OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Love all of them, Cher,A’ha, Air Supply, etc. Second showing (rented off Apple so have to get the most of the rental and I still missed Brad Pitt. One of the few sequels that are better than the original.Great movie
To be honest if you really want to see Brad Pitt's cameo you're probably better off watching it on youtube. Considering Pitt charges 1 million dollars by the second, one second is probably all they could afford lol.

You may or may not know this but Deadpool was 11 years in the making. Reynolds had written the script and Fox had it locked up for years until one fateful day when someone supposedly "leaked" a trailer of the movie that went viral on the internet and with fans bombarding Fox with emails, 24 hours later Reynolds had the green light to make the movie thanks to support from the fans. The second film had nearly twice the budget of the first film and it's already made back as much money in just a few months as the first one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
To be honest if you really want to see Brad Pitt's cameo you're probably better off watching it on youtube. Considering Pitt charges 1 million dollars by the second, one second is probably all they could afford lol.

You may or may not know this but Deadpool was 11 years in the making. Reynolds had written the script and Fox had it locked up for years until one fateful day when someone supposedly "leaked" a trailer of the movie that went viral on the internet and with fans bombarding Fox with emails, 24 hours later Reynolds had the green light to make the movie thanks to support from the fans. The second film had nearly twice the budget of the first film and it's already made back as much money in just a few months as the first one.

lol.. Brad Pitt thing is just a joke. The Vanisher, no face and no voice. They probably just paid to have his name in the credits. Typical Wade joke.

Reactions: sandviper

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
We only see Pitt for half a second :laugh:

The whole X-Force scene, I was pretty sure that the Vanisher thing was a joke until he was fried and then I was like: "was that Brad Pitt?" :laugh:
If I didn't watch any easter eggs vids, I wouldn't have noticed Matt Damon but I knew he was speaking to Alan Tudyk mainly because of this movie (aka same ol' redneck role):

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010) - IMDb

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
He looks like Tyler Durden like that. The vanisher, split personality, fight club reference?

Wow... I wasn't really paying attention when I watched that scene.

"The Brad Pitt idea came pretty late, originally you never saw Vanisher, he was just invisible the whole movie," Reese explained. "But then someone had the bright idea of, what about a celebrity cameo there? And we’re now in the business where we can actually pick up a phone and call people and they say yes, that wasn’t always, historically, the case for Deadpool."
Reese added that the Fight Club and Seven star had personal reasons for agreeing to be in the film. "Brad Pitt’s kids love Deadpool, and he’s really nice, and he said he’d love to do it," Reese said. "And we shot it in half an hour one day, he came over to the Fox lot and just knocked it out for us."
Wernick revealed that Pitt essentially did the whole cameo scene for free, shooting the scene "for scale and a cup of coffee, that was the deal. Not sure his agent was entirely happy about that."
Reese quipped that "(Pitt) said he wanted to make sure Ryan himself went to Starbucks to get the coffee."

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Very funny, I love England so much I’ve been back once in nearly 4 years. My musical tastes are eclectic I go from rock to country to pop to opera. My top 2 songs of all time are November Rain and Barcelona (by the great late Freddie and Monserrat Caballe). Freddie is god as far as I’m concerned

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Watched Hereditary yesterday. For a scary flick, it was pretty decent.
I just don't get why there always has to be completely unrealistic behavior in horror movies. Like...you're scared, you wake up middle of the night because of a noise, not a single person in the world is going to then go investigate while keeping the lights closed..
Or the role of the skeptic character...who still acts like there is nothing abnormal going on despite witnessing obviously crazy crap.
I mean, I'm the biggest skeptic there is but if crazy shit is happening to my family, flame goes up, classes move by themselves and glasses break responding to my skepticism, pictures appear drawn in my dead kid's book, my dead mother in law's body is found at a very weird place, like...I'm not going to look to my wife as she's completely nuts imagining things...
At some point, skepticism is what is weird.

It's annoying as this always brings down the quality of movie for me. Bit of a slow starter but becomes more interesting later. Still fun watch.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There's a pretty connected guy in Hollywood and his friend said to him that he read the Watchmen script for the upcoming HBO show and he said it was a mess.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
A mess because it wasn't exactly like the comic book?

Pardon my barely veiled sarcasm, I don't know if your friend's friend is or not, but comic book purists are the worst, right after GoT book purists

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Against my better judgement I got talked into going to The Meg, I have a new entry into my all time top 10

Worst movies that is

I challenge any director to pull together another dozen actors/actresses that have zero on-screen chemistry and when Statham is by far your most talented you're in trouble.

I went in with my brain firmly checked at the door and still couldn't find a moment of enjoyment

Anyone wondering if its the next Jaws it's closer to Piranha 3D

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Very funny, I love England so much I’ve been back once in nearly 4 years. My musical tastes are eclectic I go from rock to country to pop to opera. My top 2 songs of all time are November Rain and Barcelona (by the great late Freddie and Monserrat Caballe). Freddie is god as far as I’m concerned
I'm just teasing you. I think it's great to be open to as many musical genres as possible. I don't know much country or opera, but quality is quality. The foundation of all music is built on the same pillars. That's why I'd never dismiss anything outright. There's so much beauty to be found in a single instrument, an orchestra, a groove, a voice, a stack of harmony, a melody line or a powerful climax. Music's a big part of my life -- personally and professionally -- and I've discovered stuff I'd never have listened to in a million years if it hadn't been part of a job.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There's a pretty connected guy in Hollywood and his friend said to him that he read the Watchmen script for the upcoming HBO show and he said it was a mess.
Watchmen was perhaps the greatest superhero film of all time. Maybe it was because I didn't know the comic and walked in with zero expectations, but man, I frikkin loved that movie! I'm shocked it took 'em so long to dredge up more material to throw onscreen, and also wouldn't be shocked if it was a pile of derivative crap. Again, not knowing the comic I have no idea if the story continued, or if this is another tiresome money-grab. It's hard to imagine where those characters could go after everything wrapped up so brilliantly in the film.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Just finished handmaid tale season 2. Overall good season, almost as good as season 1, but wow, f*** that ending :laugh:

And how did Serena suddenly develop multiple peraonality disorder?

Last edited:
Reactions: DaniLeafs

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I just don't get why there always has to be completely unrealistic behavior in horror movies. Like...you're scared, you wake up middle of the night because of a noise, not a single person in the world is going to then go investigate while keeping the lights closed..
Or the role of the skeptic character...who still acts like there is nothing abnormal going on despite witnessing obviously crazy crap.
I mean, I'm the biggest skeptic there is but if crazy **** is happening to my family, flame goes up, classes move by themselves and glasses break responding to my skepticism, pictures appear drawn in my dead kid's book, my dead mother in law's body is found at a very weird place, like...I'm not going to look to my wife as she's completely nuts imagining things...

It's annoying as this always brings down the quality of movie for me. Bit of a slow starter but becomes more interesting later. Still fun watch.

Coincidence, I watched it last night.

Funny how the movie trailer gave me a vibe that it was a story about dissociative identity disorder, which was actually part of the movie. I was a big fan of United States of Tara in which Toni Collette played Tara, a schizo with a dozen personalities. Despite being a marginal show on a small network, Collette was nominated and won many TV awards for her role as Tara.

I found Hereditary to be a bit predictable. At around half way through the movie we witness a hex written on a cloth, the first word is in reverse, like Hexes are supposed to be, cant remembe what the word was, but it was probably the name of the demon in reverse, followed by the word pandemonium which means the world of demons or the Capital of Hell in Milton's Paradise Lost. Hereditary, demon. Right there they gave too much away.

Anyway, really liked it despite its predictability. Hadn't seen Byrne in a movie in quite a while. Always liked him.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
I mean, I'm the biggest skeptic there is but if crazy **** is happening to my family, flame goes up, classes move by themselves and glasses break responding to my skepticism, pictures appear drawn in my dead kid's book, my dead mother in law's body is found at a very weird place, like...I'm not going to look to my wife as she's completely nuts imagining things...

I don't understand how people expect characters to behave "normally" when you have completely abnormal and surreal things happening around them. You have a satanic cult floating headless bodies around and you expect everyone to have 'normal' reactions. In a surreal environment, everything will likely be surreal.

Hereditary was incredible.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Coincidence, I watched it last night.

Funny how the movie trailer gave me a vibe that it was a story about dissociative identity disorder, which was actually part of the movie. I was a big fan of United States of Tara in which Toni Collette played Tara, a schizo with a dozen personalities. Despite being a marginal show on a small network, Collette was nominated and won many TV awards for her role as Tara.

I found Hereditary to be a bit predictable. At around half way through the movie we witness a hex written on a cloth, the first word is in reverse, like Hexes are supposed to be, cant remembe what the word was, but it was probably the name of the demon in reverse, followed by the word pandemonium which means the world of demons or the Capital of Hell in Milton's Paradise Lost. Hereditary, demon. Right there they gave too much away.

Anyway, really liked it despite its predictability. Hadn't seen Byrne in a movie in quite a while. Always liked him.

Ya, I thought they wasted Byrne a bit. He wasn't really involved much. Could have had a complete no name, it wouldn't have changed much.
Too bad, Byrne earned infinite praise from me since that restaurant scene in End of Days. Being a 16yo boy back then, holy crap that was a serious power move.
Of course, in today's context, you'd feel guilty for just liking that scene, but I loved Byrne ever since..lol

I thought there was going to be a bit more to the story...and I'm still not sure what the connection with the mom-friend came from...but maybe that's because my gf kept asking me what's going on every 5 minutes...so I might have missed something.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Watchmen was perhaps the greatest superhero film of all time. Maybe it was because I didn't know the comic and walked in with zero expectations, but man, I frikkin loved that movie! I'm shocked it took 'em so long to dredge up more material to throw onscreen, and also wouldn't be shocked if it was a pile of derivative crap. Again, not knowing the comic I have no idea if the story continued, or if this is another tiresome money-grab. It's hard to imagine where those characters could go after everything wrapped up so brilliantly in the film.

Did you watch the uncut/ultimate version? If you like Watchmen, you have to watch that version.

And I agree. I still see it as the best superhero movie of all time.

Snyder captured the spirit of Watchmen extremely well, its anthological hommage to the Silver age of comic books, the style and delivery. I've never seen a comic adaptation so beautifully done. There aren't a lot of subjects in the comic world that could give a director such a direction. That's why it's so unique. Watchmen is a very unique comic book, and Snyder translated it perfectly into a very unique movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad