is making a fool of himself in the W.Nylander to Oiler thread.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/w-nylander-to-oilers.2474949/page-5

Last edited:

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I really hope these figures are high and I believe they are. I think we'll try to sell them on taking discounts in order to win cups, let's hope they go for it. Even if they don't, I think these numbers represent the absolute top end of the range they'll fall into, basically it's a worst case scenario so again, I think there's plenty of reason to think we can do better.
I'd love to say I think these are the absolute highest they'll sign for, but I'm not sure. I definitely think Marner/Nylander might be willing to sign for closer to $7M, but Auston is a whole other beast.

Considering McDavid signed for $12.5 when the cap was $75M, I wouldn't be surprised to see Auston's agent push for at least $12M. No, he doesn't have the point production that 97 had when he extended (or the awards), but his goal scoring is historic for a player his age, and his 2-way game is better. If you assume that 34 will have a +50-goal peak, and average 40-45, while putting up 90+ points per season, it's not out of the realm of possibility he comes close to matching McDavid's contract. If we can get Mitch/Willy to take a discount, then it doesn't really matter, but I don't know that they will. I think a worst case scenario is $29M between the 3 (13/8/8), which is still doable, but I don't think it comes to that. Anything under $27M is fantastic, and I could see it being as low as $25.5M for them.

Another huge plus is that we have 3 more years of Freddy @ $5M, and 4 more years of Rielly and Kadri @ a combined $9.5, which is amazing for our window!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

You want the Leafs to pay Nylander as a 50-point center even tough has barely spent time playing down the middle. How can you argue giving a player a contract for a position he has not played much over 185 games in the NHL? Please elaborate. He is getting paid for putting up two 61-point seasons, plus his 13 points back in 2016. He is not only ****ing get paid for 34 games and 24 points while playing at center. This is bullshit.

I would agree with you that the Leafs should pay him like a 50-point center if he had spent his two seasons at center and only put up 50 points. But that's clearly not the case. So he is getting paid like a 61-point winger. Capisce? They will offer him a contract between 6 and 7 mil and those are fair numbers.

to be fair a 60 point winger and a 50 point center would be roughly the same cap hit anyway. Nylander also played C in the SHL and the AHL on top of those 34 NHL games.

Jun 27, 2005
Just because you get the .gif's doesn't mean you're supposed to ignore the text. Of course you can ignore it if you like but then you look silly when you suggest that others aren't "following the conversation".

Now back to the subject at hand - did you see the text below? Did you understand it? Do you have anything to refute the contention that Nylander plays mostly on the wing and if not, why are you referring to him as a 2nd line centre?

Oh dear, it's too late for you. By all accounts Nylander is being groomed to replace Bozak. Nylander also played C in the SHL and the AHL. Someone recently posted that he took almost as many faceoffs as Matthews this season. Nylander played almost one quarter of the season at center (without Matthews even playing) getting 3 goals and 11 points in 20 games. It's a fairly small sample but did you watch those games? It wasn't good for Nylander and Lou knows and Nylander's agent knows it. Nylander is a product of Matthews.

Without playing with Matthews, Nylander is at best a 50 point 2-3 line center and should get paid like one. Similar to Kadri, better skills, weaker IQ and no grit, but not there yet, as I said from day one. Him and Hyman just hold Matthews back and pad their stats but hopefully next season when Nylander takes Bozak's spot we'll see.

It's sad that I have to repeat myself because you can't read a thread.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I agree. Pasta has scored 34 and 35 goals over the past two years. Willie and Mitch 42 and 41 respectively. Not sure how Pasta compares defensively. Leafs will argue that Willie and Mitch need to improve their defensive game to take the next step.

Even Ehlars has out paced them both with 54 goals.

Jun 27, 2005

You want the Leafs to pay Nylander as a 50-point center even tough has barely spent time playing down the middle. How can you argue giving a player a contract for a position he has not played much over 185 games in the NHL? Please elaborate. He is getting paid for putting up two 61-point seasons, plus his 13 points back in 2016. He is not only getting paid for 34 games and 24 points while playing at center. This is bullshit.

Well I guess in that case then if Hymen got some PP time he'd probably be almost as good as Nylander. Get it?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think Nylander being put into that center position for a short time and still producing speaks volumes to what his potential can be. He's going to be able to be versatile and do whatever Babcock wants him to do.
Going by only points, he's worth around an Ehlers or what Pastrnak is worth at 6-7m. First line winger with the potential to transfer to the center role if that's the route they want to take. A 21 year old turning 22 in May, he's got 2 60 point seasons already. There's nothing 2nd line about him. It's not that hard to see him cracking the 70 point mark next year.

Actually , that might not be accurate.

Sure as a winger with Matty he is 1rst line material but as a

C he very well might be 2nd line quality at that position.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Actually , that might not be accurate.

Sure as a winger with Matty he is 1rst line material but as a

C he very well might be 2nd line quality at that position.
Yeah that was a bad choice of words by me. I think if he does end up at center behind Matthews, he's not going to be your typical 2nd line scoring center. If they decide he needs to work more at center (Which I think they do and hope they do) I think he has 70 point potential in that position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad