OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I went to the local Costco for something else but while there I saw a bunch of 4K 65”. I think I saw a LG for around $1300 give or take. I can deal with that price.
I remember paying around that price for a 720hp samsung 46in...
Can't keep up with tech.

Reactions: HBDay

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
LG currently has a lot of 65'' OLEDs. You need to research the model number. An annual subscription to Consumer Reports online is quite cheap.

I recently checked out some other sites and they were not nearly as in-depth and looked at a lot fewer products.

Like I said in the other post, Samsung power supplies are known to break down often. Still a fan of Samsung though, just saying, if you buy one, don't be suprised. This has been going on for more than a decade, it's actually become comical everytime I hear another Samsung PS story.

Reactions: groovejuice

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
It can't be a Samsung plasma if you haven't had a problem with the power supply in less than 10 years :laugh:

E-v-e-r-y-o-n-e I know who's had a Samsung, no matter if it was plasma, ACL, LED or OLED, has had the damn power supply malfunction.

The fact you don't have markings anywhere is pretty strange. Printing happens before assembly. If it was just the brand, I'd say they were for internal use, but with absolutely no printing on it, I'd say they were pre-production demos.

aaaaaaaah never considered that...

still though, works like a charm and no, still no power supply issues (knocks on wood)

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I remember someone in here mentioning a Finnish TV series, but can't remember which one it was exactly.

Was it Karppi (Deadwind) by a chance? If so, is it any good?

It was your humble servant. I didn't end up watching it, I did the same as you -- asked if anyone had seen it.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Like I said in the other post, Samsung power supplies are known to break down often. Still a fan of Samsung though, just saying, if you buy one, don't be suprised. This has been going on for more than a decade, it's actually become comical everytime I hear another Samsung PS story.

I have an 7 yo Samsung - not a plasma. Never had any issues at all. Will upgrade eventually.

LG has captured the market for quality. I'll be looking there next.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I remember paying around that price for a 720hp samsung 46in...
Can't keep up with tech.

My first big TV was a Hitachi 52” projection. I paid $3500 for that monster. Paid $1300 for my current 55” 1080p Samsung.

High end stuff will cost more, I get it, but it is crazy how fast tech moves and how cheap it gets... except computer gaming hardware. Video card my son wants is like $800.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
My first big TV was a Hitachi 52” projection. I paid $3500 for that monster. Paid $1300 for my current 55” 1080p Samsung.

High end stuff will cost more, I get it, but it is crazy how fast tech moves and how cheap it gets... except computer gaming hardware. Video card my son wants is like $800.
Ya..the TV prices drop like crazy.

The computer games I never really tried to keep up. It never made sense to me how they make video games that can't run on your cpus. Even now, if I try to play Civilization on my new laptop, it feels like I could cook on omelette on my laptop after playing for 15min.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have an 7 yo Samsung - not a plasma. Never had any issues at all. Will upgrade eventually.

LG has captured the market for quality. I'll be looking there next.

What's the market like for a 65 inch, 4K these days?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Ya..the TV prices drop like crazy.

The computer games I never really tried to keep up. It never made sense to me how they make video games that can't run on your cpus. Even now, if I try to play Civilization on my new laptop, it feels like I could cook on omelette on my laptop after playing for 15min.

I run Civ6 on a Dell Latitude 6530 with a i5 core, 8gb of ram and a 1gb nvidia intergrated video card. It runs pretty smoothly, like most games.

I use a Cooler Master and run the laptop on my flatscreen in single display mode to give some of the workload up to the TV. The laptop did get pretty hot before I got the CM.

What's your Steam handle?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I run Civ6 on a Dell Latitude 6530 with a i5 core, 8gb of ram and a 1gb nvidia intergrated video card. It runs pretty smoothly, like most games.

I use a Cooler Master and run the laptop on my flatscreen in single display mode to give some of the workload up to the TV. The laptop did get pretty hot before I got the CM.

What's your Steam handle?
I'm still on Civ5, my laptop is Dell Inspiron13 7000series...That's about my level of knowledge for cpus.

My steam name is azzizzuzz

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Speechless. Just f***ing speechless at the greatness that was s2ep1 of Ozark. Holy shit, some of the most entertaining stuff I've ever seen in my entire life.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It can't be a Samsung plasma if you haven't had a problem with the power supply in less than 10 years :laugh:

E-v-e-r-y-o-n-e I know who's had a Samsung, no matter if it was plasma, ACL, LED or OLED, has had the damn power supply malfunction.

The fact you don't have markings anywhere is pretty strange. Printing happens before assembly. If it was just the brand, I'd say they were for internal use, but with absolutely no printing on it, I'd say they were pre-production demos.
I have an old ass samsung plasma 65 inch and its all good in the hood. The only issue I have is that before it gets hot, theres a fine pixel line down the middle, lasts about 10 minutes or so, and Im a god at shooter games for those 10 minutes. And when I say hot, I mean it. That shit could warm up a whole house in winter better than a wood stove.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
So, understandably, Ozark has slowed down after the riot of its opening episode. Still very good, but it's back to what the show I remembered was. To be honest I'm a little let down by the sharp drop-off. :(

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Cant wait to start it, finally something good. Ill try to not binge watch it.

You know what they say -- get up from your couch once every hour, binge watching is the worst.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How did we get from this:

Speechless. Just ****ing speechless at the greatness that was s2ep1 of Ozark. Holy ****, some of the most entertaining stuff I've ever seen in my entire life.

To this:

So, understandably, Ozark has slowed down after the riot of its opening episode. Still very good, but it's back to what the show I remembered was. To be honest I'm a little let down by the sharp drop-off. :(

I know. Spoilers.

Hopefully it picks up.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
So we won't have to watch season 1 again, as a refresher? All right.

It's standard with Netflix original series. They give you an option to watch a brief (few minutes long) recap of the previous season before the new one starts playing. This recap wasn't just scenes edited together, it was narrated by one of the characters in the show. I found it to be pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad