OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
No joke, there were some massive hotties in those comics. Okay, maybe not Tintin, don't remember as much, but in Asterix...goddang, major hotties.

My son asked me once why comic book women wear tight outfits when it’d make more sense to wear baggier clothes to store weapons and why they are so, uh, well equipped.

My response is “be quiet and leave daddy alone.”

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
My son asked me once why comic book women wear tight outfits when it’d make more sense to wear baggier clothes to store weapons and why they are so, uh, well equipped.

My response is “be quiet and leave daddy alone.”
I think those books would be destroyed by liberals and feminists if they were created today.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think those books would be destroyed by liberals and feminists if they were created today.

Well, let me just say not the case. Pickup any comic today... definitely drawn with teenagers in mind. I’m talking about mainstream comics also.

Unless you were referring to Asterix? I haven’t looked at one since I was a kid so I don’t remember well.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well, let me just say not the case. Pickup any comic today... definitely drawn with teenagers in mind. I’m talking about mainstream comics also.

Unless you were referring to Asterix? I haven’t looked at one since I was a kid so I don’t remember well.
Maybe you're right. I don't really follow that world haha but it feels like everything always has to be politically correct.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fellabella :naughty:

Had forgotten about her, lol.

82208d5ba4651093dfff0ac70c4e0193.gif

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

i remember way back when, the first movie TV thread, the first thing we collectively tripped out on, all the hoopla and talk about was True Detective season 1, a masterpiece, still incredible to me
Season 2 was a flop, i enjoyed the final episode but overall a let down, it was so bad they thought about abandoning season 3 altogether and changing the whole narrative of the show

Im glad they seem to be back, hopefully with another jaw dropping season
Its a shame Carey Fukunawa couldnt just direct every episode ever lol

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
i remember way back when, the first movie TV thread, the first thing we collectively tripped out on, all the hoopla and talk about was True Detective season 1, a masterpiece, still incredible to me
Season 2 was a flop, i enjoyed the final episode but overall a let down, it was so bad they thought about abandoning season 3 altogether and changing the whole narrative of the show

Im glad they seem to be back, hopefully with another jaw dropping season
Its a shame Carey Fukunawa couldnt just direct every episode ever lol

The thing is Season 2 wasn't a flop, it was pretty decent. It just had the ridiculous task of following one of the best single seasons in television of all time.

Reactions: Redux91

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The thing is Season 2 wasn't a flop, it was pretty decent. It just had the ridiculous task of following one of the best single seasons in television of all time.
At risk of having people pull out flamethrowers on me...

I didn't think there was much difference between s1 and 2, at least not to me. I wouldn't elevate either to a "masterpiece", not by a long shot. Where s1 was a soapbox (with some questionable makeup) for the two leads, s2 was too convoluted and poorly acted at times.

Mind you, neither was "bad", that's not what I'm saying at all.

Reactions: Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Well say his mouth is as big as my extended arms, there's still plenty of room to be scorched, he won't swallow you whole, Especially with sharks, they want to take a bite first,

Also there was plenty of chances for gore, especially in the scene in the movie where you have thouands of people swimming near a beach in China. It was like the director was inviting them to be eaten, this is it, folks, this where the shark really unleashes! But then the good guys send a signal and the beast change course and nothing happens.

This is the story of the movie. It's a big "almost" movie.

A shark this big would not even bother with humans.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I bought LG OLED65E7P about a month ago. My hope is that I'll be able to watch some NFL games in 4k this upcoming season as well as other sports programming. I didn't really go 4k for movies/TV series, but it's a nice bonus as I see right now.

Last time I checked, OLEDs were really expensive and there wasn't enough in the way of programming to make it worthwhile.

The set you got is highly rated. Wondering what criteria you favored when choosing it and where did you find the best pricing?

Reactions: GoodKiwi

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
achilles talon. delivering a page-long gag using 14,000 words is where its at

(and im not even being sarcastic, achilles talon is the best)

Tintin, Asterix, Lucky Luke, Gaston Lagaffe (loved those), Spirou, les Tuniques Bleues, Pif...Those were my favorites. Plus Achille and La Rubrique-à-Brac.

Don',t read them much, but still have them.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Actually the worst of the worst are people who insist that they aren't actually just long-form comic books but rather "graphic novels" because they know how pathetic it looks for a supposed adult to be reading comic books. Same goes for people who talk about "story lines" and "plots" when discussing video games that they should have stopped playing about the same time they first touched a girl's boob.

If they ever got that far, of course. You never know with video game/comic book/sci-fi geeks.
How pretentious of you.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
At risk of having people pull out flamethrowers on me...

I didn't think there was much difference between s1 and 2, at least not to me. I wouldn't elevate either to a "masterpiece", not by a long shot. Where s1 was a soapbox (with some questionable makeup) for the two leads, s2 was too convoluted and poorly acted at times.

Mind you, neither was "bad", that's not what I'm saying at all.

I read your first line, and I thought you were about to start referring to Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown, and I did indeed start gearing up my flame thrower. Then I saw your Avy, and read the rest of your post, and it all made sense

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Last time I checked, OLEDs were really expensive and there wasn't enough in the way of programming to make it worthwhile.

The set you got is highly rated. Wondering what criteria you favored when choosing it and where did you find the best pricing?

The criterion I valued the most was pricing. :D

It's an older set (released early 2017 AFAIK) I got off of my friend (who upgraded to a newer set) for a fraction of the MSRP.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The criterion I valued the most was pricing. :D

It's an older set (released early 2017 AFAIK) I got off of my friend (who upgraded to a newer set) for a fraction of the MSRP.

Smart move. I think an outright purchase from an retailer neighbors in the $3500 range, if I'm not mistaken.

There's nothing like a friend who is an inveterate tech upgrader -- they usually give up on prime stuff too early and cheaply.

Now, I'll need to go out and find someone like that. :D

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
A shark this big would not even bother with humans.

I would agree to that. That is why it works better in the book, it's science-heavy to explain how the Megalodon works and why the shark does what it did. First time the other shark attacks it's because he is attracted by the electromagnetic vibrations of a sub. And the first time the second surfaces, it mainly eats whales for quite a while so Jonas and Mac spend days tracking Whales in Mac's helicopter and the shark is hard to find(there's an awesome shark attack on that particular helicopter that should have been in the movie). But much other things happens that spike its predatory instincts. Also for much of the book, the shark is blind(given it spent all its existance in the dark so cannot handle the light of the day) so it goes on a rampage without knowing what's in front of it. Not to mention things degenerate cause the American tourists want to see it and when the Navy and other people attack it.

The invisible tube thing is just all around better and much scarier in the book and funnier. Jonas' ex-wife does this so she can have pictures and become famous. Let's just say things do not go as planned. Oh my, if you only knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad