OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
The new Scott Pilgrim animated series on Netflix is incredible

Different storyline than the comic books/original movie, but a lot of fun

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Finally finished the Castlevania series. Who thought this was a good idea to have a Dracula series without Dracula? It started with a banger in the first season and I loved a lot of the characters esp. Dracula himself and Belmont. But when Dracula leaves, man the series takes a major hit. I could have gotten used to it if the stories became more captivating but there was a lot of plodding and "longueurs" like we say in french. A lof of useless fights against faceless monsters. The story of Isaac had potential but it went nowhere. I don't understand the idea of building stories like big epics and ending up in a wimper. It happened so many times during the show and what happened with Isaac is an example of this. It looked like he was building an army of demons to take over the World and then....he just decided to not to. Hell I don't even know what he did. If you would tell me that Warren Ellis wrote this on acid, I would believe you. The battle with Belmont was quite nonsensical. He fight and beat and survive against a semi God-like demon and it's a creature that we had not seen at all during the whole show. So I was not invested at all. Really came out out of left field.

All in all, a lot midsguided decisions writing-wise but the animation as a whole was very good. And they did not sparre us on the gore side which was cool.

If they ever make movies out of those I guess they could extract some good of the elements from it but a lot of it they could put it aside and make it an overall more cohesive focused story. And keep Dracula in it. Say you have three movies. Dracula could go in Hell at the end of the second movie. And then the third movie could be the reign of Carmilla against mankind and Dracula comes back to fight her. Also all the demons created by Dracula's warlocks could be rethought and done in smaller doses. Cause it felt like crap thrown on the wall to see what sticks. Richard Armitage did good with the voice of Belmont but I would love seeing him play Dracula in the live action this time. With Nikolaj Coster-Waldau playing Belmont.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone watching the series Shining Vale with Greg Kinnear and Courtney Cox? Always liked Kinnear.

Here’s a sample (Season 1, Ep 8):

Season 2 is out up to episode 7.

Season 1 had 8 episodes.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Anyone watching the series Shining Vale with Greg Kinnear and Courtney Cox? Always liked Kinnear.

Here’s a sample (Season 1, Ep 8):

Season 2 is out up to episode 7.

Season 1 had 8 episodes.

How is it? I never heard of it until I saw the trailers last month for season 2.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How is it? I never heard of it until I saw the trailers last month for season 2.
I’ll need to see more. Barely saw 10 minutes of S1, Ep 1 — it’s intriguing. I’m back on it later tonight. I’ll revert back when I’ve seen a few episodes. Reviews look good FWIW.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Noticed that starting dec 17 Apple TV + is going to be 12.99 per month from the current price of 8.99

That’s a 44% raise.

Holy shit this is getting out of hand
Too many streaming services fishing out of the same pool. The industry needs to consolidate.

Reactions: dinodebino and zx81

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Noticed that starting dec 17 Apple TV + is going to be 12.99 per month from the current price of 8.99

That’s a 44% raise.

Holy shit this is getting out of hand
I don’t have Apple TV but that seem pretty expensive… what is on Apple TV that is most watch? Best thing is that you wait and sign up for a month and watch everything than cycle with other streaming service… I have Netflix share prime and Disney… prime video is included with prime and prime music so it is a pretty good deal even it the content isn’t the best… but I wouldn’t pay for Disney there barely a month worth of content and more than half of it is very avg it isn’t worth it at all… I had Apple TV for a month and besides Ted Lasso I didn’t see much that stood out of the sea of option… HBO is pretty good but it mostly old content again sign for a month watch the binge the lastest season and unsubscribe… If I had to make the choice I signup for Netflix for Like 7 months, and 1 month each to Prime video, Disneys and HBO take 2 month off…

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I’ve started watching Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on Apple TV and so far I am two episodes in and am enjoying it. Really good production values though since it is made for TV, the monsters in the title don’t make frequent appearances. Ill admit I am a kaiju junkie so this show appeals to me.

I do find original content is hit or miss on the streaming platforms. Disney for me is declining mostly because I only watch the MCU and Star Wars stuff and the Marvel shows in particular have not been good lately (other than the last season of Loki).

Netflix pisses me off because they cancel shows I actually like. All I am currently looking forward to is Rebel Moon and Stranger Things final season.

Reactions: Runner77

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I watched the new Indiana Jones last night and i only have good things to say. They did it right this time , as it looked like an old Indiana Jones movie , like the old ones we want to watch again and again. As far as i'm concern , i'm willing to forget that the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ever excisted, just like i i'm blocking from my memory Star Wars Part 7,8,9.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I finished watching Unicorn Academy season 1 with my daughters. It's tolerable and has nice themes of the power of teamwork and friendship.

I'd like to watch something with a lot of blood, profanity, and destruction but I don't know when I'll get the chance.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I finished watching Unicorn Academy season 1 with my daughters. It's tolerable and has nice themes of the power of teamwork and friendship.

I'd like to watch something with a lot of blood, profanity, and destruction but I don't know when I'll get the chance.
:laugh: me too but in 2023 , it doesnt exist anymore.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Too many streaming services fishing out of the same pool. The industry needs to consolidate.
what? Hulu and Disney+ are merging soon and that only means bad news for consumers. we're heading towards an airlines/telecom oligopoly with less competition and its gonna suck. rate hikes every other year baby. shareholders happy!!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
what? Hulu and Disney+ are merging soon and that only means bad news for consumers. we're heading towards an airlines/telecom oligopoly with less competition and its gonna suck. rate hikes every other year baby. shareholders happy!!!
Just from the standpoint that there are so many streaming services that most people will not subscribe to all of them and will have to forego content.

Perhaps a few can join forces to offer access to multiple platforms for a much lower price than if a viewer were to adhere to each of them separately. You’d still have competition from the others who don’t join in, in this type of outcome, so the consumer would benefit.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don’t have Apple TV but that seem pretty expensive… what is on Apple TV that is most watch? Best thing is that you wait and sign up for a month and watch everything than cycle with other streaming service… I have Netflix share prime and Disney… prime video is included with prime and prime music so it is a pretty good deal even it the content isn’t the best… but I wouldn’t pay for Disney there barely a month worth of content and more than half of it is very avg it isn’t worth it at all… I had Apple TV for a month and besides Ted Lasso I didn’t see much that stood out of the sea of option… HBO is pretty good but it mostly old content again sign for a month watch the binge the lastest season and unsubscribe… If I had to make the choice I signup for Netflix for Like 7 months, and 1 month each to Prime video, Disneys and HBO take 2 month off…

Almost exactly what I do lol.

Screw Disney though.......evil company and mindless content.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Saw the new Frasier, it was better and worse than expected. If they could replace his son and nephew with ones that can act, it would be better.

MV5BNGE0ZGJkZTktN2Q1ZS00OTgyLTllYTEtYjMwZTUxMjMyMjI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
right? I told myself the same thing , would look incredible if it was in french. But i understand why it can't be

Last night me and my girlfriend went to the movies on a whim , we ended up watching this slasher movie called Thanksgiving, easily the worst movie ive ever seen in my life , first time ive ever walked out of a movie theatre.

These trash movies are getting ridiculous 99% of them are garbage. Maybe its because I have a boomer mentality in a young lads body but seriously all these new movies are almost always trash.

Why can't it be though? when in the original languages it lends a more genuine feel to the movie.

Lot of crap for sure. Last new release I saw I tried to walk out but the flight attendant frowned on that!

That movie might be the last one at a theater that I had so much fun seeing it. It was recommended to us and was even funnier and better than expected. It was a very well done spoof and everyone did their role impressively.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Still cringing from that clip of Kelsey Grammer in his 2020 low budget action movie Money Plane that John Oliver panned a few weeks ago. I tried watching it and couldn’t believe how cheesy it was.

• Haha

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
To be fair, I was joking, LMAO!

Napolean, “Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever… but this rocket launcher is gonna erase you motherf**kers!”

Anyhow, on a more serious note, The Marvels has easily got to be one of the worst movies I’ve seen in quite some time. I went in with low expectations and the movie didn’t reach halfway up that bar.
To be fair, how could I be sure seeing what so many have posted, that from my perspective, is rather startling, real eye opener to say the least, kind of made me squeamish and cringe, but everyone has different standards, some have none from what I can see.
It appears the more outlandish and preposterous, the more it's embraced. Keeping in mind, this is a Habs site and many watch them play, and if that's considered entertaining it tells you that people will watch practically anything.:nod:

lol Jesus. He better be getting a helluva ‘pension’
He was very comfortable in his surroundings in a high-end senior assisted living environment. Had the nicest digs, plenty of diversions for that era of mid 70's when he was in his 80's and am certain he was taken care splendidly till the day he passed or if still going today, doubtful on that one though as he'd be around 130! :dunno:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
1-5826037534.jpg

Came across this at the WMart ,I know, never shop there, but it's convenient and my sibling was going and I currently can't drive and one stop shopping is time well spent. Needed to get a prescription filled and a new charger cord and picked up some wine and beer and more of those frikin addictive macadamia nuts at the same time. I remember it being very well received and saw just a few episodes here and there and thought it might be worth seeing from the start. And to think I never would have even watched it if not for a friend of mine that told me about it. He was pretty sure that I had went out with one of the girls that we met during a holiday in the States like a decade earlier and wanted to see if it was her, it was! As I recall Denis Franz was the lead and when the show ended, did like Bob Seger and quit to raise his family, got to respect that!

At the checkout, the cashier wanted to see my ID for the alcohol! Turns out they ID anyone that doesn't look 40! it has happened before at a Wmart in AZ but it was a while ago. And BTW, cashiers are not allowed to accept tips, I tried:nod::laugh:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Saw the new Frasier, it was better and worse than expected. If they could replace his son and nephew with ones that can act, it would be better.

View attachment 778568
I've been watching the new Frasier and have enjoyed it so far. High points: Kelsey Grammer is an unbelievably great comedic actor! The man's delivery and body language are so damn good he can almost carry the show by himself.

The writing – among the all-time best during its original run – is still very strong, however this new cast can't compete with the original. Needless to say, no one compares to David Hyde Pierce as one of the best supporting characters of all time. The dialogue and stories are arguably as clever as ever, but the actors delivering them are... just good.

I'll keep watching, but it's hard to imagine a show whose loyalty is anchored in the 1990s surviving for long in the radically new landscape of the 2020s.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've been watching the new Frasier and have enjoyed it so far. High points: Kelsey Grammer is an unbelievably great comedic actor! The man's delivery and body language are so damn good he can almost carry the show by himself.

The writing – among the all-time best during its original run – is still very strong, however this new cast can't compete with the original. Needless to say, no one compares to David Hyde Pierce as one of the best supporting characters of all time. The dialogue and stories are arguably as clever as ever, but the actors delivering them are... just good.

I'll keep watching, but it's hard to imagine a show whose loyalty is anchored in the 1990s surviving for long in the radically new landscape of the 2020s.
Like I said,had a hard time with the son and nephew,just pumped that they are not part of my family. The other supporting cast I've enjoyed though,time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad